Any chance of nightvision & regular goggles?

I guess the title of this post pretty much sums it up: will there ever be a release where the troops are wearing nightvision devices at night and regular goggles during the day? By the way, I'm not expecting 3D meshes over the eyes for the regular goggles, but rather tilted up on the helmet's front.

As simple as it seems, it's difficult for me not to ever stop wishing that these devices that dominate every image we've ever seen of our fighting forces is completely absent from the title now. PLEASE include these in the next release of the patch.

I was with one of the first units to go through the National Training Center. Our second day there, some of the trainers took a few of us up on a mountain overlooking the valley where the NTC sat. Way off in the distance we saw literally thousands of sparkly lights reflecting off the valley floor. The trainers told us that the lights was our Brigade. It was the sun reflecting off the goggles the soldiers had positioned on the front of their helmets. We immediately went down and had our soldiers remove them from their helmets. Whenever we were not wearing them, we worn them around our necks. That was part of an important lesson we learned--how to blend into the desert.

Since, I have been out of the army for some time, I don't know the current procedure for wearing goggles. But unless technology has changed and the glass on the goggles don't reflect sunlight or some other procedure, I would think that the wearing of goggles on the helmet would still be wrong.

I thought I would pass this on. I would like to hear from someone with more recent experence regarding this.

I was with one of the first units to go through the National Training Center. Our second day there, some of the trainers took a few of us up on a mountain overlooking the valley where the NTC sat. Way off in the distance we saw literally thousands of sparkly lights reflecting off the valley floor. The trainers told us that the lights was our Brigade. It was the sun reflecting off the goggles the soldiers had positioned on the front of their helmets. We immediately went down and had our soldiers remove them from their helmets. Whenever we were not wearing them, we worn them around our necks. That was part of an important lesson we learned--how to blend into the desert.

Since, I have been out of the army for some time, I don't know the current procedure for wearing goggles. But unless technology has changed and the glass on the goggles don't reflect sunlight or some other procedure, I would think that the wearing of goggles on the helmet would still be wrong.

I thought I would pass this on. I would like to hear from someone with more recent experence regarding this.

There is this wonderful stealth technology for goggles... it is called a sock. :D

+1 on NVGs appearing on models. It sould take an experienced 3D animator/modeller whole 5 minutes to make, however it might take weeks to code to work properly and thus be at the very buttom of priority list.

Radios is another visual addition that i would LOVE to see. Infantry section just doesn't feel right without a guy with a backpack radio :D

I am rather ashamed that that never occurred to me, even though I was an RTO. :D

It only occured to me on the drive home today...after playing the game since it's release and having completed Canadian Forces comms course. So no shame there whatsover.

Some sort of idle anim with squad leader using the radio mike would be extremely cool as well and give the squad a less robotic and more organic feel.

i agree with the radio thing although i don't think there is such thing as an idle animation in CMSF cuz there aren't any. but then a new death thing would need to be made if the commander got killed with the radio.

I think socked goggles would also be nice as well as unsocked ones.

OM, I think the OP was really talking about getting the Models to wear the NVGs and Ballistic Goggles. Kids today no imagination. Too much Sam Fischer. :rolleyes:

I kid, it would be a nice eye candy. Maybe a little low on the priority. At least we got them to add the NVGs as an icon to the equipment list.

What may slow 'em down on adding night vision goggle placement - there's no WWII payoff. Just about every programming tweak and addition they've done recently will have an affect downstream on the WWII title. Except writing code for balancing NVGs on the noses of soldiers. There's no WWII equivalent to NVGs, so night vision goggle placement code would be a 1 title feature. Not to say they wouldn't do it, just that the likelyhood that they'd devote the labor to get it in now is pretty far down.

What may slow 'em down on adding night vision goggle placement - there's no WWII payoff. Just about every programming tweak and addition they've done recently will have an affect downstream on the WWII title. Except writing code for balancing NVGs on the noses of soldiers. There's no WWII equivalent to NVGs, so night vision goggle placement code would be a 1 title feature. Not to say they wouldn't do it, just that the likelyhood that they'd devote the labor to get it in now is pretty far down.

I thought a proper modern warfare CM was planned as well, where all the feautures from CMSF could be "recycled".

These are just a few eye-candy additions we're asking for to give individual troops a little bit of personality (they added flying brass and reload sounds, why not add NVG models, radio model for a radioman, few LAWs slung over shoulders).

It's silly to imagine stuff when CM engine is fully able to recreate pretty atmospheric and visually impressive battles at ground level, and adding "little things" makes the experience even more convincing (hey, BFC started it with all the eyecandy and the fanbase is totally spoiled compared with rather Spartan in appearance CMx1 :D )

Unfortunate but true - if we could add 3D objects, I'd a build a whole new hobby around modding that stuff for infantry. I could only imagine the nightmare for BFC supporting that, though.

Well, in the end it can be made so that as long as the soldier has a correctly defined skeleton and selections it will work in the game. This can both be fairly easy to implement, or a total nightmare. Depends on how the code is structured from the start, and since I'm not that good at reading crypted code through a hex editor I can't tell :P

Hopefully we'll get modding support for that kind of stuff though. So that even though they don't let us add/modify animations we can at least modify the model mesh. :rolleyes:

Well, in the end it can be made so that as long as the soldier has a correctly defined skeleton and selections it will work in the game. This can both be fairly easy to implement, or a total nightmare. Depends on how the code is structured from the start, and since I'm not that good at reading crypted code through a hex editor I can't tell :P

Hopefully we'll get modding support for that kind of stuff though. So that even though they don't let us add/modify animations we can at least modify the model mesh. :rolleyes:

BFC will not allow modders modify the model mesh - period.