Building Facade Mod - Mideast Shopfront

I've been whining for this for a long time and decided to put my lousy artistic skills to work.

I just uploaded the 3 relevant BMPs to CMMODS. It modifies Building Facade type 3 and one of its balconies to create the following shopfront which resembles one you'd see in the Mideast (the signs come from actual buildings in Ramadi, Iraq. Don't ask me what they say).

Shopfront.png

From a realism standpoint, you'd simply shotgun or jimmy the padlocks off to open these doors. In other words, there needs to be a working door somewhere. I didn't like the look of only having 2 shopfronts + a conventional door, so I slapped one over the top using similar grillwork. It looks a little cheesy up close, I know, but 3 pulldown doors looks more authentic overall.

Unfortunately, you get the same motif on all 4 walls of the building which looks a little odd. My workaround is to slap a high wall against the end building walls to mask it. The long window/door combo also masks it pretty well.

[ January 20, 2008, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: LongLeftFlank ]

nice work man, is the alpha channel missing of the balcony though? I'm not sure.hey I just found something today, that you don't need to replace the existing building textures. Just add the next number onto the corresponding file name. i.e replace all the 3's with 8's and you can shift-click change through them all. I've been making HEAPS smile.gif

Originally posted by missinginreality:

hey I just found something today, that you don't need to replace the existing building textures. Just add the next number onto the corresponding file name. i.e replace all the 3's with 8's and you can shift-click change through them all. I've been making HEAPS smile.gif

Are you saying if you add a different number to the extension it'll allow new building textures without overwriting preexisting ones? So the game could have unlimited building facades?

Mord.

Originally posted by missinginreality:

Mord, yep exactly. neat huh? smile.gif Though as I understand it using 20 different building textures in a single map will really add to processing time but being able to choose from 20 at scenario design time and using a few of them is a great bonus.

HOLY CRAP! That's huge news! Great find! Thanks man!

Mord.

Originally posted by Kimerik Kukka:

Hello

That discovery sounds great, but what if the end user doesn't have the mod? The game tries to find file.8 but it doesn't exist, will the game crash?

Kimerik Kukka

I suspect this is what will happen and I recall Steve saying that this is one of the reasons BFC doesn't want people adding their own models into the game, they don't want the community to become fractured and confused where certain mods are required to play some scenarios. But if this is not a problem then great.

This is a good point. Scenarios that may be dependant on specific mods [i.e I'm working on a mansion marble facade and a warehouse concrete slabbed facade at the mo that are integral to the campaign "look"] would need to have the texture files included in an accompanying zip to be dropped into the data folder. A little hassle I guess.

Only a slight hassle as far as I am concerned. The pros outweigh the cons on this. The Scenario and Textures could be zipped together like all the other specialty scenarios throughout the years. An Added warning in a read me and no big deal. Or a community mod that could be updated with all extra (non overwriting) textures as they are created. Lots of ways to combat confusion.

Mord.

Or if we could just get BFC to put a little time into programming some blank "placeholder" buildings and flavour objects for the modders, so that instead of crashing the game if you don't have "Building 12" for a scenario, all you'd see is either a blank white color or else a repeat of one of the existing pallettes.

I've proposed this a couple times now but never gotten a response.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice looking mod, LLF, and it adds some fine variation to the battlefield BUT I've found it turning up in some slightly unusual places. For instance, in the second battle of Webwing's Ghost campaign, it forms the ground floor of a mosque!

Perhaps they're selling the infamous 4-skin pack.