even more Photos of the Day

akd

Quick comment (I am unable to load the video, unfortunately). It is very, very difficult to fake a video. However, it is not that difficult to fake a small, compressed digital video designed for Internet use. The reason is the size and compression of the footage tends to wipe out the sorts of Red Flags that are easy to spot when the video is shown full size and uncompressed.

This is not to say the Bradely wasn't in real life attacked and blown up as the video shows, just pointing out a possibility for continued consideration. IMHO both are theoretically viable since the global Jihad has one of the best technically savvy propaganda media outlets that the world has ever seen. They also have a track record of doing things just like what was shown on the video for real.

Steve

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Dorosh,

Oh, great! As if there weren't enough confusing things, I must now report the existence of two different Grizzly AFVs. There's the Piranha derivative you showed and also a brand new vehicle developed by Blackwater Security for VIP protection, moving teams through high threat zones en route to secure areas, etc. The latter was on Future Weapons the other night on the Discovery Channel, and is designed to be mine/IED survivable (high ground clearance, V-shaped hull bottom), 12.7mm MG proof, and be able to withstand at least a near miss from an RPG. It can mount a variety of armament options and has several firing ports fitted as well. Guess we now have to specify which Grizzly we're talking about when we post!

Regards,

John Kettler

There are no track marks in the soft muddy path leading into the vehicle driveway. The Bradley must have backed into the driveway and around the obstacles shown in the video. But there are no track marks.
I see track marks going from about 12 o'clock to about 3 o'clock, between the barriers. It's some sort of track. And we don't know what the road is made out of. Just because it is wet doesn't mean there are going to be deep ruts.

Two, if you look at the blast pattern starting at 3:28, there is very little in the way of a horizontal blast wave that roils the placid water, which BTW remains mirror placid throughout the explosion. Also note the pebbles falling on the water from a high trajectory, not the low angle fragments you would expect. How did they rise to an apex and fall so fast as to beat the horizontal fragments?
You are looking head on at the splashes so there is no way to tell what angle they are hitting the water. But I do not see a 'wave of water'.

Third, look at the transition at 4:21 where the smokelike mist disappears to be replaced by a sudden black plume rising high into the sky. Freeze frame it and you'll see it.
That's exactly what vehicles that have been hit in combat do. The first smoke is mostly dust from the explosion as explosions don't really make smoke. If they did that would indicate that the explosives are pretty poor quality. As this is an arty round the explosive quality is military grade. So first you see basically dust from the explosion and then it changes color as it is now real smoke from something burning.

And at the very end of the video you can hear some irregular explosions. That could very well be ammo cooking off though usually the smoke will billow when there are secondaries. But if it's 25mm going off there won't be much of a billowing affect.

Looks real to me, but I am certainly not a video nor an exploding Bradley expert.

civdiv

Link to The "Bradley Video" thread at The Belmont Club.

Lot's of interesting commentary.

Some that suggest a hoax -

What cinched it for me is how he handled the ~50 liter gas can that should weigh around 75 pounds full or at the very least slosh around if containing enough to bother with. It is very Hollywood. First he is given it by someone off camera stage right and he lifts it almost to the top of his head. Then he tiptoes with his arm bent in a crouch. Most people would be lugging the thing with their opposite arm way out in an attempt to balance the weight
Fake but accurate?

The thing that leaps out at me is the multiple flashes marking what is supposed to be the detonation. I've looked at the sequence a number of times, and You don't even have to be viewing in slow motion to see these. There are a few frames of flash, then a few frames of the undamaged Bradley, then another few frames of flash, and then another glimpse of the vehicle. Those flashes are unquestionably doctored.

The terrorists are themselves unlikely to include experienced special effects people, but Al-Jazeera certainly has well-funded equipment and staff with experience in the most sophisticated studios around the world.

Doesn't mean there was no explosion. It just seems to be symptomatic of a culture that makes no distinction between propaganda and journalism (Hey! They really *are* just like us...) They just *HAD* to make it more flashy than reality.

