Anyone else playing Close Combat again?

shredder

Or maybe you never stopped playing it. The anticipation of TOW prompted me to dust off my copy of Close Combat III: The Russian Front and install it (wasn't sure it would even work with XP, but the only thing that I needed to tweek was the scroll speed). I forgot how much fun I had with that game and the frustration I experienced with the path finding difficulties (just cross the ***damn bridge!!!) I can only imagine playing this sort of game in 3D. When can we preorder?

CC2 was the best imo. Still remember some intense fights on the Zone where it wasn't decided until we got a few men left on both sides.

Especially remember one battle where my German foe had two cats (of some sort) left while all my armor was gone. He got cocky and rolled them forward to finish me off. Then almost simultaneously both brewed up :D Had a piat or zooker team hidden through the battle plus a fresh assault team with demo charges. Infantry could really shine in that game if you used it right.

God I hope ToW will have the same tense multiplayer experience.

Until Tow is out CC is still best in its class.

There are so many great mods that made AI challenging smile.gif

Matrixgames is making Close Assault, CC clone on Firefight engine, an indie game by Sean O'Connor.

I must say this engine is just genious!

Firefight game is very raw, undetailed, but the bones in version 4 are just best i've ever seen in any wargame(including CM)! AI kicks ass, and the soldiers behaving is so real and no patch finding problems!

Its a pity that is another Matrixg. vaporware...

its a pity that Sean doesnt have a money for real development.

Its a pity(for gamers) that Battlefront is now true monopolist. tongue.gif

Close Combat: Battle of the Bulge was my favorite of the group. I really enjoyed how your success (or lack of it) directly impacted the strategic level of the game. Haven't really found a game that duplicated that combination of unit level gameplay and strategic movement.

Originally posted by Kwoon:

Its a pity(for gamers) that Battlefront is now true monopolist. tongue.gif

I don't see how BFC has a monopoly on war games. They just choose to make/publish the best war games out there, anyone could do it. Most choose to go after fancy graphics and not care about realism to the extent that BFC does.

Oh gawd - no! My wrist still aches thinking of the demo...and then there were those gawdawful English language voicings, like "Hees arrrmore eees too theeck!"

Weeks later I found the CMBO demo and haven't looked back since.

Originally posted by shredder:

Or maybe you never stopped playing it...

[ August 01, 2006, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: Brent Pollock ]

Yes, I still play CC5. I have CC3 but I prefer 5 because of the mods and the strategic level.

It gets very frustrating at times though, and I hate to make ridiculous house rules to handicap myself(playing with a single platoon for example) because the game is very easy.

Other than that, CCS are absolutely amazing games. :D

I don't play them anymore, but I own CC2, CC3, CC4 and CC5. I remember I got interested after playing the CC1 demo, then I got CC2 for my birthday, that basicly sparked my interest in WW2, so I bought all CC games released after that.

Originally posted by Prankster:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ParaBellum:

Prankster, simply download and run a CPU slow program before starting CC.

Thanks mate, can you recommend one? Or should I just "Google" it and pick one? </font>

Megakill:

"Hope you guys won't be disapppointed. I was inspired by CC when making the initial design of ToW. ;)"

It shows and it makes this ol' fogey very happy...and I second what was said above about the strategic (campaign) map, makes any game of this type twice as marketable :)

Good ol' CC days! Made for some real tense battles! I remember playing CC3 real red head to head in an internet cafe in Manila with my friend. We fought the "winter center ruin" map over and over, had at least 6 or 7 fights on it, the camaping going back and for, no one got the upper hand, boy we feared this map!

And wasn't it great to keep your troops during the campaing, their experience growing, etc, it really made it worthwile taking care of your troops, unlike CM (or later CC titles).

It was just great when you could keep those guys in that Stug alive, let them gain experience and then later on upgrade their vehicle to a Tiger.

Looking very much forward to ToW in this regard!!!

I played almost 8 hours straight with my ol' Army buddy the other day on CC2...same thing, very tense battles, poor village changed hands a dozen times. In CC4, if I had a squad or crew that survived 2 battles and gained experience, I would rename them something cool like "Sturm Team" or "Renegades", I would take care of my heroes, almost made it like a tactical RPG.