Theatre of War Status Update (Feb 2007)

Madmatt

A quick hello, I've loitered and browsed these forums since I found out about this game.

Now it's nearing release, I thought I'd check out your payment methods to buy this (download preferably, broadband is a wonderful thing).

Only Visa and Mastercard are shown at the moment, but I haven't got either of these.

Are the any plans to add Maestro and/or PayPal (which have covered all my past online purchases)?

Kes

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. This game looks awesome... I love realism and all, but the screens and videos make WWII look like a small war... I am only seeing maybe 30 units at a time, will there be large skirmishes? Say 40-50 guys on each side with 2-5 tanks? Also from the looks of it there are no quick build defences, like sandbags and stuff... For example; You attack a village/town and capture it, and are expecting a counterattack but the village has little to no set defensive structures... That is where you have infantry fill bags up with dirt or something, pile logs for protection, rather than stand upright firing towards APC's and such... I take it there are no constructables...

Hey Knowsknone,

Dont expect to see men filling sand bags etc, in the time frame for a battle there would be no time. That kind of defense would really only occur in a lul in fighting. I dont think thats going to happen in games lasting up to an hour or so.

Steve..

Awesome pics! :cool: One thing that disturbs me (as in many other 3D wargames)is that parts of the 3D world that include trees (any density) looks too much like a golf coursees or cleaned parks. If you have any chance to walk into local forests, you´ll notice that the forest floor is seldomly "grassy". In particular evergreen trees have a quite distinctive forest floor, as well as have deciduous trees with great variations during the 4 seasons. Having all that grass tiles under all trees takes much of the otherwise great looking landscapes realism IMHO. :(

exactly, that is what I have noticed all along but I could not put my finger on it.

The landscape does look a lot like a golf course !

everything is too sterile, perfect and clean - kind of like a Disneyland theme park.

I think the landscape needs to be "messed" up a lot more.

Okay guys, tension is mounting and is almost about to leave with the horse!

I want to know how to pre-order the game. I've dipped in and out of the various threads over the last year so if i've miossed an obvious link, smile.gif please no clever remarks about if only you'd looked at.....

How do i buy? how much? when? and from whom?

when?
this is the right question but an answer isn't available yet. you have to wait for an answer by end of february.

from whom
hm let's look at this forum smile.gif ah it's from Battlefront, the publisher. As soon as the game is ready you can order/preorder it via BFs online distribution system.

Checked latest screenshot gallery from 2.07

General impressions: The landscapes that obviously portray combat on the western front (France 1940, 1944?) reminds me quite much of my last holiday in the alps. Lots of green meadows, scattered mixed trees. Just cows are yet missing. Could be also any nature park somewhere in the US ect. :confused:

Trench lines of this size and completely uncamouflaged is very much unrealistic. I guess bigger sized trenches are required to get 3D collision stuff working better, but completely carelessly dug out trenches and highly visible concrete installations is nothing like the Maginot or Siegried line looked alike. This could be a modders paradise, if ToW is moddable at all. The eastern front screenies show the same uber sized trenches unfortunately. The worse they´re even more visible in the snowy white surroundings.

Generic gun positions: Some of the screenies shows a german Pak35/36 in the middle of one of those nice green meadows. Surrounded by a nice row of sandbags (!??), some crates and additionally "camouflaged" by a net on top. I can´t remember I have seen any such "composition" on contemporary pix of the time. This gun position simply says: "Here we are! Come shoot at us, kill us..quickly!" Wonder where this sandbag-mania comes from. Desert or italy combat might show some, but very very rarely for germans. Looks more appropiate for western allies far behind the frontline (artillery positions).

As already said, the western front style roads look odd (at least those I´ve seen on screenies). Road ditches, telephone/telegraphic poles and cattle fences as well as occasional traffic signs would add way more than high res cobblestone where none would be found in the real world. I guess the ToW 3D world is not made from single "tiles" as CM is and rather a huge graphic similar to Close Combat or Il2 maps. That means there´s no chance for modders to do better and the developers have yet to make their "homeworks" before the outside russia game release.

Not to be misunderstood, the graphics as a whole is superb, it´s beautiful, just some important details is wrong or wasted on secondary items! As is now you can´t "sell" the western european landscapes to any..(western) european. Check roads, rework those areas that contain trees (tree composition and floor), add more "dirt" and broken stuff (trees, an occasional destroyed truck in the road ditch ect.) and you start to have something looking like a "battlefield"! The eastern front landscapes appear to have more of these qualities already. smile.gif

Once I have a more modern PC on my desk, I´ll order the game for sure. smile.gif ...not just to see how those mentioned national battle drills and doctrines are implemented. ;)

Originally posted by patrat:

Okay guys, tension is mounting and is almost about to leave with the horse!

I want to know how to pre-order the game. I've dipped in and out of the various threads over the last year so if i've miossed an obvious link, smile.gif please no clever remarks about if only you'd looked at.....

How do i buy? how much? when? and from whom?

Originally posted by franz:

time for another update guys. What are we now - a week off, a month off, two months ????

They said we'd have a firm release date by the end of this month. Now, to be generous, I'm giving them the first week of March too. So I hope to hear something "official" within 2 weeks.

It is the end of the month more or less, and still no word... It would be nice to have somemore info please... This has been the most waited for game, that I have been looking forward to since the days when it was called Wartime Command. Please give us an update:)

Mike

Originally posted by K9crump:

It is the end of the month more or less, and still no word... It would be nice to have somemore info please... This has been the most waited for game, that I have been looking forward to since the days when it was called Wartime Command. Please give us an update:)

Mike

Quite right K9...

We've got a day to go, and it wouldn't be right to be seen going back on their word. ;):D

well its really hard to wait the.. "last weeks to release".., as i am up to date since it was called "battlefield command". after years of waiting, the last days seem to become the hardest. well but close combat III is doing its job still very well ^^

any status updates? pricing? ANYTHING? ;)

yours,

a thrilled austrian RTS-player

dont get your hopes up too much guys. They have not even implemented pre-orders.

Pre-orders are normally accepted at least three weeks in advance, so I would guess at least another month before release. At least !