Sound Mod in progress

Thanks to some conversation with TC237, Slap Happy and Cpl Steiner I am attempting an US radio speak mod for CMSF. Along with some of their ideas I have my own and I was wondering if you guys could help a bit.

I need some phrases you'd like to hear over a radio com...stuff that would fit in with the proper folders and phrases we already have...such as "enemy spotted" could be transformed to "Hadji's on the move" or "We've got bad guys moving in". Proper Army slang, lingo and or phrases would be appreciated.

I am going to try some chatter for vehicles but it's going to have to be very basic and unintelligible because Syrian vehicles share sounds with US vehicles.

Mord.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen to the radio in this video:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=94e_1205680977

That's kind of what I'm thinking of, just general background radio chatter.

Not neccesarily specific phrases.

Sorry for my ignorance, I haven't looked through the files yet but:

What is the sound playing in the background? It sounds like wind, arty firing, etc..

Is that a background noise or ambient noise sound file? (I remember a "silent noise" mod the eliminated it)

Can we change or incorporate radio chatter into that file?

"Hadji's on the move"

Hell No :-), I don't want First Person Shooter, gung-ho, sterotypical, crap.

I know I'm asking alot but don't worry I'm looking for example sounds also.

I look for more latter tonight.

(I just can't watch the IED attack videos, PTSD and all...)

Mord,

Great idea for a mod. I can't wait!

tc237,

Sounds are organised into folders by context. For instance, "spot infantry" has phrases like "enemy infantry ahead". There is already a "chatter" folder that has phrases like "yes sir" and "take a look at that".

I'm guessing that the "chatter" folder would be the best place for the general radio traffic sounds such as "give me your sitrep, over" and "roger that".

However, I'm sure you could also throw in radio chatter sounds for specific situations, as if the unit the camera is near is being contacted by radio. For "spot infantry" phrases, for instance, you could have "where are you, over" and "we've got confirmation on that target, over", etc.

I'm sure the mod would be amazing if done right, with decent voice acting and proper mixing for the static, beeps and squawks.

Yep, that is the ambient background file. It's possible to do. The only problem with that is it will be heard everywhere in game. Even if I drew it down volume wise it would be coming from everywhere. Syrian players would hear it too. It's worth a try however.

This is gonna take me a while. I wanna do it right and get the sounds just so. I think if I take my time you guys will get what you are looking for. I am also thinking along the lines of incorporating radio talk into the actual speech files...mixed in at lower volumes it will sound good.

LOL That "hadjies on the move" was just an example of what you could be put into the enemies spotted folder that would convey the same info without being repetitive.

Seeing that you are a vet maybe you can give me some lingo you guys used that would fit in with this mod.

Also if anybody could get me a sample of that com beep in the Liveleak video I'd appreciate it. Something either in MP3 or Wav form. I am having a helluva a time reproducing it with samples of other stuff. And I can't find anything on the net offhand. Any military sound recording with it in will do just fine I can edit it.

Mord.

Cpl Steiner, yep I am thinking along those exact lines. Already did a mock up of one file to see how it'd go over and it sounded pretty cool. Didn't have the perfect sound I wanted but for a test it worked well.

LOL and thanks, it was mostly your all's idea, you guys got me thinking on it.

Mord.

What would be nice if you could change the rather dull US voices into something a bit more realistic, like get some sound of US troops using a bit more colourful language than "get up and fight" and "I can't do this".

Gonna work on a bunch of that stuff. Got ideas for that as well. So stay tuned. I've got some sweating to do.

Mord.

The way I see it working is like this. In the "chatter" folder for the americans there are currently 19 files, with phrases like "quiet down, let's get some noise discipline here". You could divide the files up into 3 categories: 1) chatter amongst the men on the ground; 2) chatter aimed at someone on the radio; 3) chatter originating from someone on the radio. These would all play back randomly but if the right phrases were chosen they would sound like a conversation. For instance:

"Give me your sitrep, over" (category 3)

"Where are you, over?" (category 3)

"Quieten down people" (category 1)

"Where are you, over?" (category 3)

"Moving into position, over" (category 2)

"Say again, over" (category 2)

"Did you see that?" (category 1)

"Roger that, over" (category 3)

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. Keep the chatter to the point where it's generic enough to sound like a conversation without getting into to much detail.

