Theatre of War Status Update (Feb 2007)

Madmatt

As requested before we wanted to give you another update on what's being going on lately.

Since we first announced the game last fall, we (Battlefront.com) have been working hard with the developer (1c) to enhance the overall realism of the game as well as add new game features and options. Below is just a short list of the dozens of improvements that have been made so far.

* Visibility and engagement ranges have been substantially increased to realistic levels.

* Hand to hand combat for infantry has been added (abstracted visually).

* Restrictions to the use of captured vehicles and equipment has been added. Now only soldiers with suitable skills can use captured equipment.

* Heavy artillery and light mortars were added as off-map support.

* The infantry to armor ratio in all missions has been substantially increased.

* Relative spotting indicators for each individual unit have been added.

* The campaign has been changed to now allow advancement to the next mission despite defeat in a previous mission.

* Fire on the move for vehicles with good enough crews has been implemented.

* Delayed detonation and real-world physics for hand and anti-tank grenades have been added.

* Enhanced physics modeling for all large caliber shells have been added.

* Better burst duration modeling for automatic weapons added.

* Infantry movement rates on various ground surfaces have been improved.

* Realistic physics for vehicle movement (usage of gears, throttling etc) have been added.

* Targeting for all units has been improved, it now depends more on target visibility, target movement status and firing mode.

* Various tweaks to vehicles and equipment: model sizes, damage calculations etc.

* Improved morale calculations.

* New missions have been added.

* Heavy air-bombers were removed from close air support role.

* The delay for air and artillery support has been increased to realistic levels.

* Unit path finding has been improved.

* Recon airplanes added into the game.

* Weather conditions and their effects on spotting, movement and combat have been improved.

* Realistic Uniforms, Ranks, Names and numbering conventions for all nation’s soldiers and vehicles have been implemented.

To help showcase many of the recent changes (realistic engagement ranges, Weapon Range indicator, rebalanced scenarios etc...) we have prepared a new Screenshot Gallery with 70 in game pics taken from the most recent game build.

ww2%202007-02-03%2015-03-10-64.jpg

Theatre of War Screenshot Gallery

Final play testing is being done on the current beta and is proceeding very well. We expect to announce a final firm release date later this month.

Madmatt

[ February 08, 2007, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, Madmatt, yes I'm still brousing here from time to time. Thanks for all the info and keeping us abreast on how things are going. This was all I asked.

I must say this looks and sound like a game I am looking forward to. And wow you people at battlefront are doing some major revisions of which I am impressed and all the more eager to see.

Thanks

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Final play testing is being done on the current beta and is proceeding very well. We expect to announce a final firm release date later this month.

Madmatt

The best News I've heard all month.... Well done to all involved, I wish you all the success with this project. I can only do my bit and buy it as soon as its released.

;)

RCMP - psst, don't tell anybody: we didn't want to include it in the official press release just yet, but it looks like the game will ship with a mission editor. You won't be able to do all new maps most likely, but will be able to create entirely new missions with the dozens of maps the game ships with.

Once this gets official, we'll send out a new news item later this month.

Martin

Originally posted by Moon:

RCMP - psst, don't tell anybody: we didn't want to include it in the official press release just yet, but it looks like the game will ship with a mission editor. You won't be able to do all new maps most likely, but will be able to create entirely new missions with the dozens of maps the game ships with.

Once this gets official, we'll send out a new news item later this month.

Martin

:D I'm very happy now :D

Any mention of how easy it will be to add new units, since the 88 Flak is still abscent? :(

Now this is the news I have been waiting for. I have delayed my purchase of a new PC so far. Only when I know when ToW hits gold will I buy a new rig. Allthough the wait for ToW has been longer than anticipated, my new rig will be better for it :)

Looking forward to THE announcement later this month!

Here's an odditty:

In this screen:

http://www.battlefront.com/products/tow/screenshots2/pages/ww2%202007-02-03%2016-03-49-92.html

The 37mm gun has a much lower velocity and penetration.

But in this screen:

http://www.battlefront.com/products/tow/screenshots2/pages/ww2%202007-02-03%2016-05-18-61.html

It's almost twice as fast and much better at beating armor! I don't understand!

Wait I see that it has a 1937 shell in the first screen and 35 in the second but they are both AP so why the big difference and wouldn't a later AP shell be better not worse?

Ok I figured it out the Shell Mle is for HE rounds and Shot Mle is AP but that dosn't explain why it has a AP icon in the loaded shell indicator.

madmatt: That's a great news! I hope it will be a really killer game! But as Markus asks: how will be multiplayer game solved there? WeGo turn based, pauseable realtime or no pause? And will be there some clear results like player1score:player2score? Or just the statistics like in the russian version, which tells nothing about the victory value?

thanks...

Originally posted by Flanker15:

Here's an odditty:

In this screen:

http://www.battlefront.com/products/tow/screenshots2/pages/ww2%202007-02-03%2016-03-49-92.html

The 37mm gun has a much lower velocity and penetration.

But in this screen:

http://www.battlefront.com/products/tow/screenshots2/pages/ww2%202007-02-03%2016-05-18-61.html

It's almost twice as fast and much better at beating armor! I don't understand!

Wait I see that it has a 1937 shell in the first screen and 35 in the second but they are both AP so why the big difference and wouldn't a later AP shell be better not worse?

Ok I figured it out the Shell Mle is for HE rounds and Shot Mle is AP but that dosn't explain why it has a AP icon in the loaded shell indicator.

I *think* the penetration values you are seeing in the first picture is actually showing the values not for the Ml3 1937 shell, but for the coax Machinegun. When you switch weapons, it takes a second for display of some of the stats to switch over and that pic might have been taking while someone was clicking the different weapons and ammo types, hence the discrepancy...

Madmatt

Originally posted by Artie:

madmatt: That's a great news! I hope it will be a really killer game! But as Markus asks: how will be multiplayer game solved there? WeGo turn based, pauseable realtime or no pause? And will be there some clear results like player1score:player2score? Or just the statistics like in the russian version, which tells nothing about the victory value?

thanks...

Good questions all, and since I just got a new patch build tpday with multiplayer tweaks and fixes added I will let you know as soon as Rune gets back online so I can play against him!

Madmatt

John, do not feel to sorry for the Russians. Their misery will hopefully be over soon. AFAIK they will get all the Battlefront fixes in a coming patch - this way MP games would be possible with our Russian friends too.

If you are that happy with heavy bombers doing CAS runs, what do you think of this picture ???? Don't worry - despite the cyrillic letters, it is not ToW. It is the upcoming "Officers". Looks a bit scary :D

Uwe

Originally posted by Madmatt:

Good questions all, and since I just got a new patch build tpday with multiplayer tweaks and fixes added I will let you know as soon as Rune gets back online so I can play against him!

Madmatt

Personally you can't beat a human opponent, though I SP occasionally, I play against friends 90% of the time. MP has to be good for me so I am looking forward to hearing your notes and features with great interest.

Thanks Matt

Glad to see the larger bombers removed from CAS. On the rare occasions that they were actually used as CAS they were just as likely to hit their own troops as they were the enemy.

I believe on one occasion B-17s that were used as CAS dropped all their bombs on allied positions. Killed over 200 allied soldiers...don't think they tried it again after that.

Markus86 is correct.

We're shipping some preview code to the press today for TOW, so expect some more independent news on the Battlefront release as soon as the journalists turn those around. We're expecting to announce a firm release date later this month, and this will include a date for when (pre-)orders open.

Martin