Whether the video is "real" or not would depend on what it claims to portray. It seems fairly clear that they found an unguarded (possibly broken down) Bradley, placed some explosives and fuel under it and set the explosives off producing a showy -- but possibly not that damaging -- explosion. There is a credible amount of high-velocity detritus impact immediately after the explosion. This is most likely rocks and stuff that bounced off the bottom of the Bradley and splashed in the water nearby. There are a few lower-velocity, high angle impacts later but nothing big (like a Bradley turret) so it is likely the Vehicle survived the explosion largely intact.

There was a small fuel fire visible to the left of the vehicle after the explosion, then a video fade leading to a larger, smokier fire. This could be the result of editing the video for time while the fire gradually grew from leaking fuel... or it could be the result of editing out the part where the insurgents came back and dumped a bunch of extra diesel oil on the fire to make it more impressive.

The sequence where the guy was placing the explosives was shot with a hand-held camera but the camera was clearly on a tripod for the explosion -- another video fade. This could be prudence on the part of the cameraman (I wouldn't want to stand and film that explosion) but it also makes it easier to manipulate the video.

It seems likely that quite a bit of time passed between the placement of the explosives and the detonation. There is a white flag hanging by the road -- on the left by a telephone pole. (Could it have been left by the guys when the Bradley broke down?) During the hand-held part the flag is flapping in the wind but in the tripod-mounted sequence leading up to the explosion it is either gone or at least still.) The palm trees on the left continue to move from the wind but the flag is no longer flapping and the portion of the image near the Bradley is oddly motionless. The fixed camera position would make it easier to manipulate the image. It does look like a composite to me. The center of the frame and the lower right side seem to be in slow-motion but the palms near the buildings on the left are moving in the wind normally until the dust cloud reaches them. Possibly the slow-motion is what suppressed the flapping of the flag.

I also am not sure I buy the behavior of the insurgent placing the explosives. I don't buy the Elmer Fudd tip-toe sneak. It also strikes me that the fuel can has to be mostly empty for him to lift it like he does.

None of this means the video is "fake" if by "real" one means that the insurgents found a piece of broken down US hardware and tried to blow it up before the tow truck could come pick it up.

Some that say it's real ...maybe -

the video is definitely real. There is no way they were able to get the shadows of the smoke so accurately.
I don't know about the lack of track marks. There are some, I think (or tire tracks), fairly close to the obstacles, and the glistening mud was perhaps too wet for tracks to show up in most of it.
I am not sure it is fake. You can see the ripples in the pond. Also, as soon as the wind blows the trees the smoke begins to blow away.
I'm leaning towards doctored up and edited.

PS - There's some 50+ posts over there on this you can read if you're interested, the above are just a sample of them.

The fake arguments are really weak. More like a try to deny the obvious by pointing silly details like they are physics and explosions gurus. The only edit I see is for emphasizing the moment of the explosion as seen in myriads others insurgent videos from Iraq and the fat pixels effect to hide the face of the bomber. As for the transition, it took a bit for the fire to become visible perhaps so they speed it up. And that towards the end was ammo cooking of right? So internal explosions and fire possible. Err, how this exploding, burnt out vehicle can be considered repairable??

The whole place looks like a hastily prepared US outpost. Nets behind, concrete barriers etc. The alley looks like leading to a dead end. So maybe soldiers are guarding only the entrance and the approach towards the vehicle, while there are some holes on the alley side from which the sneaky and obviously short guy passed through.

The only alternative I can think is that the whole outpost was abandoned and so was the propably immobile vehicle. Perhaps they didnt have the means or time to blow it up.

Catchy tune.

I think there certainly was some editing in terms of time, and among other things we don't get to see what kind of detonator there was. But I think the vid basically is real, insofar as the insurgents blew up a Bradley in that particular alley, using a 152mm artillery shell and a Jerry can probably with something flammable inside of it.

Things that convinced me:

1. The water ripples are right, not just for the explosion but when the guy is moving through the puddles. When I say right, I mean what you see and don't see is consistent with looking at water through a telephoto lens.

2. The guy after placing the shell waits a beat and then makes a gesture to his buddies off right: "Hurry the frig up with the Jerry can, I don't like sitting out here in the open!" True that non-verbal communication could have been acted, but it is awfully human, and its meaning is unmistakable.

To me that is evidence of authenticity. If the propaganda message is selfless jihadis, you don't put the part about the guy getting pissed because his buds are not forthcoming with the Jerry can. And either he is pissed or he is a brilliant actor.

My opinion, the guys body language is consistent with a person of the opinion that, if he stays low and keeps the window that got the circle drawn on it on the other side of the Bradley, he's not going to be seen.

This body language evidence is not conclusive, of course. But I think it looks like the guy is doing the deed for real, rather than acting.

3. I am not convinced the man's ability to handle the Jerry can is proof of faking, but perhaps that is just my inclinations, I have no hard proof.

As I understand it fumes in a Jerry can are excellent explosives; if I remember right gasoline fumes are something like twenty times more explosive than dynamite. This is why driving around with empty and fully-sealed Jerry cans is a no-no with disciplined troops. Thus, one possibility is the can is not full, so as to increase the effect of the explosion.

Another interpetation is that, from what I can see, he does no major lift with the can, just receives it. It may have been heavy, but perhaps he had the incentive of not making excess noise to motivate him.

It is of course possible to argue no one could manipulate a full Jerry can like he did, and that the Jerry can must have been full. I wonder - the fire puddle after the explosion doesn't look 20 liters big to me.

4. The US arms sounds at the end are obviously edited in and have nothing to do with what happened in the ally. There may have been a bit of panic fire from the Americans in the building once the Bradley was trashed, there are a few plips in the puddle, but that could be the director off-screen throwing pebbles.

I wish I knew what the white rag meant. But taken alltogether, it seems unquestionable that somewhere in Iraq, at some point, a Bradley's crew crew somehow got separated from their vehicle. Maybe there was contact elsewhere, or maybe the vehicle busted and they didn't want to sit in the vehicle in a bad neighborhood, better to hole up in a building. Maybe the First Sergeant or the XO thought that alley was a great place to park the Bradley as the company reaction force, but the assumption was they wouldn't be parked there long enough for the sneaky insurgents to, uh, sneak up to the Bradley.

Clearly we viewers are supposed to think the Americans are in the building to the upper left. I would say the guy's movements are consistent with the belief there are Americans up in the building, but whether or not that was the case I dunno.

Be that as it may, it seems also for sure that, after some period of time, the insurgents blow up the Bradley. It could have been minutes, and it could have been an hour or two. It doesn't look like the angle of the sun shifts too much from the beginning to the end of the vid.

The alternative is that the insurgents or their buddies had the skill, equipment, and intention to fake a pretty ho-hum explosion of a Bradley, and to do it so well thing like smoke, light, flying pebbles, blast waves through palm fronds etc. etc. are A Film Hollywood quality.

I have trouble buying that alternative, first because that's a world-class video manipulation skill level, and although the skill probably exists in Iraq or indeed in the Middle East somewhere the odds of the technician being in with the insurgency and having access to the equipment are perishingly small. I admit the chance is possible, but it seems to me the chances a guy crawled under a not-fully-secured Bradely and blew it up are alot higher.

This assumes, of course, that American troops could in fact leave a Bradley unsecured, despite rules obliging them to secure vehicles at all times, at the risk of their lives if necessary.

At the end of the day, I think the chances a US Bradley crew did not do that, for whatever reason, are a lot higher than the chances of the insurgents putting out a bit of video that, in many of its parts, would get George Lucas' seal of approval.

Best I can come up with that satisfies everything is that they did in fact find a Bradley not being guarded well, did in fact attack it, and did in fact edit the footage to make it seem more dramatic in some way or another. All of these things square with reality, especially the latter. Just about 2 weeks ago there was a video released from some Jihad group from Afghanistan that was clearly doctored in the sense that what they were saying was happening (voice overs/text) was not truthful. No ifs ands or buts about it. These are propaganda pieces, afterall, so of course doctoring will be the norm not the exception.

I do find it really hard to believe that an insurgent could get under a Bradley in some sort of staged attack. I mean, it isn't like WWII when each side had a lot of the other guy's hardware to use for propaganda. Insurgents do not have a single Bradley in their posession. They also wouldn't get video of one without US troops being around it and, most likely, shooting the guy taking the video. Therefore, it is extremely difficult to believe that the insurgents could have video of a Bradley like this if it weren't unguarded.

So... if the vehicle were unguarded, and the people finding it get a rush from blowing stuff up, then the safe conclusion here is that they did in fact find a target of opportunity and attacked it. They probably also doctored the video to make it suit their propaganda purposes better. But those edits probably don't misrepresent the basic facts.

Steve

In re the weight of the Jerry can, and how full it is:

If you look closely at it while he's carrying it over to the Bradley, you can see the liquid sloshing around inside it; it is definitely not completely full, and appears to be only 1/2 to 1/3 full.

The video is clearly not continuous; it has certainly been edited for time and to make a better "storyline;" beyond this, it's hard to say.

Given the low quality of the online video, it's certainly possible that the whole thing is staged; this will indeed mask many of the small perfections that usually give away CGI editing.

Good CGI editing is extremely difficult to detect; I did a project this past January, where they shot me all on green-screen, and then inserted me into footage of Times Square at rush hour. I've viewed the final cut backwards, forwards, and stopframe, and I can't detect any artifacts.

AIUI from the CGI post-prod guys I've talked to, the way way something the Bradley footage would normally be done would be to actually film the entire action sequence in the alley, with the sneaking, explosion, etc., but with a simple plywood mockup standing in for the Bradley. This way, all the little details - the blast ripples in the water, flying debris etc., are already there in the source footage. Note that you never get a very good look at the Bradley after the explosion -- it could be a pile of burning mattresses at that point, for all I can tell. . .

Then your post-production whiz-kid "Murphys" in the Bradley. You would need source footage of the Bradley from somewhere with more or less that same lighting, etc. Ideal would be footage of the Bradley in that exact loction, under more or less the same lighting conditions -- for example, if the Bradley parked in that location the day before, you could shoot footage of it, combine that footage with your action footage. This still isn't easy, and it requires great skill to do right, but can be done with the right source footage, equipment, and skill.

One thing that actually supports the validity of the footage is that there's a lot of camera movement and zooming. Shakey footage where the frame changes a lot makes it much harder to CGI in stuff post-production. Not impossible, but much harder. The CGI guys on set during shoots are always very concerned about consistent camera angle and frame for this reason.

I tend to think the hypothesis that this an abandoned (perhaps mechanical failure?) Bradley not guarded very closely, and some Jihadis got lucky is more likely. Impossible to prove for sure without higher quality footage, but more believable to me than the idea that the Jihadis would put in the considerable risk, time and effort it would take to fake something like this, when they already have very good footage of real attacks. You never know, though. . .

Cheers,

YD

I wouldn't have posted it had I observed any of the hallmarks of fakery. There is no physical impossibility in the video. The knee-jerk reaction is that it is impossible for us to be caught with our pants down like that, but we have many thousands of soldiers in Iraq running ops every day. Sometimes sh!t happens. Let's just chaulk it up as plausible but not confirmed and hope no one was inside.

Now if the jihadis can come up with a video of an Iraqi punching through a Bradley with his bare fists, then I'll be impressed with their FX skills.

Please continue speculation and conspiracy theory somewhere else other than the PHOTO thread. ;)

I just managed to view the video. Though it was peculiar in the extreme it didn't look faked. That's no carboard Bradley and 'Industrial Light & Magic' didn't blue-screen the guy in.

My first thought was a recollection from the Vietnam war. The North was able to time its activities because U.S. B-52 crews kept to a predictable routine. At XX hour they'll be having their breakfast, at XX hour they'll be taxiing on the tarmac, and the populace starts for the bomb shelters 45 minutes later. I'd bet anything that Bradley had been stationed at that same spot for at least week and everyone would go for chow at the same hour every day.

070320a3887d04257036ebha7.jpg

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Sgt. 1st Class Peter Hayes reports an update while on patrol in Mansour, Iraq, March 20, 2007. Hayes is with Alpha Company, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, Stryker Brigade Combat Team, Fort Lewis, Wash. U.S. Army photo by Spc. Elisha Dawkins
HIGH-RES for the following available.

