Is this going to be another "G.I. Combat"...?

Charlie901

After playing the aforementioned game for about an hour I had to permanently shelve it, do to the lack of "Realism" and "Accuracy" I've become accoustomed to in the CM series.

Is this new title going to be more along the lines of "G.I. Combat" in it's play?

I saw from screen shots that you actually get tasks during the battle; like take out those newly discovered AT guns on the ridge.....wouldn't a prudent armchair general decide his own tasks as the ebb and flow of the battle develops on its own???

It seems that being given linear "Tasks" during an engagement kind of takes the strategic or tactical thought right out of the battle.

I really hope this new title is more of a Real-Time CM game and not another prettier "G.I. Combat" clone.

:(

Knowing BFC, they wouldn't have made the deal (and put their reputation on stake) if your fears were anywhere close to truth.

What TOW will be like, exactly, I won't know until I try the demo. But I expect it to be different from both CM and GIC/EYSA.

Originally posted by Sergei:

[QB] Knowing BFC, they wouldn't have made the deal (and put their reputation on stake) if your fears were anywhere close to truth.

Oh, the wailing and gnashing of teeth if it is like EYSA! The recriminations and the anger!

It'd probably provide more entertainment than the demo. smile.gif

No way to answer this question without a demo!

Haven't played GIC either, but I did play EYSA.

I am trying to think about some of its problems:

* Not all soldiers in EYSA entered buildings when ordered to do so. ---> Not an issue in ToW, because troops cannot enter buildings at all.

* Unpredictable Tank pathing/AI ---> no idea how those are in ToW.

* Unability to correct badly placed MGs, Bazookas, etc. ---> Not an issue in ToW, because each soldier can be controlled individually.

So, from what I can tell, some of the problems that are attributed to EYSA will most likely not appear in ToW.

Best regards,

Thomm

Originally posted by Charlie901:

Is this new title going to be more along the lines of "G.I. Combat" in it's play?

- ToW has a flying-first-person camera, like "G.I. Combat".

- The selection is per each soilder, like in "Codename Panzers".

- Soilders cannot enter buildings, like in "Sudden Strike".

They looked carefully at the best wargames, and took the best features of each. ;)

worst thing about eysa has got be the multiplayer. i was playing with my friend and i blew up his tank. when i later walked over to his computer the tank was alive and mine was dead!

the balance was also terrible. infantry couldn't destroy any tank and the battles were always one sided. how am i supposed to defend a hill against 5 heavy tanks with 2 guns that don't do crap!

CHarlie901 - in TOW you're the battlefield commander (say, a Major), not a General. As such you're part of the chain of command and get your objectives assigned from above. This is what is simulated when you receive a task during a mission.

As for the question in the thread title, the answer is "ohmygodnoway" smile.gif

TOW is perhaps what GIC in its various incarnations EYSA and whatnot (the game is undead I tell you; and we already know that EY was laughing all the way to the bank, he said so much on this very forum) was supposed to be, namely similar to a "Close Combat 3D" of sorts. It is lower in scale than Combat Mission, and therefore definitely much more tactical than strategic.

Martin

Moon, you got a link to Eric Young's post...search didn't bring up much. Would very much like to see that as I got involved with trying to support the EYSA community and had high hopes it would become something more. Oh, and your right..this game "type" has been undead and returning since CC1 smile.gif

Originally posted by MorgTzu:

Moon, you got a link to Eric Young's post...search didn't bring up much. Would very much like to see that as I got involved with trying to support the EYSA community and had high hopes it would become something more. Oh, and your right..this game "type" has been undead and returning since CC1 smile.gif

Here it is, from the CM:SF forum:

Originally posted by DASman:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DASman:

Hofbauer you old daog, that was FUNNNYYYYYYY!

Thanks for the laugh,

Eric

Not as funny as GI Combat.

Markus, that was truly embarrassing. </font>

Yeah, Mike was pissed about that, which was the point of the post. It is an undead game. Still selling, still making money, still funny to me.

EYSA looks to have the same virus. Still making money after three years. I don't get it either.

Thanks,

E

Originally posted by DASman:

Yeah, Mike was pissed about that

E

Really? Where do you get that from? *shrugs* You have your stuff to do, I have mine. Money impresses some people, not me. And I know who I'd rather give my cash to. I've bought 3 copies of CMBB, two of CMAK, 1 CMBO, and a Strategy Guide. By comparison, I gave away my copy of EYSA to someone who wanted it for free, I only regret I paid full price for it. At least I prevented him from doing so. One sale isn't going to make or break anyone, and if others dig your stuff, then I say good for you. It's a big market. I just don't see you as ever having the critical reception that BF.C has - so far. But markets change, so do designers. If you produce something worthy of critical respect rather than just dollars, I think that would be great. I hope you get to experience that someday.

Yeah, Mike was pissed about that, which was the point of the post. It is an undead game. Still selling, still making money, still funny to me.

EYSA looks to have the same virus. Still making money after three years. I don't get it either.

Thanks,

E

Eric Young,

If that is true, please put the resources to produce a final patch for EYSA to fix the last annoying bugs still remaining in the game. I think that after having supported "G.I. Combat", "Eric Young Squad Assault: West Front" and "Squad Assault Second Wave", your supporters truly deserve a properly finished game, without outstanding bugs... and even more if your game engine is still selling and still making money.

Txema

Well Eric can't laugh this one off I got EYSA for .99 cents off of ebay....LOL ROFLMAO HAHAHA. ;) Actually after the last patch it's not that bad. Certainly much better than out of the box. I just don't care for real time games though. I might play one, but, I will have bought it for a song and play it maybe once then toss it to the side.