I got my beep wav! Took a long time!

Mord.

Ok, I listened to everthing in the \sound\voices\american folder. (thanks Cpl Steiner)

It all sounds like something troops on the ground would say to each other by voice, not over the radio. (although there are a few that might be usable files)

Regarding the "background.wav" file, I think that might be the file to edit, here is why (stick with me)

In my vision of the mod.....

When playing the game I assume that I'm either the highest level commander on the map or the next higher HQ just off the map (Company, Bn, etc..)

I put myself in that HQ's "shoes", sitting in my commanders Humvee, M1, M2, Stryker, TOC, etc...

In that situation, I am looking at a map, listening to and giving orders over the radio.

A modern day commander "lives in the radio", it is always there, chattering away, although he tries as much as possible to get eyes on the battlefield.

While the wind, arty, etc.. is there in the background and I can hear it, I'm really focusing on the radio.

So it is not really the individual phrase or conversation that matters, but it is the constant and always present chatter of the radio that I'm thinking of for this mod.

Try this, go back to the LiveLeak link, open it in 2-3 browser windows simultaneously, start playing them at 15-20 second intervals.

Hear that constant chatter, with those beeps, that is very similar to what a dual-net setup(2 radios) in a commanders vehicle would sound like.

(after a few days you dream of normal conversations that include those dang beeps. :-) )

How long can that background.wav file be anyway?

OK, I'll stop buggin' you guys with this, whatever you come up with will be good, like all your mods.

And hey, If I don't like it I'll just have to get off my a$$ and do something myself (although I prefer the Photoshop stuff).

Latter I'll explain why the "Enemy Target Sighted" phrases are wrong.

Ok, brother you may be right about this. I did a quick test and it didn't sound bad. Probably best used when playing Americans only.

I may be able to have something very soon.

Mord.

There's other people out there who have lived this more than I have, but radio chatter would include a lot of acronyms, such as:

"We've got TIC at Zero Zero One Seven Charlie" (Troops in Contact)

"Taking heavy SAF from north and south." Small Arms Fire

"PID RPG team and HMG team, entrenched." Positively Identified (enemy)

I eagerly await your mod!

"PID multiple EKIA" Enemy KIA

How about one or two radio chatter files that are just gunfire and screams over the net? Would be kind of unnerving, like you're hearing another unit a couple of miles away getting shot up badly. You could begin it with a "taking heavy SAF" comment and then just drown it out with gunfire noises.

A lot depends on much faster it is to say the original phrase vs using another method.

Another concern, is that particular phrase/acronym easily confused with others.

For example, how would one actually say SAF over a radio?

Is it spelled out: "we're taking S-A-F"

Is it phonetically: "we're taking Sierra, Alpha, Foxtrot"

Is it said as a word: "we're taking saaph"

In this case it might just be easier and quicker to say "we're taking small arms!"

(fancy acronyms look good on paper untill you have to use it)

US military grids are 6, 8, 10 digits, the more digits the better the accuracy.

Usually 6, 8 digits are used for troop/building locations, 10 for arty/airstrike targeting.

I'm eagerly awaiting Mord's initial offering.

...trying to write up some radio lingo and acronyms (there aren't as many as I thought or can remember)

Ok fellas, I need some more help, please. I am in the early stages of mixing some sounds. One problem I am having is finding decent chatter. I have two nice files right now but would like a few more ( I am using parts of TC's Liveleak vid that he posted above and a another one). If any of you guys could provide me with some vid links to decent radio chatter I'd appreciate it. Or audio recordings. There was a nice recording at the end of the first episode of Generation Kill that is right along the lines of what I am after. I know I have heard military squad/vehicle radio recordings out of Iraq before, but can't seem to find any. They don't have to be super clear, be best if there isn't a ton of engine noise, static and garbled voices are fine though.