070320-A-3887D-060.JPG

U.S. Army Spcs. Chad Bowers and Josh Campbell secure an area in Mansour, Iraq, March 20, 2007, while tracking down negative influence in the region in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. The Soldiers are with Alpha Company, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Infantry Re giment, 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, Stryker Brigade Combat Team, Fort Lewis, Wash. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Elisha Dawkins)
070320-A-3887D-043.JPG

U.S. Army Spc. Josh Campbell provides security in Mansour, Iraq, March 20, 2007, while tracking down negative influence in the region in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Campbell is with Alpha Company, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade , 2nd Infantry Division, Stryker Brigade Combat Team, Fort Lewis, Wash. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Elisha Dawkins)
070320-A-3887D-041.JPG

U.S. Army Soldiers secure an area in Mansour, Iraq, March 20, 2007, while tracking down negative influence in the region in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. The Soldiers are with Alpha Company, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade, 2nd In fantry Division, Stryker Brigade Combat Team, Fort Lewis, Wash. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Elisha Dawkins)
070320-A-3887D-036.JPG

U.S. Army Soldiers break a lock during a search for improvised explosive devices in Mansour, Iraq, March 20, 2007. The Soldiers are with Alpha Company, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, Stryker Brigade Combat Team, Fort Lewis, Wash. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Elisha Dawkins)
070320-A-3887D-035.JPG

U.S. Army Soldiers secure an area in Mansour, Iraq, March 20, 2007, while tracking down negative influence in the region in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. The Soldiers are with Alpha Company, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade, 2nd In fantry Division, Stryker Brigade Combat Team, Fort Lewis, Wash. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Elisha Dawkins)
armymil2007032313003457ii6.jpg

Future Tactical Truck System Utility Vehicle Demonstrator from International.
armymil2007032313002657kd7.jpg

Future Tactical Truck System Utility Vehicle Demonstrator from Lockheed Martin.

[ March 23, 2007, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: akd ]

070320-A-3887D-034.JPG

070320-A-3887D-027.JPG

U.S. Army Capt. Jonathan Fursman and 1st. Lt. Mark Giglio search for insurgents in Mansour, Iraq, March 20, 2007. Fursman is the company commander of Alpha Company, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, Stryker Brigade Combat Team, Fort Lewis, Wash. Giglio is the liaison officer with 1st Battalion, 2nd Brigade, 5th Calvary Regiment, 1st Infantry Division, Fort Hood, Texas. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Elisha Dawkins)
070320-F-7234P-051.JPG

HIGH-RES

A U.S. Army soldier from 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, conducts operations in Buhriz, Iraq, on March 20, 2007. DoD photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall, U.S. Air Force.
Christmas lights! Cool.

070320-F-7234P-048.JPG

HIGH-RES

A U.S. Army Soldier from 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, conducts operations in Buhriz, Iraq, March 20, 2007. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)
070320-F-7234P-043.JPG

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Kenneth Gunderson provides security for his fellow soldiers from the ramp of a Stryker combat vehicle in Buhriz, Iraq, on March 20, 2007. Soldiers from 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Div ision, are conducting operations in the Diyala province. DoD photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall, U.S. Air Force.
070320-F-7234P-009.JPG

U.S. Army Soldiers from the 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team prepare to clear palm groves in Buhriz, Iraq, March 20, 2007. Soldiers from the 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division, are conducting operations in the Diyala province. (U .S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)
070320-F-7234P-012.JPG

U.S. Army Soldiers from the 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team prepare to clear palm groves in Buhriz, Iraq, March 20, 2007. Soldiers from the 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division, are conducting operations in the Diyala province. (U .S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)
070320-F-7234P-018.JPG

U.S. Army Soldiers with 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team clear palm groves in Buhriz, Iraq, March 20, 2007. Soldiers from the 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division, are conducting operations in the Diyala province. (U.S. Air Force p hoto by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)

070320-F-7234P-023.JPG

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Spc. Stephan Hawk, with 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, provides security for his squad members as they clear palm groves in Buhriz, Iraq, March 20, 2007. Soldiers from the 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division, are cond ucting operations in the Diyala province. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)
070320-F-7234P-026.JPG

