Scenario: The Curve

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually JavaScript is in no way related to having Java installed - despite the fact that it's called JavaScript (it isn't tied in with Java at all).

In IE, you need to make sure that Scripting is enabled under the Tools -> Internet Options -> Security settings (and you'll probably just need to make sure it's enabled for the Internet zone). As far as I know, scripting is enabled in IE for all of it's security levels unless you're using custom settings.

In Firefox it's under Tools -> Options -> Content and there's a checkbox to enable/disable JavaScript.

I don't know if that's the problem you're having, but you won't solve it with Java smile.gif

Originally posted by Webwing:

Cameroon,

Off topic but I like to grab this opportunity!

Why is it you need JavaVirtualMachine to play games in Yahoo? Shouldn't JavaScript take care of all the Internet related stuff?

It always puzzles me!

--

Heheh, no problem. Until relatively recently, if you wanted to build an application that was very responsive (that behaved more like an application that you'd installed to your computer) then you had to use Java. Imagine if you tried to build a card game on the web and every time you clicked a card, the whole page had to reload. That wouldn't work very well ;) (not to mention games other than card games). In the past couple years Flash has also become popular for doing that kind of thing.

Java and Flash are similar to each other with respect to their use in web applications. JavaScript, however, has been around for a long while as a way to let the web page change in (generally) limited ways. Only within the last couple of years have web browsers gained the widespread capability to let JavaScript make major changes to the page without having to reload the whole page.

[ January 06, 2008, 04:58 AM: Message edited by: Cameroon ]