If I can get some more vids/recordings I can have a decent test run up for you guys by tomorrow at the latest.

Mord.

Hey Tc, I am plugging along. I have one file completed and am working on a second. I am shooting for three as the base for the mod. I am pretty impressed with what I have so far. I am hoping people like it. It has been a major PIA...but I have finally got my system down.

Keep an eye out for an email.

Mord.

OK, Mord sent me some files last night, a ran a QB and a scenario to test them out.

I thought it was very well done, not perfect and could use some improvement, but the overall concept worked very well.

I'm eager to read other impressions on the mod.

It certainly isn't for everybody, but I think it has the potential to be a must have.

Mord,

I had a chance to test the mod an hour or two ago and loved it!

I like the way you get localised radio chatter right next to a vehicle but a more general low level chatter all over the map, such as by infantry when there is no vehicle nearby. The only possible drawback is that, as you point out, Syrian vehicles have American radio chatter, but it is so hard to actually make out what is being said (to my ears anyway) that it doesn't really detract from the overall effect.

I actually think this has the makings of being one of the best mods out there because it makes you feel like you are in a real battle. It's almost like there was something always missing that you couldn't put your finger on, and suddenly it's in the game.

I would say immediately release the mod "as is" on CMMODS. I reckon most players will love it too. It would get a 5 from me straight away.

Excellent man, I am glad you are digging it.

After listening to the Abrams chatter a few minutes ago, which is less distinguishable than the vehicle chatter, I am thinking I can make a sub mod where any radio chatter coming from any AFV/Tank on the battlefield could just be garbled radio gibberish which would cover both bases. Then it wouldn't matter which side you were playing. Anybody liking the more clear US mod could use that and someone else could use the gibberish sub mod if it's more to their liking or they like to play Syrians. Albeit this is an American Forces centric Mod, using the stock background with just vehicle/tank chatter that is all muddled could bring a bit of sound candy for the Syrian players as well.

I've got a little more tweaking to do on the background talk, and haven't heard from LLF yet, but I just may get it posted tonight. Have to see how it goes. TC has a niggle I may have a remedy for.

Mord.

Awesome!

I've spent an hour trying to dig up some Arabic military chatter for you. The best I could do was:

17th Street Firefight - Iraq

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8e9_1196057595

Good Arabic radio chatter here, relatively good sound quality, but not a lengthy loop.

US Marines and Iraqi Soldiers advisors in a firefight using artillery

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0d3_1188300139

Poor sound quality... some English and some Arabic radio chatter in the background here and there. And now and then the jundi shut up long enough that you can hear it.

Speaking of which, in a firefight it seems like Arab soldiers shout and chatter excitedly to each other nonstop, much more so than Americans who when they talk at all basically just cuss and talk "Apocalypse Now" bravado (Getsome mutha****a! etc. etc. Talk about life imitating art). So a Syrian sound mod would probably have a hell of a lot more frequent talking. (Let's NOT get some noise discipline here!).

Chitchat is far less evident in the insurgent video (the ones that have ambient sound, not wailing some anthem about spilling the blood of the infidel crusaders). The exception, of course, is the inevitable Allah-o-Akhbar! to celebrate the firing of ordnance/IEDs.

Mord, I had a chance to test this out for a few minutes earlier today, and I think this is a fantastic mod! Perhaps you could also pass the stock in-game chatter through some radio filters so that it roughly matches the background? I think at least vehicle chatter would benefit greatly from this.

Mord, I had a chance to test this out for a few minutes earlier today, and I think this is a fantastic mod! Perhaps you could also pass the stock in-game chatter through some radio filters so that it roughly matches the background? I think at least vehicle chatter would benefit greatly from this.

Thanks, man. Appreciated. I have a test file I used for infantry to see what it would sound like, and it could be pulled off. I forgot that you could even hear the stock wavs from vehicles so that would be really cool as well. It could also transfer over to the Syrians if vehicle talking wavs are localized to just tanks and BMPs and stuff.

LLF, I've checked out those vids and may be able to glean something from them. Thanks for looking.

Mord.