U.S. Army Soldiers from the 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team check a bag for weapons as they clear palm groves in Buhriz, Iraq, March 20, 2007. Soldiers from the 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division, are conducting operations in th e Diyala province. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)
070320-F-7234P-029.JPG

HIGH-RES

A U.S. Army Soldier with 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team moves with his squad as they clear palm groves in Buhriz, Iraq, March 20, 2007. Soldiers from the 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division, are conducting operations in the Diya la province. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)
070320-F-7234P-032.JPG

U.S. Army Spc. Stephan Hawk, with 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, provides security for his squad members as they clear palm groves in Buhriz, Iraq, March 20, 2007. Soldiers from the 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division, are cond ucting operations in the Diyala province. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)
070320-F-7234P-035.JPG

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Cpl. Dennis Westbrook, with 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, provides security for his squad members as they clear palm groves in Buhriz, Iraq, March 20, 2007. Soldiers from the 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division, are conducting operations in the Diyala province. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)
070320-F-7234P-038.JPG

070320-F-7234P-016.JPG

U.S. Army Spc. Steve Watanabe, with 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, provides security for his squad members as they clear an abandoned house in Buhriz, Iraq, March 20, 2007. Soldiers from the 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division, are conducting operations in the Diyala province. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)
070320-F-7234P-014.JPG

U.S. Army Pfc. Dino Lavan, with 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, clears an abandoned house in Buhriz, Iraq, March 20, 2007. Soldiers from the 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division, are conducting operations in the Diyala province. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)

Baby got back.

070317f7234p06565aeb74ul1.jpg

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Soldiers with 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team clear a route of 14 hoax and six live improvised explosive devices in Buhriz, Iraq, March 17, 2007. Soldiers from the 5th Battalion, 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division are clearing a suburb of Baqub ah in the Diyala province. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)
070317-F-7234P-059.JPG

HIGH-RES

A U.S. Army Soldier from the 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team provides heavy machine gun coverage during a route clearing operation in Buhriz, Iraq, March 17, 2007. Soldiers from the 5th Battalion, 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division are clearing a suburb of Baqubah in the Diyala province. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)
070317-F-7234P-058.JPG

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Spc. Brett Glaze, with 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, takes a short break to eat a meals, ready to eat during an operation in Buhriz, Iraq, March 17, 2007. Soldiers from the 5th Battalion, 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division are clearing a sub urb of Baqubah in the Diyala province. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)
070317-F-7234P-031.JPG

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Justin Little, with 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, commands his vehicle and provides cover fire security during an operation in Buhriz, Iraq, March 17, 2007. Soldiers from the 5th Battalion, 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division are c learing a suburb of Baqubah in the Diyala province. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)
070317-F-7234P-051.JPG

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Soldiers with 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team clear a route of 14 hoax and six live improvised explosive devices in Buhriz, Iraq, March 17, 2007. Soldiers from the 5th Battalion, 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division are clearing a suburb of Baqub ah in the Diyala province. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)
070317-F-7234P-036.JPG

HIGH-RES

A U.S. Army Soldier from the 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team provides heavy machine gun fire security during a route clearing operation in Buhriz, Iraq, March 17, 2007. Soldiers from the 5th Battalion, 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division are clearing a su burb of Baqubah in the Diyala province. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)

070317-F-7234P-026.JPG

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Justin Little, with 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, commands his vehicle during an operation in Buhriz, Iraq, March 17, 2007. Soldiers from the 5th Battalion, 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division are clearing a suburb of Baqubah in th e Diyala province. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)
070317-F-7234P-021.JPG

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Pfc. Angelo Rodriguez, with 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, stands by his vehicle as the sky is illuminated by flare during a night operation in Buhriz, Iraq, March 17, 2007. Soldiers from the 5th Battalion, 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division are clearing a suburb of Baqubah in the Diyala province. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)
070317-F-7234P-001.JPG

HIGH-RES

A U.S. Army Soldier with 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team prepares his vehicle for a night operation in Buhriz, Iraq, March 17, 2007. Soldiers from the 5th Battalion, 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division are clearing a suburb of Baqubah in the Diyala provin ce. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)

Just a cool pic, but old.

