Weird Houston News

Interesting comment to the story:

It's not racist but it brings to mind an issue I am grappling with and that is putting up my McCain sign in my front yard because half my neighborhood is african american. Several black families live on my street and my neighbors on one side are black. And I have this huge fear I will be thought of as racist if I don't support Obama.

I also know since where I teach it is predominantly african american I won't be putting a McCain sticker on my car for the same reason.

If Obama was not black, I would have no problem expressing my Republican views but this whole race thing does scare me.

LINK

C'mon Abbott, update your site, I want to see how the bus's plumbing is coming along!

I haven't gotten around to the plumbing as of yet, I am still doing the carpentry work inside. However that will be coming to a standstill as the plumbing will soon stop the work. At the moment I am searching for a waste tank or tanks, that's where the plumbing will start. For now I am building a set of bunk beds with a battery box and storage for rifles and shotguns when heading out for shooting sports. I am also getting ready to paint the roof with a BRIGHT white paint mixed in will be a ceramic additive from 3M to reflect heat.

GJK,

An interesting predicament, indeed, especially considering it's unclear quite how things will work out within the aforesaid racial grouping of concern.

Abbott,

Since you brought up your opus on tires, have you looked into this for insulation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerogel

Bigduke6,

This guy wants to know: "Can't we all just get along?"

http://www.trabel.com/brussel/brussel-manneken.htm

Regards,

John Kettler

• 1 month later...

Still drop by and lurk occasionally. I just remain a little peeved about BFC wiping this place clean--again--but I guess that's neither here nor there.

Thank you one more time for your most generous offer. The wife is going to her hospital and I am going to ride it out at home with our geriatric cats. If things go like they are supposed to, we will have 80-ish mph winds in this part of town. Not fun, but also not likely to be catastrophic.

Believe it or not, I still have your phone #s in my cell phone from Rita in 2005. Perhaps in a couple of days I'll see the error of my ways, but that storm was hugely more scary than this one. 175 mph (!) winds a few days out, and < 1 month after Katrina to boot. Eeeep.

Those GF denizens who are into such things, please keep the 5.6 million residents of the greater Houston area--not to mention points east--in your thoughts.

I made the same offer in 2005? Damn I'm getting soft in my old age.... :P

Ok brother, hang tight, stay safe and let us know how the ride was....

You sure did. Let me find the threa...

Oh, yeah. They've all been nuked. :(

GJK, stuff like you remembering 1) how to spell my idiotic user name, 2) that I live in Houston, and 3) that I might need a place to crash during a storm like this is why this is (was?) a real community in the best sense.

Abbott, I appreciate your post very much as well. Thank you.

Jeff

P.S. I was shocked to learn today that the Rangers are the highest scoring team in the AL. I was less shocked to learn that they also have given up more runs per game than any other staff in the AL. ;)

P.S. I was shocked to learn today that the Rangers are the highest scoring team in the AL. I was less shocked to learn that they also have given up more runs per game than any other staff in the AL. ;)

If you follow the Rangers for any length of time, you won't be shocked with that stat. It's the same every year. I think that the Rangers have the best hitting coach in baseball (Rudy Jaramilo) and are in a great hitters park (who's idea was that???) and they have the worst pitching staff year after year. There's a saying in baseball: "as the Texas weather heats up, the Rangers pitching staff cools off" and it's true. They start to fall apart around the All-Star break every year.

GJK, stuff like you remembering 1) how to spell my idiotic user name, 2) that I live in Houston, and 3) that I might need a place to crash during a storm like this is why this is (was?) a real community in the best sense.

And not to forget 4) that you lean liberal yet I still invite you to stay here. Now if you'd of posted something like "why remember 9/11, why is that day any different from any other?" I'd of told you to go to hell and hope that the hurricane takes you with it. There, now I'm getting crass again..... ;)

Hope you weathered the storm GWDWD - thankfully reports this morning indicate that the loss of life was minimal (1 confirmed thus far, not counting the pre-storm death yesterday). I hope that you weathered it ok, though no doubt you are without power at the moment so we won't hear from you for a little while.

I don't see much hope GJK.

There seems to be too much anger and vile and hatred being spewed by a few that drowns out the dwindling numbers of others.

The latest fiasco by that farmer guy was enlightening. I applaud those who spoke out against his hatred.

What was interesting was that some of those eagerly lambasting an innocent attempt to remember 9/11 didn't utter peep 1 against a truly hateful individual.

That spoke volumes about those people...hearts of darkness

Thus goes the gf these days...