Some multiplayer questions

traemyn

I am a huge multiplayer person and I have some high hopes for this game's MP even though I know I will enjoy the SP as well. MP is the future!

Multiplayer questions:

1. Will we be able to pick which units we fight with before the fight or are there only set- unit scenarios?

2. How will players find games? In-game browser or someother way?

3. Are you able to designate teams for multiplayer? ie 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 1?

3. Can you pick your 'side' regardless of your enemy's side? ie German vs German (yea I know it doesn't make sense but more freedom is better, almost always)

4. Are the end stats of the multiplayer games exported at all? If so, what will this include?

5. Have there been any serious 'shortcuts' or 'gameplay modifications' that have been changed in MP compared to SP?

6. Will MP be supported in patches as much as SP? (please please please) smile.gif

7. Will the 'pause' function exist in MP? If so, how will it work?

8. How many maps will there be for MP?

Thats all I can think of right now. Hope I can get some answers, thanks!

Numbers 1 and 2 are the biggest questions I have. I posted question number 2 about a month ago and never got a reply. That leads to to believe:

a. we are back to posting to the forums to look for opponents or some other IRC chat type stuff. :(

or

b. they believe wargamers already know each other and have everyone's email and MSN address and don't have any need of matching services. :(

Dear oh dear

A game that has limited multiplayer options has limited game life. This game has some excellent features but not focusing on an expanded playability for multiplayer is a huge flaw. With games such as Faces of war to compete with on the multiplayer WW2 arena and so many people playing on the net why would you limit MP to 4 people and no co-op, next you will tell me we can only play the Yanks.

Lets face it Single player games are great but nothing compares against testing your skills against other people and it usually more fun and challenging.

Please some-one tell me this is a cruel joke because the more i hear about this game the more dissappointing im becoming. :(

-----------------

"We're surrounded? Good, now we can kill the bastards in any direction." ~ Colonel Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller; Korean War

@Sammy_Davis_Jnr

I agree with most of your points, but you can't expect too much of MP from this game genre (yet). The majority of gamers here do not seem as interested in a detailed MP as the great source of replayability it truely can be. Don't know where that comes from exactly b/c MP can be an amazing thing... far surpassing any SP experience IMO.

So I didn't really expect this game to have anything but deathmatch (which is the most 'realistic' gamemode anyways). I believe if done right 4 player deathmatch will be just fine, especially if you can pick different units each game. Would be nice to know a little bit more though :confused:

So many good games are hampered by poor MP implementation or support. Example, Act of War DC/HT, a sleeper RTS made by a french company which was on par with Rise of Nations, graphically. Great engine and creative units but extremely difficult to get a MP game going, exascerbated by the general lack of interest from the gaming crowds. oh, and scripting the mission files in french basically kept most of the modders shunned. but, that's one game that only shines with player vs A.I. deathmatches, with the A.I. enhancement mod. its that hard to find good players.

But, I think MP gaming in wargames has a better chance only because the crowd tends to be more mature and patient. If it was up to me though, the safe bet is to put the resources in tweaking the A.I. if MP can't be reliably done. At least it'll help keep the game in the HD longer.

and dude, arent you from the FoW/SHOWW2 forums? sampling the neighbors wife, eh

Originally posted by Prattboy9394:

If it was up to me though, the safe bet is to put the resources in tweaking the A.I. if MP can't be reliably done. At least it'll help keep the game in the HD longer.

see thats where I would disagree and would rather they spend extra time on the MP which = infinite replayability in my book. But i'll take deathmatch over nothing anyday :D (ie Officers - canned MP until addon, bleh)

and dude, arent you from the FoW/SHOWW2 forums? sampling the neighbors wife, eh
of course, im always in search of the next best MP playground ;)

I like MP as much as the next person (especially coop MP), but I spend 90% of my gaming playing SP (for a number of reasons). A lot of people here are the same as me.

For that reason alone I do not buy a game if it is no good SP. However I also believe that if it is not a good SP game it stands little chance of being a good MP game anyway.

I think the answer is that MP will be awesome eventually. I have noticed that a lot of us here (myself included) are rather johnny come lately(s) only registered this month.

Since we are only now giving our input, many requests will go unanswered this month because the product is at the end of its initial phase. The time is near for the release of TOW. I for one am glad it is seeing the light of day.

This is the first gaming forum of any kind I have participated in because I think that this game will set some new standards for strategy and fun. For anyone who has followed the development of this game, well.... it has been a long journey.

It would be nice to think that this game had the same budget as Half-life 2, but we all know better. I know the wait-for-them-to-get-it-right game sucks, but in this case I think that most of it is right.

I hope these developers will show this baby lots of love after it is born (They seem like a bunch of nice people!!) Don't be suprised if TOW wins many awards.

So........... who will be my first victim in MP?

tongue.gif also some "pink mist" might be nice *har har* Oops, Blackbeard, arghhhhh tongue.gif

Also I hope I can expect the Edelweiss, Leontopodium alpinum, to be tenderly and lovingly rendered during the appropriate battles near the Alps. And another thing, can we expect Pluto to be listed as a planet during the events related by TOW?????

Yes campaign Mp would be a great step forward.

I agree with ajj1912

quote:I think the answer is that MP will be awesome eventually. I have noticed that a lot of us here (myself included) are rather johnny come lately(s) only registered this month.

Very true some of us are on the forum at quite a late stage, and the chance of being able to have any influence is Zip.

Maybe we could have an expansion pack that was designed for just MP. I understand there would be difficulties but i think it could be done. I believe and its just my opinion that most people would love a chance to play a game over a short campaign or even maybe a grand one.

Hopefully this could be achievable in the very near future.

The game has some excellent ideas, but i think it will die a slow death if MP is not considered more serious.

--------------

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein