Why T72M1's crew ALWAYS choose HE to shoot FIRST?

I agree, Syrian armor makes really bad first round choices.

For frontal shots even APFSDS isn't going to make a difference but I'm betting the lucky shot (the more vulnerable inverted T area beneath the barrel) is more susceptible to sabots than HEAT. I know in side and rear shots HEAT will often kill the M1 but the APFSDS should really be the only round Syrian tank crews fire at the Abrams.

not just first round, they kepp using HE vs. most tanks
i had 3 T72 turms shooting up 5 or 6 bradles yesterday with 8HE/2HEAT out of 10 fired. was a QB.

EDIT:

i played quiet some tank engagements on RED side now, i NEVER ever saw reportedly a RED tank using his APFSDS rounds, not a single one.

Originally posted by Pandur:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> not just first round, they kepp using HE vs. most tanks

i had 3 T72 turms shooting up 5 or 6 bradles yesterday with 8HE/2HEAT out of 10 fired. was a QB.

EDIT:

i played quiet some tank engagements on RED side now, i NEVER ever saw reportedly a RED tank using his APFSDS rounds, not a single one. </font>

• 2 weeks later...

After playing 'Allah's fist'I actually had more success with the T-62s I scored two frontal kills of M1s at long range (one shot kills) with these outdated tanks. The T-72s were quite hopeless unless firing from the side. Although sometimes all tanks had the strange behaviour of not wanting to fire at all even when they had a clear shot at sides or even rear of the M1s at close range?

It is actually SOP for most Soviet-style armies to have HE loaded into the gun while traveling. The autoloader cannot "unload", so the quickest way to get AP is to fire off the HE round.

However, obviously this SOP while traveling with no specific threat in mind would get modified if you are standing in am ambush awaiting enemy armor.