Astounding graphics/speed improvement

Hi Folks,

wanted to share some findings that I just made that have resulted in:

faster/smoother graphics improvement

cleaner models/less degradation

no more lagging mouse movements.

using 1.06 on Vista with Intel Centrino Duo

Nvidia GEForce 8400M GS Driver 7.15.11.134 22/05/2007

I was experimenting with the application-specific settings in the nvidia control panel and found the following resulted in an astounding difference: [i've only listed the settings I've changed, left the others at default]

Anisotropic - Application

Antialising Mode - Application

Multi-Display - single display performance mode

Texture Filtering Quality - performance

Threaded Optimization - Off

CMSF was set to

VS Off

3d Best

Textures Improved

AA Off

Higher Priority On

Can't say enough what a major difference these settings made. previously any smoke would slow things down, big firefights would lag, mouse would lag around now everything runs really smooth and I've not noticed the models degrade once.

Hope others can benefit from these.

The performance increase is most likely only due to the VS being off. I've had VS on before and it wrecked performance, the game slowed down to a crawl. Switching VS off allowed me to play medium size scenarios at highest settings. As for the texture quality, I've found that the lower the texture quality, the lower the performance actually is :S

missinginreality, I've tried applying your exact settings, and I too am seeing a dramatic increase in both performance and, surprisingly, visual quality. I'm playing on an 8800 GTS w/ 169.21 drivers. This is definately something that should be brought to people's attentions.

Ok just tried this and Wow everything is so much smoother! perhaps a little drop in building quality? a few jagged edges at some angles but running great. what drivers are you running missing as I had to role back from the recent 1s due to problems with graphics redrawing etc.

Well I didn't see "Threaded Optimization" but I'm guessing that's either a function of having a single CPU machine or not running Vista.

I'm assuming the former.

I loaded a version of Armour Attacks! to see how it goes and it didn't seem much different.

If as suggested above, the major improvement comes from turning the "threaded optimisation" Off then I guess if you only have a single CPU machine it wont make much difference.

Anyway I'm seeing rates of 11-15 during a TOW launch with everything set to best so I'm happy.

I tried these settings and I found they increased my fps and overall removed all the laggy mouse and jaggy camera I had before. I found that I don't need all the settings to be exactly like yours to gain the improvement. I have 8800GT and following settings work great: difference to OP with bold

Anisotropic - 16x

Antialising Mode - 4x

CMSF was set to

VS Off

3d Best

Textures Best

AA On

Higher Priority On

Forceware 169.32

I suggest that if you have 8800 series Gfx card you'd maybe want to try my settings because it looks great and plays great. Huge improvement in performance compared to before. Thanks missinginreality!

Originally posted by Niskalaukaus:

I tried these settings and I found they increased my fps and overall removed all the laggy mouse and jaggy camera I had before. I found that I don't need all the settings to be exactly like yours to gain the improvement. I have 8800GT and following settings work great: difference to OP with bold

Anisotropic - 16x

Antialising Mode - 4x

CMSF was set to

VS Off

3d Best

Textures Best

AA On

Higher Priority On

Forceware 169.32

I suggest that if you have 8800 series Gfx card you'd maybe want to try my settings because it looks great and plays great. Huge improvement in performance compared to before. Thanks missinginreality!

that's fixed my jagged buildings, and is still running nice and smooth! thanks:D

Just thought I'd bump this thread as an XP and Nvidia Geforce 7600GT card user to say I too have noticed a significant improvement in game speed with the Nvidia control-panel settings suggested and with AA/AF on.

To clarify, here are my settings:

Nvidia Control-Panel:

AA: x4

AF: x8

Multi-display: Single Display Performance Mode

Texture Filter Quality: Performance

Threaded Optimisation: Off

CM:SF Options:

VSync: Off

3D Quality: Best

Texture Quality: Improved (I actually prefer this to Best as the game looks less "busy")

High Priority: Off (I get mouse problems otherwise)

Forceware: 169.21 (should probably upgrade)

In the vast majority of scenarios, FPS is now pretty much identical to what I get with other "demanding" games such as "Call of Duty 4". I also don't notice any significant deterioration in image quality due to the lower texture quality apart from the odd trench/dirt track graphical glitch when viewed from afar, which I may have been getting before anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I have followed your advices having difficulties ending the last battle of the campaign on elite. It worked fine till I received the reinforcements and became very slow with the motion of the mouse sequential and difficult to pin point to a place and or track to move it. It was impossible to survey the whole battle field since it took too much time to move through it.

I have a laptop running on Vista SP1 (had no choice) centrino 2 Duo T7250 RAM 2Go and NVIDIA 8600 M GS and desktop setting at 1440 X 900

with what missingreality tried it played better but the mouse movement where still not what I got with less important and heavy battle. I tried Niskalaukaus settings and it runs better.

I can only say that with normal battles these settings are anyway the best, but with an heavy battle file like this one, I think that I shall use my desktop with my nvidia good old FX ge Force 6200 and XP SP2 with an XP Athlon 3.0. When coming home i shall paste the file on it and give it a try.

Thanks guys for your good settings. Vista is full of surprise and I'm still waiting for the good ones

I'm going to download V 1.08. However I had no problem, but with that last mission in the campaign. There are too many buildings and units. On pause the mouse deplacement are fast and became erratic once the game was resumed. As I said there was however an amelioration with the settings precognized. I haven't time to try it on XP yet.