What campaign are you going to create?

Runyan99

I posed this question in the map thread but it wasn't answered.

Currently looking at mapmaking for the Mcensk/Tula operations in October 1941 by elements of 3rd and 4th Panzer divisions. Soviet paratroopers, cavalry, tank vs. tank engagements - has a little bit of everything.

As for what I want to see - Stalingrad naturally, though urban combat may be something more suited for CMX2 when it comes out.

Would like to see several Campaigns with the same unit - I think end of campaign data will be stored and we will have the ability to retrieve it. Perhaps a unit like the Leibstandarte with a long history, and participation in differing campaigns - urban fighting at Kharkov, deliberate assault in Kursk, etc.

I would also like to see the lesser-known units get some coverage - Italian, Romanian, and Finnish campaigns will be of interest.

Also the actions of mountain troops in the Caucusus; fighting it out in mountainous terrain hasn't really been done; with the new operational map we should be able to get some good mountain fights in.

The relief attempt towards Stalingrad in December 1942 by the 6th Panzer would be a perfect setting for a campaign. The Leibstandarte (especially Charkow, but no doubt George MC is already dreaming about it, aren't you, George?) would be great, GD, Wiking and many other elite units too, of course. Lately I'm more and more interested in the fighting in Poland and the Baltic in 1944, which also would be very interesting, but so much is possible that it is breathtaking. I remember the old Panzer Commander game, which also enabled some sort of campaign. The best gaming I've ever had till CM turned up. But I must stop talking about PzC, it makes me realize I'm getting old...;)

Well, I do happen to have this 10x12 sq.km Tali-Ihantala map in my Mapping Mission... even if the first release of the game doesn't have Finns, I'll start working on it as soon as I can lay my paws on the editor. I also have a 10x8 sq.km map of Vuosalmi, but I wonder how major river crossing operations would work.

I'll be very much interested to see a Stalingrad campaign, as well as something like Bagration or Seelow.

I would rather like a regiment-level campaign that replays some of the battles in the approach to St. Petersburg .. erm ... Leningrad. I believe that the terrain favors relatively small units and the logistics situation was not utterly hopeless for one side or the other as was true in many of the operations early in the war. That might be nice.

Also, I would like to see some kind of a ladder campaign or perhaps a team-tournament format where teams of players play over the same terrain with - for instance - a regimental combat team with four to seven players per team. Played as either round robin .. sorry, single elimination or double elimination or points depending upon victory/defeat level for a final score for the teams. Also the formation of more or less permanent "Combat Teams" - read "clans" if you prefer that term - who would play as either Soviet or German forces as a team for a relatively long period of time, either in challenge campaigns or tournament campaigns of relatively short duration and small size. <shrug> Just ideas and idle thoughts.

I would love to see a cavalry campaign...

Either winter of '41 in front of Moscow,

or summer '43 in pursuit across the

steppes...

Although it's clear we'll never get to

charge our cossacks mounted, with support

from wagon-carried Maxims, at least CMC

sounds like it will give Cavalry the Oper-

ational mobility that makes it so useful...

Some Soviet cavalry raids were massive in

scale...main force units would open a hole

in the Axis line, and a cav Division or

sometimes Corps would pass through...to

cause havoc behind the lines...they were

equipped with lots of ATR's and some T-70

light tanks...as well as mortars, 45mm

and 76mm guns...enough to deal with the

reserve force that the axis commander

would send after them...

When the time came to escape, they would

open a new hole in the Axis line and the