Superiority of fire

I gotta say, I get a little overwhelmed on some of the larger scale missions in Real Time. Although I am learning that I prefer it over WEGO, something I never expected.

I tend to use ALOT of ammo. Mostly firing at area targets just to ease up the pressure on my troops while I'm clicking around figuring out what to do.

And you know, this might be a fairly realistic tactic IMHO. Because if I was on the ground, and didn't know what else to say to my troops "Shoot back, at anything" would probably be my response. Better orders would follow.

God help me when I do a "preserve structures", "preserve ammunition", or if they ever simulate civilian casualties.

Same. I end up pausing a lot, which really wouldn't work in multiplayer. I wish that my units would fire on their own more often - especially the strykers who have gobs of .50cal ammo. The most tedious thing about CMSF right now is manually targetting stuff for all of my vehicles.

I think the AI firing routines are getting some fixes in 1.02, though.

as far as i noticed while playing red on red or fideling with my scenario, you can compleatly forgett that with RED. at least the low end of red infantry doesnt have any ammo(the counter shows no single red bar) or they have not even enough to start a fight. baicly they have about "5" ammo compared to CMx1 :D

Just an idea for multiplayer: Why not implement some sort of a chess clock into the game. There is a separate pause timer for both players. If player A sets the game to pause, then his pause timer would be reduced by the amount the game was paused. Commands can be issued during these pauses.

If you run out of this time, the only way is to request a pause from your opponent and even if he grants you a pause you couldn't issue any orders during that pause.

BTW there is a bug currently in the game. During pauses only choosing a command from the panels is forbidden, not issuing commands.

Originally posted by Pandur:

as far as i noticed while playing red on red or fideling with my scenario, you can compleatly forgett that with RED. at least the low end of red infantry doesnt have any ammo(the counter shows no single red bar) or they have not even enough to start a fight. baicly they have about "5" ammo compared to CMx1 :D

You can set ammo levels in the editor for your units, as you can do experience etc.

Cheers fur noo

George

sorry for the double post...

i looked it up in the ditor, it was a mistake.

i just looked at the "rifle ammo" bar wich just shows 0 to 2 bars since there is mostly just 1 or none AK74 in low tech squads. the rest are AK47 wich use the 7.62 ammo wich than counts as "MG ammo" and the MG ammo bar is much higher than the rifle ammo bar.

sorry that confused me...

Bradley Dick: "while I'm clicking around figuring out what to do."

Nail on head. This game is more like Close Combat III in 3d than CMBB or CMAK. And while I loved the CC3 series, even it, at times, became a clickfest. If there were ever a WWII module, it'd have to be scaled back like CM:SF, thus preventing us WeGo types from playing large battles.

I found the confusion is mostly during the initial phase of abattle, when my units get into contact with the enemy (quite realistic I guess). Once you have your troops in good positions, you can take it a little slower, since most units will be stationary, providing covering fire, while the units that actually move are fewer. I also found that the top down view is quite useful in situations where a lot is going on.

I, for one, will definitely welcome the possibility to pause in Elite mode when the patch comes out. smile.gif

Just an idea for multiplayer: Why not implement some sort of a chess clock into the game. There is a separate pause timer for both players. If player A sets the game to pause, then his pause timer would be reduced by the amount the game was paused. Commands can be issued during these pauses.
That is something I recall Steve saying he would like to do (not sure how long ago that was).

i know a game, brigade E5, while beeing verry good to play in Sigleplayer it had such a system in MP(you could define the amount of seconds in the setup), or you could just use slow motion instead of pause...however it was a squad based game and in the end, when a player requested pause to change something, the other player could have seen this becouse one of his soldiers saw that, and so he was requeting pause imeadtly after the other player unpaused to change his orders. than the otehr player saw it and the same again.

sometmes it worked good but sometimes the game was just paused every few sekonds or sometimes split sekonds, so for their successor they quiet Multiplayer and just did a SP game becouse it doesnt worked out that good... .

now imagine that with even more units than maximum of 6 in this squad based game :D

RT is fine for me. I'm used to it anyway- I play a lot of fast games. Single player is pretty chill because of pause. Multiplayer doesn't work with large battles so that's moot. On a small multiplayer game it's quite pleasant.

On all the CM games I play mostly zoomed out, which means I miss most of the details. But I have a far better view of what is going on.

Originally posted by InvaderCanuck:

I won't play over half the provided scenarios because WEGO is not functional in the way it should and they are not enjoyable in RT due to the scale of the battle.

Really looking forward to a thriving scenario building community ;p

Tiny and small battles are best.

I am most comfortable controlling a company + some attachments max.

BTW, Brigade E5, the Jagged Alliance wannabe isn't so nice.

Quote:

I tend to use ALOT of ammo. Mostly firing at area targets just to ease up the pressure on my troops while I'm clicking around figuring out what to do.

------------------------------------------------

I found out that the use of M1's canon, was fantastic for dislodging or erradicated enemy teams from houses. however the expenditure of the ammo is awful and I found myself with the 50 cal left only, and plenty of other houses to fired at !!!!! have to pull it down from now on