Is FF3 the Great Leap Backwards?

John Kettler

While I welcome security upgrades to problems as they're found, I didn't welcome what they did to my browser's appearance. If I wanted something that depressing visually, I'd go to the back of the A&P where I was interviewed for bag boy in my high school days! Not bright, not cheerful, definitely not easy to read. Black lettering against anthracite backdrop! How I loathe hipness at the expense of functionality!

A friend of mine just installed it on his PC (mine's on an iMac), and he's up in arms over gross misuse of space in the browser bar for arrows. Also, I found it took some doing to simply open and edit my bookmarks. No telling what other surprises await. Am okay without Stumble Upon (a known incompatibility), seeing as how that was a great idea I never got around to implementing.

I don't consider something harder to see, harder to use and a space hog to be progress. Fix the security problems? Great. But why did they muck about with the parts that were just fine? Anyone else not thrilled with FF 3?

Regards,

John Kettler

I'm loving it, although I haven't used it since 1.something. I made the transition from IE6 to FF 3.01 just a few weeks ago. I don't bother with that Stumble upon thing. Also organizing my bookmarks is great, much better than IE, just different and takes some getting use to. I also turned off the 'bookmarks' toolbar for better use of space. The only add-on I use is the PopupSound, I haven't tried much else.

Just give it some time.

Just click on Tools at the top and then click on Add-ons. There you'll find a link to browse recommended add-ons or all of them. You can also access options for your installed add-ons. But if you don't like something you can easily disable or uninstall it from there too.

Edit: Actually I just installed the flagfox add-on, it puts a small flag at the bottom right of the browser. It lets you know what country the server is located in and if you click on it, it'll take you to geotool site showing a map. This doesn't necessarily make browsing better or easier, but it's just plain kool. Just checked the battefront server, it's located in San Francisco, CA.

Edit: Actually I just installed the flagfox add-on, it puts a small flag at the bottom right of the browser. It lets you know what country the server is located in and if you click on it, it'll take you to geotool site showing a map. This doesn't necessarily make browsing better or easier, but it's just plain kool. Just checked the battefront server, it's located in San Francisco, CA.

The tool is a bit off, as it reported that the server that is sitting here on my desk in Bellevue is really in Tacoma. But hey it is kinda cool anyway.

Wakarimasen! I just don't get it! Yesterday, when I clicked Tools, then Add-Ons, then Themes I got the 300 themes. Tonight, I get a little box showing me Firelight, with the option to use it or remove it. Allegedly, the first button changes the theme, and I don't know what'll happen if I kill the only theme I have (will the browser even work?), so I'm stuck. How do I get my theme list back? Possibly confusing matters is that I did install ABP, then restarted FF3.

Regards,

John Kettler

John, just read the things you're clicking. Look for a link saying "Browse all Add-ons".

No don't, just keep clicking all the links as many times as you possibly can as fast as you can. :D

Seriously though, I don't think its even possible to delete your default theme. Sounds like your confusing the internet download list with whats actually installed in your FF. The first small box you get after you click on Add-ons under the tool menu is whats installed in your FF. To search for more, click "Get add-ons" and then click "Browse all add-ons" and then that takes you to the website. When searching I recommend using the advanced search in order to bring up a list of the updated 3.0 stuff.

By the way, what's ABP?

Other Means,

Thanks! Am giving Walnut a try. Huge improvement and there's something deliciously perverse about using a wood theme on a computer. Rather like the way TVs and stereos used to be made--inside furniture housings!

BFC,

Am not entirely certain, but I think FF3's causing a Forum issue. Several times tonight,

I've attempted to post replies on the CMSF Forum, once in a thread I started myself, only to get a "prohibited action" error message. A refresh took care of it in one instance, but I had to do a Forum log-in the second time.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 1 month later...

I think that Firefox 2.x UI royally stinks. Never used IE so can't compare, but FF has so many obviously braindead things in there where it could be more efficient, steal things from real Linux applications.

Of course, for me there's no going back. A browser without ItsAllText, Flashblock, Adblock and Submittotab will probably be a nightmare in today's web.

I once used various other browsers that are using the Mozilla rendering engine and put a better UI around it, but of course they just won't load these extensions.

A friend of mine just installed it on his PC (mine's on an iMac), and he's up in arms over gross misuse of space in the browser bar for arrows.

gross misuse of space for arrows? I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Mu UI is is compact and efficient. It's the dull default colors but as many have pointed out, you can change themes easily.

Also, I found it took some doing to simply open and edit my bookmarks.

Yes, it can be real tricky to right click on your bookmark to edit them