U.S. Culture Corps

Sgt Joch

Slightly off topic, but I thought it was cute:

U.S. Culture Corps

The following are excerpts from a handout that accompanied a weeklong course on Iraq's customs and history given to 25,000 U.S. Marines prior to their spring 2004 deployment to Anbar province in Iraq (the "Sunni triangle").[1] The course was devised by the Marine Corps Division Schools based in Camp Pendleton, California. –Editors

Greetings

Handshakes given at introduction and when leaving. Handshakes may be loose or limp wristed. Iraqis will hold the handshake for longer than U.S. Do not pull away. Females may just touch the fingertips, but generally no contact between men and women.

If Arabs do not touch someone they meet, they either do not like the person or are re­straining themselves because they think the person is unaccustomed to being touched.

To kiss the forehead, nose, or right hand of the person shows extreme respect.

Courtesy is valued and is not a weakness.

General rule: Treat every Iraqi as if he were a colonel.

Physical Contact

Touching among same sex is not considered homosexual. Good friends often hold hands as a sign of friendship.

They keep no distance between individuals, even when sitting.

If you move back they will just close the dis­tance again.

Gestures

To signal a vehicle to stop, place arm in front of you, palm down, and then move entire arm up and down. If you simply face the palm toward a person, it means hello, not stop, as in America.

"That's enough, thank you"—patting heart a few times.

The thumbs-up used to be obscene, but chil­dren are accepting it and using it. They also know the thumbs-down.

The okay sign that Americans make is con­sidered bad. It is an evil eye.

Hospitality

Arabs are very generous and will do anything possible to be good hosts. You may be judged on how well you accept their hospitality.

Gifts may be given when you arrive at a meeting, etc., but are not important. The host will not make a fuss over it and will never open it in front of you. A good gift has no practical value and little commercial value; a fancy gift is like saying to the recipient, "I knew you couldn't afford this, so I bought it for you."

Always accept beverages or anything offered to you.

Food is given in large proportions. Coffee being served means: meeting over.

Respect

Respect and courtesy show strength and masculinity.

Look into eyes (no sunglasses to be worn when speaking to Iraqis).

Show no fear, stand your ground.

Loyalty is important, so speaking badly about your unit, commanding officer, or America will cause you to lose their respect.

Family is the cornerstone of Arab society. Arabs value family honor, and their personal ac­tions and achievements reflect the entire family.

Women hold the honor of the family, and therefore you should not stare or try to interact with them. A simple verbal greeting will suffice.

Do not ask men how their women are doing; instead, ask how the family is.

Showing family pictures is a good way to open relations. Arab women do not show arms or legs, and a picture of your wife in shorts will say to an Arab that you do not respect women.

Problems can often be solved by talking to the senior member of the group and asking him what he would do. For example, if your Iraqi students are falling asleep in a patrolling class, ask him what he would do if "hypothetically" his students didn't pay attention. The problem will probably go away quickly.

The group will set the tone/pace, not indi­vidual accomplishments. Arabs do not want to outdo the other guy, so they may hold back to stay with the group.

Do not shame or humiliate a man in public. Shaming a man will cause him and his family to be anti-Coalition.

The most important qualifier for all shame is for a third party to witness the act. If you must do something likely to cause shame, remove the person from the view of others.

Shame is given by placing hoods over a detainee's head. Avoid this practice.

Placing a detainee on the ground or putting a foot on him implies you are God. This is one of the worst things we can do.

Arabs consider the following things unclean:

-Feet or soles of feet.

-Using the bathroom around others. Unlike Marines, who are used to open-air toilets, Arab men will not shower/use the bathroom together.

-Bodily fluids (because of this they love tissue paper).

Law

Spilling blood in a mosque is considered the highest crime.

The penalty for rape is death.

Reality

May exaggerate to sound more appealing. Arabs do not believe in cause and effect but rather in isolated incidents or the will of Allah. Speeding on a winding road did not cause the wreck, Allah willed it to happen, etc.

Small problems with a plan will mean terminating the entire plan.

Arabs perceive problems as someone's plot to make their life more unpleasant. We may view this as paranoia.

Miscellaneous

Arabs make group decisions. Do not try to force an individual to make a decision without consulting the group first. If forced to make a quick decision without consulting with others, they feel no commitment to abide by it.

Safety is a foreign concept (everything happens because of Allah).

Amount of facial hair is considered directly proportional to religious faith.

They never forget a wrong done to them or a good deed done for them.

this is my favorite: "General rule: Treat every Iraqi as if he were a colonel."

US Culture Corps

What's the funny part?

Here's one...pretend that the Iraqi Army has hired you to EDIT-write a culture guide for Montreal, in the event that they ever send troops here and don't want to offend the civil population.

What kinds of things would you say? I'll leave the obvious insults about poor driving and poutine out and leave you to provide some of the serious ones.

[ November 23, 2005, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

What's the funny part?

I meant "cute" in terms of interesting. I'm pleasantly surprised to see that U.S. forces realize the importance of being aware of cultural differences, something which is often sorely lacking in Canada.

