M3A3 Bradley dont reload TOW2 Tubes

I read about it some day but as far as i know those TOW2 Tubes should be reloadable. What is the Reason why they dont?

My Bradley got 10Missles in Store the Launchers are Green and working but they dont reload it. What am i doing wrong? Is it a Bug or a Feature?

Hi All,

As chance would have it I was reading about this the other day. This is a quote that pretty much sums up what I read from a few sources.

"When facing heavier enemy armor the Bradley relies on the TOW Anti-Tank Missile, manufactured by the Hughes Aircraft. Launched from a smooth tube launcher, the missile’s wings and tail fins are folded inside its body until launch. Two of these missiles are carried ready to fire in a collapsible, armored launch rack on the left of the turret. The Bradley must stop in order to fire these missiles, which are them reloaded by the Infantrymen in the back of the vehicle, using a special hatch which provides armor protection during the reload operation. The missile is equipped with a massive shaped charge, high explosive warhead and is propelled by a two-stage solid propellant motor. The range of the TOW missile is nearly 4 kilometers and the missile will reach a speed of almost Mach 1 on its way to the target. This weapon is capable of destroying any armored vehicle in existence today and is deadly accurate."

Regards John

The Bradley must stop in order to fire these missiles, which are them reloaded by the Infantrymen in the back of the vehicle, using a special hatch...
Perhaps in the game you need to have a couple of troops riding in the back of the Bradley, and possibly unbuttoned, in order to reload?

Hi All,

The ammo listing seems to indicate only 2 loaded Tows are available.

For me it cleared up my question of the Brad not firing TOWs on armour. I usually try to do this while moving.

I shall try now with the Brad stationary.

Regards John

Originally posted by The Louch:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />The Bradley must stop in order to fire these missiles, which are them reloaded by the Infantrymen in the back of the vehicle, using a special hatch...

Perhaps in the game you need to have a couple of troops riding in the back of the Bradley, and possibly unbuttoned, in order to reload? </font>

Originally posted by Taki:

My Bradley got 10Missles in Store the Launchers are Green and working but they dont reload it. What am i doing wrong? Is it a Bug or a Feature? [/QB]

Here's an ammo load in a Full-Supply Excellent-Equipment M2A3:

m2a3tw9.jpg

I honestly fail to see how you got the impression that there's 10 TOWs on board. All I'm seeing it "TOW-2 T-HEAT - 2", and those are the ones currently loaded in the tubes, once they are fired off there aren't any more.

...well here's your problem! tongue.gif

The reloading of TOW's only takes place between scenarios. The reserve supply (grey ammo) of TOW's takes place during the campaign.

The thought was that having to stop and basically disable your BFV was not worth the effort. If you were to need that many TOW's you would have other Anti Armor assets to assist. ie. M1's, Air, TOW Stryker

I championed several campaigns to get reloads and the mount animation added but no go.

Yes there where 10TOW2 Rockets Stored in Gray somewhere on that Status Screen. I wondered why they didnt Reload. Now i know why. But thats no good. Why not stay 5 Minutes in the Same place and Unbuttoned and then Infantry in the Vec will reload that Tube?

And why are those Bradleys always fire both of the Tubes so fast together on Buildings? No need to.

There are several issues with Bradley (either variant) at the moment.

Position of the TOW mounting while moving (its currently always depicted in the launch position which it only goes to as part of the firing sequence).

Lack of reloads (as mentioned earlier they currently only reload between scenarios)

Lack of reload sequence/animation

There are real life limitations on reloading too (such as needing to be on level ground, etc.) and it may well have been thought that it was better to just leave it out rather than have to explain to people why their Bradley wouldn’t reload whilst on a steep slope or whatever.

Being on a slope wouldn't really effect the reloading procedure unless the slope was enough for the vehicle to roll over. If the degree of slope is, however, greater than 10 deg (IRRC), then that will prevent the missile from firing.

Reloading tubes into the launcher is not that complicated of a procedure. The turret needs to be traversed to about 11 o'clock, the launcher needs to be erected and elevated. The boys in the back pop the cargo hatch to open-protected, remove the spent tube, prepare a new tube, and then ram it home. It should only take a few minutes.

While the cargo hatch does need to be opened partially, nobody is really exposed. The biggest vulnerability is that the gunner can't scan during the reload procedure.

Originally posted by c3k:

Are there any actual soldiers who have reloaded the Bradley's TOW here? If so, how long did it take and under what conditions was it done?

Regards,

Ken

I have in Desert Storm. In the excitement of our first time in combat, it took about 2 minutes for each tube. Most of that time is spent trying to maneuver the round from its storage point, then through the hatch to the backside of the launcher. Actually putting the round in takes no time at all, just slam it home and lock the lever.This was in M2A2s.