Scenario: The Curve

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im now finished the Scenario.

The best one in CMSF right now !!

cmszenariocb6.jpg

Great Idea with the Iranian Special Forces.

I lost 2 KIA and 13 WIA, the Enemy lost overall 250 (KIA, WIA, MIA) and 13 Cars.

I hope we will get more such Scenarios with that realistic flair.

[ December 26, 2007, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Wiggum ]

here we go, Seabee, i read your comment to my battle. i have to say the same :D

but i fought to a total victory through surrender.

at first; i have the habit to open a scenario and look up the map, how big it is and what force "i"(not the enemy ;) ) will command.

this gives me some estimated time i will need to fight through the battle and so i know, when i have 2 houers i go and try this smaler fight, when i have 5 i go and take a bigger one for example.

now normaly iam good at guessing the time i will need to do a map, but this battle was a total suprise smile.gif

i never thought its that tense!

in the first round i thought about the badly parked UAZ´s and their owners, shortly after i suspected SF to be around wich was another suprise for an iraq ambush.

well, what i thought came true, luckilie i could get rid of them fast(1 turn :D ) but they where unpleasent at least.

also this battle was the "first" CMSF battle where i didnt needed to cease fire becouse all was done much too early and i wasnt motivated to squish the last resistance.

exactly the opposite was the case, i had to get to the exit zone so, the fight went on. the enemy surrendered about 10 turns befor the end short befor i was about to form a humvee coloum on the road.

i only can reccomend this battle. i give you a according vote when iam at CMMODS.com next time.

heres the end screen, i copied the objectives section of the blue side into it.

click to enlarge;

thecurve1is3.th.jpg

hey the Fighting Seabee

so this is completely random and unrelated to the scenario :D but in the picture preview for this scenario at CMMODS there was at one time a Hind in the trees to the west of the road. a buddy of mine flew around that area quite often and saw the helo. but unfortunately we scoured over google earth and couldnt find it. just random trivia. looking forward to taking on "The Curve" smile.gif

steve

Originally posted by SD Smack:

hey the Fighting Seabee

so this is completely random and unrelated to the scenario :D but in the picture preview for this scenario at CMMODS there was at one time a Hind in the trees to the west of the road. a buddy of mine flew around that area quite often and saw the helo. but unfortunately we scoured over google earth and couldnt find it. just random trivia. looking forward to taking on "The Curve" smile.gif

steve

That is really cool! I have not seen the Hind helicopter, but my last name is Hinds! tongue.gif

What did your buddy fly (or ride in)?

yea dont think the hind is anywhere to be found on google earth. not sure if it ever actually on google earth but we had a good look to try and find it. my buddy said it was placed out in the trees to hide it from coalition forces to prevent its destruction.

as for my buddy, he is a blackhawk pilot and was in iraq in 2005-2006 range. he is now flies C-12s in korea

steve

Hey Fighting Seabee, finally got a chance to play V2 last night and I still like it ;)

Ironically enough, even though I 'exited' my units and felt I did a much better overall job, I only managed a Draw (last time I managed a Tactical Victory, even though I didn't make it to the exit). This is a tough one, very 'technical' with (it seems) little margin for error smile.gif

[Edit]

Though you can have a lot of error if you force a surrender ;)

[ December 29, 2007, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: Cameroon ]

Great scenario Fighting Seabee. The only thing to add to this one is the scoring system. Make it so that not more than one Hummer can be lost or it's game over (Each one should be worth 400 points). The US casualties should be no more than 20 WIA and KIA. Very real world conditions. My first game I lost 2 strykers, one hummer, and 26 casualties. The red side surrendered 6 minutes time left. I should have lost but received a Total Victory. However, I really enjoyed this game - Great stuff.

PS. Has anyone played as Red? I think the hummers might come in play too early.

LOL Fighting Seabee, I won the game - But, I just think losing two Strykers, a hummer, 13 KIA and 13 WIA is too much for a protect a convoy mission. Can you imagine what the media would say if they got a hold of that story.

I completed the mission - I just don't think I should have won. I can see maybe one stryker knocked out(RPG), one hummer (He drove over a mine), 13 KIA (for this type of mission that's unsatisfactory), 13 WIA (with 13 KIA that's terrable).

I still think the scenario's great.

Originally posted by ThePhantom:

LOL Fighting Seabee, I won the game - But, I just think losing two Strykers, a hummer, 13 KIA and 13 WIA is too much for a protect a convoy mission. Can you imagine what the media would say if they got a hold of that story.

I completed the mission - I just don't think I should have won. I can see maybe one stryker knocked out(RPG), one hummer (He drove over a mine), 13 KIA (for this type of mission that's unsatisfactory), 13 WIA (with 13 KIA that's terrable).

I still think the scenario's great.

I totally agree. I tried to keep in mind that any number of casualties for the US is considered a loss and terrorists and insurgents don't seem to mind dying in large numbers. I must not have tallied the points to reflect that properly. If you guys can find the perfect formula, I would love to have it.

Thanks, Phantom, for the good words. I'm glad you like the mission. smile.gif

Well, the real trick is just that no matter how badly you do, if you force the other side to surrender then you win a total victory.

I think that should be an optional checkmark for the designer. Back in the CMx1 days it made sense the way it is, but with CMSF having much more varied and asymmetrical goals it doesn't fit well anymore. After all, if you're a band of unconventionals whose sole goal at the time is to kill as many Invaders as possible, what difference to you if you surrender at the end having inflicted 50% casualties?

In my Draw (from above), I had 1 KIA and 9 WIA and exited (minus 3 hummers that bogged because they were coming down the dirt road - but AFAIK there isn't a way to check for that in the scoring?). In my Total Victory (my 3rd play of the scenario), I lost a Stryker and had 5 KIA and 8 WIA and hadn't yet made it to the exit point (and one bogged hummer in a crater on the 'good' road).

Hard to say on what scoring changes I'd suggest, though since I haven't lost any hummers I can't speak to how those are scored.

***** SPOILER (But just the scoring info) *****

When I checked the scenario in the editor, I saw that Red gets 350 (or 300? was a few days ago) points for causing 10% casualties. The rest of their points were for meeting their Friendly condition and ammo (50 each) and for holding some territory. I met the Secure and Exit conditions (I imagine I didn't meet my Friendly casualties, but did meet the Condition and Ammo) and I think caused enough enemy casualties but didn't get them on condition or ammo.

So that leaves the bulk of why I only got a Draw (was 950 to 850 IIRC) to the territory that Red held at the end. The only thing I wonder about there is whether that'd be the case. Would they care about holding ground that isn't going to be occupied anyway (just a convoy rolling through) or just inflicting casualties?

Anyway, it's still a blast and the knife edge scoring makes it a challenge to be very, very exact and use the long-range firepower of the US as much as possible.

That pesky low-wall bug from 1.05 raises its ugly head in a couple areas, but not in a completely crippling fashion (it is why I lost my Stryker in my 3rd game though).

[ December 30, 2007, 05:55 AM: Message edited by: Cameroon ]

Good points. I tried to use the red objectives so that the red troops would stay in their positions. It seemed critical before I released the scenario, because I was having problems with the AI trying to set up in odd places. I suppose in a Iraq, the insurgents tend to melt away from large ambushes rather than stay in a protracted fight. But for the purposes of this scenario, I wanted it to feel like you have to run the gauntlet. I wanted it to feel like the insurgents try to go for the jugular and call in all their buddies to join in.

The entire mission for red is built around hurting those hummers and everyone inside.

Perhaps the points for red holding the objective should be much lower.

To reinforce your strategic view, yes you do have to play through this slowly and deliberately. Once the blue soldiers are hit by the suicide bomber, they know something is up. So the player really needs to make good moves and act like it's the real deal. The US does not like to lose anyone, killed or wounded! (if you get through perfectly, you're the man).

Anyone who feels they have the perfect point system for this mission, please post it here!

Otherwise I'm really happy with all the feedback on this one, my other missions didn't go over as well.

Yeah, I understand using the points and objectives to keep Red in their places and so that they move to appropriate areas - just maybe reduce the value so that it isn't likely to be a deciding factor.

Believe it or not, 1.05 and this scenario helped draw me back into the CM world - it's accessible but challenging (unless you take advantage of the surrender 'feature'). Thanks smile.gif

Wow, thank you. Making scenarios can be quite a bit of work, so I appreciate it very much. I must give some credit to Webwing for his enthusiastic help, as well as GeorgeMC, MarkEzra, and Pete Wenman, for helping me with my ai problems. I was close to giving up and they helped me solve the problem.

Now I'm inspired to make another! I'll be looking around on google earth for a new battleground to model. smile.gif

You are doing great Seabee.

The comments about winning, points, etc. you are getting doesn't mean it is not good or that you did anything wrong. As you can see most enjoyed it a lot and have mostly good things to say about it.

Testing and tweaking is the most time consuming and in my opinion the most frustrating bit! Simply because you can do only so much by yourself.

You definitely need the feedback of others to help you in this.

That's why you see so many versions of the same mission.

In the end we have to "release" the missions in a sort of beta state and have a public testing. ;)

For me this is very frustrating. I like to show people the work only when I think is good and finished but unfortunately that is not possible in this case.

The players that download later down the road will play a more finished mission while the ones in the beginning will see it more in the rough.

Very much like CM:SF itself!!!!! :D:D

Hope to see many more missions like this!!!

--

I played this last night and I have to say I am back into CM:SF! I was slow and deliberate one KIA and 7 WIA. I never made it to the last objective, I simply wiped out enough of the enemy. This is a great scenario, certainly as good as Hammertime. Great work, look forward to more.

Originally posted by Webwing:

Hey Seabee,

That button seems to be Javascript. You probably need to have Java enabled in your browser.

Try that.

---

Ok, I just redownloaded and installed the latest version of java. I'm no computer wizard, but everything seems to be enabled; however, I still cannot use the "rate this scenario" button.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Let's see one by one:

Ctrl + 5?

I've just looked at the code in the page and yes, it is JavaScript.

Are you using IE or Firefox. Try with the other. They both have some options that you need to enable for this to work.

For IE. Internet Options/Advanced/Configurations/

Java(Sun) - Use JRE 1.6.0....

This must be checked.

For more advanced internet content, like yahoo games you need Java Virtual machine installed. I cant believe that is the case here though.

If you already have it installed there is another option right below that must be checked too.

Microsoft VM.

---

--