*Scenario* US SPEC OPS: Warlords in a Barrel

-Link Below-

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?8uyzy5idyjm

-Link Above-

US Special Forces have been in concealed positions for 3 days overlooking the suspected location of a meeting between two powerful warlords.

Once both Warlords are confirmed to be on location, call in air strikes to eliminate the Primary targets.

Do you have the patience to know when and where to call in the air strikes?

Do you have the nerve to lie in wait amidst enemy patrols?

Do you have the grit to get your men out alive from deep behind enemy lines?

Good luck men!

I have attempted to create a mission with focus on tension and anticipation. It may be for you , it may not...

I had alot of fun making it and I hope some of you will play-test it and enjoy it as well!

Thanks

I enjoyed this mission, different to most other missions but still demanding in other ways.

**Possible Spoilers**

I lost all my men through friendly fire some during the main strikes but most in the final dash to the exit point, certainly a cruel lesson in how to control airpower. Still won a total victory though after calling a cease fire with no men left.

Wasn't sure exactly when to launch the attack and waited till the warlords were inside the walls of the town square. Possibly could have attacked earlier.

Those technicals are hard to pin down because they move around alot and the airstrikes have a few minutes delay. I just went with doing large area strikes on the surrounding terrain and ended up killing all but a couple of technicals.

I decided to make a retreat with about 8 minutes to go but was still copping some fire from troops that I couldn't get a visual on. Anyway my boys got nailed by some seriously heavy airstrike next turn.

Good replay value, and could possibly be expanded so that you get a couple of extra squads but have to fight a few patrols to reach the viewing site where you can call in the airpower from.

Thanks for the mission.

Originally posted by Bradley Dick:

I had lots of fun with this mission. I'd make a terrible JTAC. I killed 3 of my own guys with fire missions and blew up one of my 1114's. A damned RPG took out another one of my 1114's on the escape route though.

Better than me I lost all my 1114s in one strike, halfway through the mission, so they sat in the bottom of a crater for the next 30 mins.

I noticed that issuing an area command will result in the planes strafing the entire map not only the area in question. Plus they bombed outside the area of interest, perhaps they saw a good target. To force them to bomb a spot (+20 meters around) a point target is sufficient, and will result in less friendly fire.

I'll probably have another go using more point targets, as I agree strafing runs and bombing was going on 'off map' so it seems the aircrews are not too concerned about the area radius you've chosen for them.

Although I'm a bit surprised at the seemingly absence of any sort of 'friend or foe' system in operation.

Hmmm, I might take that question to the general forum.

[ August 30, 2007, 02:04 AM: Message edited by: bodkin ]

You guys have no idea the satisfaction it gives me to hear of any number of players trying my scenario!

I too have had some terribly disastrous yet hilarious air strikes in my many replays of this one during play testing.... the best was the A-10 gun-run that ripped my guys to bits JUST as they made it to the escape zone! ( must have been politically charged, preventing any witnesses to the covert ops!)

Thanks guys, can't wait to make some 1.03 scenarios!

*SPOILER*

I just played this and had a lot of fun.

One of the jerks in my squad stood up and started popping off rounds about 10 minutes in! I was ready to kill him! Luckily I hid him again before anyone noticed.

Like bodkin, I ended up dropping a bomb right on my 1114s...also my scout platoon HQ got blowed up too, later on.

However, I did get one of the warlords. I saw a dude run into a building after a strafing run so I targeted it...man that explosion took out 15 guys!

I didn't know for sure if I got him until the game was over and I found his corpse in the debris.

I ended up surrendering after botching too much of the mission...but it was really fun and different.

I think we'll see a lot of creativity in design with this new engine.

Mord.

Originally posted by Mord:

One of the jerks in my squad stood up and started popping off rounds about 10 minutes in! I was ready to kill him! Luckily I hid him again before anyone noticed.

Mord.

I hope that WASN'T Tom Berenger that stood up?

Probably not considering he has nerves of steel ( See the movie SNIPER for proof! HA!)

I was kinda hoping somebody would notice and comment on the celebrity appearances in this scenario.

I just finished this up, it was a fun one. I ended up loosing all of my men to a badly placed F-16 bomb, but I still got a total victory ;)

My last 4 men were running for the exit zone, under fire from the enemy and they got a bomb dropped on their heads. Thats a bad day ;)

Good little mission, keep em coming!

Jason

Hehehehehe, collateral damage you say?? My aircrafts changed the whole orography of the map. Did I see a cow getting slaughtered by a LGBU??? Not sure about that. :D

Different mission, good idea.

SPOILER ACHTUNG!!!

As already mentioned, I also learned to order point target instead of area target. Guess that helped to keep all my guys alive till they had to leave. I lost a fully loaded Humvie in the process.

Got a major victory, lost four men.

I would suggest a relief force could come to pick the FOs ten minutes or so before the expire time instead of having those Humvies parked there from the very begining. Just an idea.

Keep'em coming Gdog. ;)

Spoiler

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

- Obtained a Total Victory (Blue)

- No blue losses

- Never even tried for the exit (too dangerous)

will wait for "night"

- Too many techs. They look unrealistic running all over the place. Few may be easier to program and provide less targets. Cut 50%

- Too many air missions. Just have one of each type.

- Perhaps provide a way for the Techs to attack blue at the 50th minute and have the exit closer to blues position.

A lot of tweaks ... but thats why we are here.

Kevin

Originally posted by Mud:

Interesting. Entertaining. One fairly likely to elicit a "Noooooooooo!" scream.

Noted that briefing seems to caution against collateral damage, but there doesn't seem to be any 'preserve building' points...

You may have miss-read the briefing, it actually stresses NOT to allow collateral damage to hinder the mission...in other words civilians expendable.

At least thats how I intended it to read? :D

Originally posted by Kevin Kinscherff:

Spoiler

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

- Obtained a Total Victory (Blue)

- No blue losses

- Never even tried for the exit (too dangerous)

will wait for "night"

- Too many techs. They look unrealistic running all over the place. Few may be easier to program and provide less targets. Cut 50%

- Too many air missions. Just have one of each type.

- Perhaps provide a way for the Techs to attack blue at the 50th minute and have the exit closer to blues position.

A lot of tweaks ... but thats why we are here.

Kevin

I agree with most of your comments and

I may tweak this one, OR I may just move onto the next.

If that is the case I will just learn from my mistakes AND the user comments like yours here to polish my future scenarios.

Thanks Kev, hope you liked it and hope you will test my next one also.

Cheers

Oh, that explains it. Heh.

Does seem to be impossible for Red to get -any- points, at least if the three designated targets are killed -- not hard given the firepower. I don't recall any objectives even listed as failed, so perhaps it's impossible for Red to get points...

No need for Blue to even attempt to escape. Only possible hitch is if one of the technicals spots the HQ closest to the road -- possible, rare, but possible.

If we wanted to pressure Blue more...

- give Red points for spotting Blue forces

- give Red points for actually killing any Blue

- give Blue more points for controlling the exit spot

- give Red a starting bonus, to pressure Blue to actually complete the mission and bug out

- perhaps Blue should have a JTAC, somebody with LLDR, or both