Weird Houston News

I don't think it speaks volumes. After the threads went anti-Semitic there was limited time to put ones oar in. I did, and I reckon RMC would've too, had he had the opportunity. Disagreeing with you on some issues does not make us Evil fanboys of anti-semitism.

Oh, and was the GF ever any different? Acrimony has always been part and parcel of these boards. Remember the delightful days of Frunze? The memory that we use to hang out here holding hands and singing "Kumbaya my lord" is false.

Elmar,

I'm not talking about the disagreeing. Disagreement is fine and actually healthy if we desire to learn and grow as people. That is not what I am talking about.

I'm talking about the deliberate mocking/bashing of a 9/11 tribute, and then silence in another very hateful thread.

The gf has always been about differing points of view.

My point was that the views seem to becoming much more one-sided and MUCH more full of hate, anger, and venom.

That is what has changed the most in the the 9 years I've been here.

I don't think it speaks volumes. After the threads went anti-Semitic there was limited time to put ones oar in. I did, and I reckon RMC would've too, had he had the opportunity. Disagreeing with you on some issues does not make us Evil fanboys of anti-semitism.

Oh, and was the GF ever any different? Acrimony has always been part and parcel of these boards. Remember the delightful days of Fruntze? The memory that we use to hang out here holding hands and singing "Kumbaya my lord" is a lie.

My point was that the views seem to becoming much more one-sided and MUCH more full of hate, anger, and venom.

That is what has changed the most in the the 9 years I've been here.

I don't know about that. ISTR that there was always a fair amount of hate and anger right along. It's gone through periods when there was less and then there was more, sort of like sunspots. But I've seen lots of meltdowns over the years.

Michael

Just checking in. Things in my neck of the woods aren't normal, but they're not terrible, either.

Still no electricity at home (even though houses within 30 yards of ours have it--grrrr) so I'm posting from my office. Our house suffered what seems like only minimal damage--one, possibly two very minor water leaks and some paint removed from the patios.

We live in a 3-story townhouse in a crowded part of town, so I can't actually get far enough away from our building to assess damage to the roof, and I have no way of getting up there myself (not that I would anyway). I'm considering putting in a call to our insurer just to let them know what's going on--if anybody has arguments pro/con for doing so, please chime in. It's USAA so I'm not too worried that they are going to jack us around just for calling, but you never know.

Our neighbors have a generator so we took a few frozen steaks, bratwurst, etc. over and stuck them in their freezer. Their power is back on now. We'll end up throwing a bunch of stuff away, but that's much more of an inconvenience than a hardship, especially when there are so many in the areas south and east of us who are suffering mightily.

That's all I can think of for now. Am going to spend most/all of the day here trying to get caught up with what's going on around town since I've only had a radio to listen to the past few days.

Thanks again to all who have expressed concern.

• 9 months later...

We now rejoin "Weird Houston News", already in progress...

Prosecutors: Woman shot man during foreplay

A woman accused in the shooting death of her common-law husband told police her gun accidentally fired while they were playing a game of “dirty cowboy” during sexual foreplay, a Harris County prosecutor said.

Deborah Yvette Parker, 38, is charged with manslaughter and being a felon in possession of a firearm, court records show. She remains in the Harris County Jail on bail totaling $60,000.

linkified