personal body armor

I also recently read something about the UK looking at a diesel electric option, with the main engine feeding power to eight electric motors one at each wheel.

Apparently like US trucks that use a similiar system, if gives better economy, is more reliable and better off road performance.

I am not sure if that if for the "Boxer" or for a later version or an alternative.

Peter.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The US fooled around with a hybrid Humvee a number of years ago. Each wheel had a pancake electric motor, which allowed the vehicle to do zero radius turns. Reduced heat signature, nearly silent running, lower maintainence, etc. Problem is that the weight of the batteries and motors made the vehicle tactically impractical from all but a light recon mission. Operational range was also an issue. Apparently they have started looking at it again.

Steve

The diesel electric idea gets round the battery problem, as the are too heavy and fuel cells to expense so far.

However a big weight saving with the system is that you don't need a transmission or drive shafts, which are not only heavy but a bugger to repair in the field.

Looking to the future their are two technologies that although still very much in the lab could combine to radically change things.

Growing organic crystals that act like silicone for chips is progressing slowly, but we already have some types of plastic chip and plastic VDU screens.

Of more importance is the growing effectiveness of plastic batteries, layered polymers that can store a charge.

The second line of technology is plastic armour, making vehicles out of the likes of Kevlar as opposed to aluminium or steel.

If (and as of now it's a big if) you can bring these two technologies together then you get an APC, with light weight plastic armour which is also the vehicles power source.

This means not only do you save weight, but space too as you don't have the engine, which gives you more options on internal layout.

It also greatly reduces the risk from fire, and if you read my post a while back on the subject is well suited to integrate, electric armour. Iam not sure if a plastic armour APC, would be any more bouyant than a conventional one.

I had always though that this would be a good basis for vehicles in a near future CM:SLoD.

Peter.

slightly off topic, but while surfing the net looking for Vietnam stuff, I came across these photos:

fire6a.jpgfire6g.jpg

Marines fighting in Hue, february 1968, which was pure urban fighting.

fire6b.jpg

Marine in the trenches at Con Thien, september 1967.

You will notice that even back then, U.S. forces went into battle with personal body armour, in this case flak vests.

The name was generalized from the bomber crews who started wearing them latter in the war. Like M1 says, body armor was ment to stop fragments which is what you got from flak. Till recently actual bulletproof vests were way to heavy for everyday use.

[ November 05, 2005, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: sgtgoody (esq) ]

Originally posted by M1A1TankCommander:

Flak jackets protect against flying shrapnell, wood and metal splinters.

I've worn one so I know their function very well. ;) But in Finnish we call them "shrapnel vests", which made me curious about the English language designation. Thanks for the answers.

Originally posted by panzerwerfer42:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by M1A1TankCommander:

Flak jackets protect against flying shrapnell, wood and metal splinters. It has nothing to do with being on a bomber crew

Troops only recently started wearing bulletproof armor

Flak jackets actually did originate in WWII as fragmentation protection for bomber crews. </font>