Theatre of War Status Update (Feb 2007)

Madmatt

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by franz:

I seem to remember they "were expecting" to have the game released before Xmas in 2006.

Do you still have blind faith in the term "we are expecting" ?????

LOL, thats a good one, Franz....

I will be playing STALKER atleast until this one finally decides to be ready....

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully noone is paying you guys becasue honestly this is a joke. Last year we were filming a small 10 million movie and they were behind schedule by 13 days, those 13 days cost us 1.4 million. I'm never again hiring that director again. If I was the producer of this game I would fire everyone on it, and find someone who can finish it on schedule.

Maybe industrialised production of creative, non industrial products like good movies, good computer games etc., is just not the way to get the best products at the end......

But industrialised production is a good way of producing non creative products like hair dryers, toilet paper, standard movies and standard computer games. You can produce them cheap, repeatable and therefore relativly risk-free and plannable. And customers seem to be happy with them! At least with most of them.

Uwe

I for one would rather get a good product than have a bad product come out beforehand. I'd be more disappointed by a game that came out on time that I disliked than by a good game that came out late. I'm looking forward to Theatre of War and I just hope it meets my expectations when it does finally come out.

Originally posted by Reichenberg:

Maybe industrialised production of creative, non industrial products like good movies, good computer games etc., is just not the way to get the best products at the end......

But industrialised production is a good way of producing non creative products like hair dryers, toilet paper, standard movies and standard computer games. You can produce them cheap, repeatable and therefore relativly risk-free and plannable. And customers seem to be happy with them! At least with most of them.

Uwe

Everything that is produced with outside money is controlled, and you got to keep it on schedule. In a big budge movie 60+ mills, every day on set cost about 300k or more. Small movies 5-15 mills, we get insurance, if we fall behind schedule, the insurance takes over and finish the movie with a new crew. Every movie from Starwars to Pulp Fiction has been made like that.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Panzer Boxb:

That'll learn ya to leave. :D

True that. I'll stick around for awhile again.

Any of course I'll order TOW from principle if nothing else (although it does also look like fun.)

Originally posted by DrD:

Any of course I'll order TOW from principle if nothing else (although it does also look like fun.)

That's where I'm at. Gone for a while, dropped by Battlefront to see what the latest and greatest was... OH.. TOW! Battlefront? 1C? Where do I sign up! A little early download is cool, but I just wanted to get in on the game. Anyone remember back when CMBO first sold out? :D

Remember playing the beta demo so much that people were posting "mods"

Like only move vehicles backwards.

Play only from locked view on 1 unit.

etc.

And this was beta only, with LOS lines cascading off the map. etc.

And remember the Gold demo? (and the refresh monkeys?)

I've been in gaming a LONG time, and I don't remember ever being more thrilled than when I first fired up the CMBO Gold demo.