060322-F-7823A-006.JPG

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Soldiers from the 1st Brigade, 1st Armored Division provide ground security after dismounting from a UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter during an air assault mission in Tall Afar, Iraq, March 22, 2006. DoD photo by Staff Sgt. Aaron Allmon, U.S. Air Force.

32424205yz5.jpg

In an undated photo released by the U.S. Army, Staff Sgt. Darrell R. Griffin Jr. is shown. Griffin, of Alhambra, Calif., a 36-year-old Stryker infantry squad leader from Fort Lewis, Wash., died Wednesday, March 21, 2007, at the U.S. military hospital in Balad after being shot in Baghdad.
RIP

hires070323a4520n335b67wm0.jpg

HIGH-RES

From left, U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Juan Alba, Cpl. Joseph Casiano, Spc. David Tunstall and an Iraqi National Police officer conduct a combined cordon and search foot patrol at a market in Ghazaliya, Iraq, March 23, 2007. The soldiers are from Black Hawk Company, 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division. Defense Dept. photo by U.S. Army Sgt. Tierney Nowland
070324-A-4520N-451.JPG

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Justin Mongold walks down a smoke-filled street in Ghazaliya, Iraq, during a combined cordon and search with the Iraqi army on March 24, 2007. The smoke is from a controlled detonation set by an explosive ordnance disposal team to d estroy a vehicle borne improvised explosive device. Mongold is attached to Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division. DoD photo by Sgt. Tierney Nowland, U.S. Army.
070324a4520n439685a801ry9.jpg

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Sgt. 1st Class Brian Field, from Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, walks down a smoke-filled street in Ghazaliya, Iraq, caused by a controlled detonation by the explosi ve ordnance disposal (EOD) team during a combined cordon and search with the Iraqi army March 24, 2007. The EOD team laced two trunks of vehicle borne improvised explosive device with C4 plastic explosives to trigger the explosion and burned the cars af terwards causing the smoke in the air. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Tierney Nowland)
070324-A-4520N-123.JPG

U.S. Army Sgt. Eric Whitlock, attached to Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, observes his surroundings outside a house in Ghazaliya, Iraq, during a combined cordon and search with the Iraqi army March 24, 2007. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Tierney Nowland)
070324-A-4520N-331.JPG

U.S. Army Sgt. Rafael Perez talks on the radio while Staff Sgt. Justin Mongold pulls security in a courtyard during a combined cordon and search with the Iraqi army March 24, 2007, in Ghazaliya, Iraq. Perez and Mongold are assigned to Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Tierney Nowland)
070324-A-4520N-240.JPG

U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Micheal Eldridge, attached to Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, pulls security outside of a house in Ghazaliya, Iraq, during a combined cordon and search wit h the Iraqi army March 24, 2007. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Tierney Nowland)
070323-A-4520N-225.JPG

U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Juan Alba, Cpl. Joseph Casiano and fellow Soldiers prepare to search a house in Ghazaliya, Iraq, March 23, 2007. The Soldiers are from Black Hawk Company, 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Stryker Brigade, 2nd Infantry Divis ion. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Tierney Nowland)
070323-A-4520N-251.JPG

U.S. Army Spc. David Tunstall checks out an item an Iraqi National Policeman found in a vent in an abandoned house in Gazaliya, Iraq, during a combined cordon and search March 23, 2007. Tunstall is with Black Hawk Company, 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Re giment, 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Tierney Nowland)

070331-F-7234P-137.jpg

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Sgt. Bill Stachler throws a smoke grenade to mask his team's movements during a joint operation with the Iraqi police in Baqubah, Iraq, March 31, 2007. The purpose of the operation is to clear houses and palm groves near the Diyala River of any insurgent forces. Stachler is with the 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)
070331-F-7234P-121.jpg

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Sgt. Martin Jones, with 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, watches for suspicious activity during a joint operation with Iraqi police officers in Baqubah, Iraq, March 31, 2007. The purpose of the operation is to clear houses and palm grove s of insurgents near the Diyala River. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)
Where's Waldo?