Michael, if you ever come to Montreal, I will be glad to give you a guided tour of Montreal's famed fleshpots. ;)

[ November 23, 2005, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: JC_Hare ]

US Army has these for pretty much every country. I have these "culture manuals" for Bosnia and Egypt. They have some phrases, expected local flora/fauna, climate, etc

The funny fact for Egypt- when you sit, do not sit cross-legged, as this might show the bottom of your foot to Egyptian, which is an insult

Another one- only use right hand to shake hands, as the left is considered "unclean" -they use it to wipe their buttoms after pooping

Originally posted by JC_Hare:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

What's the funny part?

I meant "cute" in terms of interesting. I'm pleasantly surprised to see that U.S. forces realize the importance of being aware of cultural differences, something which is often sorely lacking in Canada.

</font>

Its good to respect cultural diffrences and its good to have a framework to build upon. In my experience I find it best to treat anyone how you would like to be treated, sounds obvious, but youd be surprised. Old people have a special status that we dont tend to use in the West. Eye contact is paramount, learning a few phrases is a necessity. Respect is an absolute. Look the guy in the eye and smile, dont show any weakness whatsoever. Be direct and firm in your requests and above all - if you have an interpreter, dont speak to the him, speak to the guy your speaking too.

You should see the US pamphlet for the UK! If that was anything to go by I wouldnt put my faith in the Iraqi pamphlet.

Finally, believe it or not, the majority of the population want the same things for their family as you do, have the same feelings, wants and needs, remember that and you wont go wrong.

Just my tuppence worth.........

The Army puts these things out for everywhere they go. There was one for Germany as well.

"Germans don't consider staring to be rude and will often watch people for entertainment.

Germans will not form lines for things like the bus or in stores. Many Americans will be skipped over because they expect to be next when, in fact, there is no order.

The Polizei WILL give you a ticket for "camping" in the left lane as it is for passing only. They can also pull you over without cause to conduct random checks of papers and licenses."

At least those are the ones I remember.

[ November 23, 2005, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: sgtgoody (esq) ]

I find it best to treat anyone how you would like to be treated, sounds obvious, but youd be surprised.
I think that's a pretty good guide within a culture, but given significant cultural differences not so good.

I, for example, constantly show the bottom of my feet to people, and expect the same.

Seriously, though, meetings between my "out west" relatives and the "back east" contingent are generally a little tense. There's enough of a difference between the louder, more demonstrative westerners (mostly kansas, OK) and the much more restrained easterners (mostly NY) to make those simplying "being themselves" seem very rude to the less tolerant older folks. (The younger ones seem to either get along fine or simply loathe each other for reasons far beyond manner.)

Where people are willing to give you the benefit of the doubt I think your guideline works well. But for "flashpoint" situations like a military presence and family reunions, I dunno...

I guess it would be pretty hard to be polite when you are breaking into someone's home and searching it for bad guys or weapons.

I find it odd that the military, especially the Corps would go through so much trouble to teach young Marines about Islamic culture, maybe it should be the other way around, I don't remember growing up in the States calling anyone else an "infidel"

When I wwent to Vietnam, all I was told was to shoot back at the people shooting at me. When that wasn;t happening and there were Vietnamese people around, I treated them as I would have liked to be treated.

Armed men, wandering through a neighborhood, anywhere in the world, are usually going to be treated with hostility and suspicion. What matters that they know local customs?

I would think these guidelines are meant to be used in non-combat situation, where U.S. forces would not want to inadvertently offend or harm unarmed and non-threatening civilians.(i.e. winning of hearts and minds)

for example, this tidbit:

"To signal a vehicle to stop, place arm in front of you, palm down, and then move entire arm up and down. If you simply face the palm toward a person, it means hello, not stop, as in America."

could mean the difference between life and death for an Iraqi motorist.

In potential combat situations, I presume the gloves come off.

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JC_Hare:

Slightly off topic, but I thought it was cute:

Hard to pick a favorite, but this one stands out;

</font>

But what if the Iraqi was a General? Wouldn't he be pretty pissed off getting treated as if he were a colonel?

Originally posted by Nidan1:

I find it odd that the military, especially the Corps would go through so much trouble to teach young Marines about Islamic culture, maybe it should be the other way around, I don't remember growing up in the States calling anyone else an "infidel"

Try different words with the same meaning.

I imagine that 'Communist' would have a roughly equal meaning for the 60's and 70's USA.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Nidan1:

I imagine that 'Communist' would have a roughly equal meaning for the 60's and 70's USA. </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Nidan1:

I imagine that 'Communist' would have a roughly equal meaning for the 60's and 70's USA. </font>

Perhaps if we go back to the '50s, then the meaning is more analogous.

However, the dictionary definition is not the issue here, it's how the word is used. I've certainly seen 'Liberal' used in exactly the same manner as 'Infidel'

It's all in the user's intent, isn't it? Or the hearer's interpretation. I agree that "commie" "pinko" "hippie" "liberal" "neo-con" et al can be used with just as much vitriol as an Arab might use "infidel."