Are there Maps and keyholes from distance

Bradley

Originally posted by Megakill:

You can engage at 500+ meters no problem.

All guns now have realistic ranges (several kilomiters for tanks, etc). We have tested this and it works ok.

You will be able to test this in a demo (coming soon).

Yay! If the Panzers don't have accurate long range fire it isn't nearly as much fun to plug them with a flanking T-34 at 75m.

Originally posted by Boosh:

Wasn't most of WW2 combat between infantry taking place at less than 200m usually? While tank combat never usually closed to that distance?

I wouldn't go so far as to say "never usually".

Probably true that most Tank combat took place at ranges considerably more than 200m, but close-range "knife fights" happened, too.

See, for example, some of the US repulses of German Armor attacks in Normandy, which took place in very tight terrain, and in the fog, or some of the engagements that took place during the Battle of the Bulge, where fog and tight terrain also played a role. And there were also a number of very close-range engagements during Bagration, in the forests and towns of Byelorus.

The idea that "most" infantry combat took place at under 200m is probably also an oversimplification. Intense infantry-on-infantry engagements, where men died in large numbers objectives were won or lost, sure. But that's not the majority of infantry combat, at least in terms of time.

Even when "on the line", most of the time, infantrymen sat around in foxholes, with the occasional long-range burst of MG or sniper fire at an exposed target, or a few harrassing mortar stonks now and then, being the extent of combat.

Thing is, days on end of "low intesity" combat makes for boring wargame material. So we usually play the shorter-ranged, decisive high intensity stuff. Not necessarily unrealisitic, just picking your battles, so to speak. . .

Cheers,

YD

Agreed this is a smart decision to make even from the perspective of a casual gamer like me who doesn't have worthless historic trivia memorized to spew out.

One of my tests whether to buy a new game came down to the fact, if they had multiple screenshots of tanks 50 meters apart shooting at one another it was scratched off my list as trash.

Originally posted by 1Cowboy8:

Agreed this is a smart decision to make even from the perspective of a casual gamer like me who doesn't have worthless historic trivia memorized to spew out.

One of my tests whether to buy a new game came down to the fact, if they had multiple screenshots of tanks 50 meters apart shooting at one another it was scratched off my list as trash.

I agree, that was was one of the main issues for me in that most screenies I viewed up to this point have many tanks squareing off at very close distances. That may be b/c of LOS issues.I have to wait like the rest of us for the demo. smile.gif

BTW love the signature Cowboy :D