Warning Order: HBO July 13th

Question: the marines in the movie often, when moving out, say "We're Oscar Mike" or something similar. What does it really mean, what's the origin of this phrase?

Googling didn't help, and the link below, which is good for all other expressions and acronyms, didn't help either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._Marine_Corps_acronyms_and_expressions

Griping is a long-standing tradition in the military, but the way these hollywood types depict it is more like girlish whining.

I see in the latest episode they show Marines showing up out of nowhere and running up to a berm near some buildings, where nothing is happening, no shooting, etc., just some kids and other civilians walking around. Then these Marines, for no apparent reason, start shooting at the kids, the buildings, everything, all while ignoring the pleas of the Lt. (I think it was him) to stop firing. The whole thing looks completely bizarre and staged. Why in the world would they do that, for no reason randomly running up and shooting at buildings as though they were in the middle of some big fire fight when the place was totally silent before they got there?

Unless, of course, some important piece of information about what really happened is not being shown as to why they thought fire needed to be brought on those buildings. None of that is shown, though. How convenient. So they leave viewers with the impression these Marines are lunatics just wanting to shoot civilians for entertainment purposes. Hey, it's HBO, I guess I'm not surprised. I wonder what they'll stick in the next show? Maybe they'll show arab kids playing on a swing set and then Marines show up and start throwing frag grenades at them just to test out the shrapnel patterns...

He's talking about the next episode.

Something was left out of the story, but the series is told from the viewpoint of the pool reporter, and if he never found out what happened, we won't either.

My question is whether there are really officers as incompetent as a couple of those depicted in this series, i.e. Captain America and the other company commander (I think that's what he is - maybe platoon leader - the guy with the AK).

(I have zero military experience)

Couldn't there be anything done to get that piece of **** relieved of his command? The part where he guns down an unarmed iraqi and then the one guy says "I didn't see what the sarge saw". I guess my question is, does loyalty to fellow comrades supercede such acts? I certainly hope not, no matter how young and dumb.

For those that read the book. In this story, I take it the reporter only heard about this incident and didn't see it? Overall, how accurate is the mini-series to the book so far?

So when will we have a "Generation Kill Campaign" ? 8-)

Touring thrue iraq in 4 humwees solving recon and small skirmish contacts :)

/Chainsaw

I don't want it unless there is absolutely no "Hollywood" influence to it at all. So far to me, it's "All American Military Bad, All The Time". I was excited at first, but my elation has dropped considerably as the show goes on. I'll still watch with very little hope it improves. [sarcasm]Does Oliver Stone have anything to do with this?[/sarcasm]

edgars,

As stated by Dogface, and in the very list you provided.

People,

While we're on phonetic abbreviations, how is Bravo Zulu shorthand for "Well Done!" message. Trust me; I checked the list.

(returns moments later)

Belay that! Not just derived from Navy jargon, but now NATO official jargon!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bravo_Zulu

Now that I think about it, Dad (ET1 USN Korean War) did mention Tare Victor George.

Regards,

John Kettler

I don't want it unless there is absolutely no "Hollywood" influence to it at all. So far to me, it's "All American Military Bad, All The Time". I was excited at first, but my elation has dropped considerably as the show goes on. I'll still watch with very little hope it improves. [sarcasm]Does Oliver Stone have anything to do with this?[/sarcasm]

That's nonsense, mate. It certainly isn't "all American military bad, all the time". It's not the message that i'm getting from the show over here.

The message i do get is "there are good, bad and incompetent guys in every organization, and American military is no exception."

What it does blow away is the myth that American military, admittedly one of the best in the world (if not THE best), is super-perfect ordnung-muss-sein everything-taken-into-account execution-according-to-plan-and-S.O.P. force. Excrement happens. Even in American armed forces. For variety of resons.

• 2 weeks later...
That's nonsense, mate. It certainly isn't "all American military bad, all the time". It's not the message that i'm getting from the show over here.

The message i do get is "there are good, bad and incompetent guys in every organization, and American military is no exception."

What it does blow away is the myth that American military, admittedly one of the best in the world (if not THE best), is super-perfect ordnung-muss-sein everything-taken-into-account execution-according-to-plan-and-S.O.P. force. Excrement happens. Even in American armed forces. For variety of resons.

Sorry, we'll have to respectfully agree to disgree.

No nonsense. You can read what you want out of it. I'll read mine.

Way too much of this - "there are good, bad and incompetent guys in every organization, and American military is no exception." Godfather, Captain America, Encino man, the gunny, etc.

How many villages are going to be blasted while recon marines have eyes on it. Especially full of happy women & children.

Blow up the only school for miles in a city already devestated?

Your right, excrement happens & it smells of Hollywood.

I'm friends with 4 Veteran Combat Army Rangers & they laugh their arse off at it. I'l take their agreement with me as a very close & personal affirmative of my opinion.

I do have to say the action was better in "Petting a burning dog". That reaffirms that I would never want to be in combat. It deepens my respect for those that are in combat.