070331-F-7234P-129.JPG

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Soldiers conduct a joint operation with the Iraqi police in Baqubah, Iraq, March 31, 2007. The purpose of the operation is to clear houses and palm groves near the Diyala River of any insurgent forces. The Soldiers are with the 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)
070331-F-7234P-096.JPG

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Soldiers clear an abandoned house during a joint operation with the Iraqi police in Baqubah, Iraq, March 31, 2007. The purpose of the operation is to clear houses and palm groves near the Diyala River of any insurgent forces. The Soldiers are w ith the 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)
There's mah M-14...

070331-F-7234P-073.JPG

HIGH-RES

A U.S. Army Soldier watches for suspicious activity during a joint operation with the Iraqi police in Baqubah, Iraq, March 31, 2007. The purpose of the operation is to clear houses and palm groves near the Diyala River of any insurgent forces. The Soldie r is with the 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)
070331-F-7234P-148.JPG

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Soldiers with 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment speak to Iraqi citizens in Baqubah, Iraq, March 31, 2007, during a joint operation with Iraqi police officers. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)
070331-F-7234P-133.JPG

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Soldiers with 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment use smoke to cover their movements during a joint operation with Iraqi police officers in Baqubah, Iraq, March 31, 2007. The purpose of the operation is to clear houses and palm groves of ins urgents near the Diyala River. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)
CROWS and Boomerang on this Humvee, I think:

iedsearchmg5.jpg

HIGH-RES

Sgts. Sean Bundy and Dennis First search for IEDs near Al Muradia village, Iraq, March 12. The Soldiers are from the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division. The smoke is from a controlled IED detonation. Photo by Air Force Master Sgt. Andy Dunaway

070329-A-4520N-106.JPG

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Sgt. Patrick Oglesbee, both from 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division, provides security during a search for weapons caches in Baghdad, Iraq, March 29, 2007. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Tierney P. Nowland)
070329-A-4520N-119.JPG

U.S. Army Cpl. Gerard Mennitto, from 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division, attempts to kick in a door during a search for weapons caches in Baghdad, Iraq, March 29, 2007. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Tierney P. Nowland)
What's up with the uniform here?

070329-A-4520N-065.JPG

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Sgt. Kenny Baynes, from 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division, pulls security while his fellow soldiers look around the area for weapons caches in Baghdad, Iraq, March 29, 2007. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Tierney P. Nowland )
Veronica. ;)

070329-A-4520N-081.JPG

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Spc. Jay Kilpatrick, right, and Sgt. Patrick Oglesbee, provide security for their fellow soldiers while they take a quick break in the shade during a search for weapons caches in Baghdad, Iraq, on March 29, 2007. Kilpatrick and Oglesbee are as signed to the 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division. DoD photo by Sgt. Tierney P. Nowland, U.S. Army.
070330-F-7234P-121.JPG

HIGH-RES

A U.S. Army Soldier walks through a palm grove in Baqubah, Iraq, March 30, 2007, during a joint patrol with Iraqi army soldiers from 2nd Battalion, 2nd Brigade, 5th Iraqi Army Division. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Stacy L. Pearsall)
070326-N-6077T-004.JPG

HIGH-RES

U.S. Army Pfc. Jonathan Read, from 1st Battalion, 27th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division, prepares an M1126 Stryker Infantry Carrier Vehicle for transport March 26, 2007, at Rodriguez Range, South Korea, during exercise R eception, Staging, Onward movement, and Integration/Foal Eagle 2007. The exercise is an annual joint/combined field training exercise to demonstrate support of the Republic of Korea (ROK) against external aggression. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communicati on Specialist Chief Kevin H. Tierney)

[ April 05, 2007, 07:47 PM: Message edited by: akd ]

Great high res pictures. I especially like the M14 (which is much in demand with troops in Iraq and Afghanistan) and Veronica. smile.gif

In regards to the attack on our troops in Diyala on the first page of this thread. Many of those IED bombs that are killing our soldiers are made by Iran and given to various terrorist groups in Iraq to attack us with. Iran is effectively at war with us and we're doing almost nothing about it. We should be crushing Iran with round-the-clock bombing until they stop all this garbage (and give up all efforts to make a nuclear bomb). Bush should order the attack on them immediately, what in the world is he waiting for??