IEDs are fun!!

Originally posted by M1A1TankCommander:

I know dude, plus I had 2 friends killed by an IED in RL...

I know how you feel, our companies very first patrol outside the wire an IED killed three and wounded four. We learned and never let that happen again.

The first time I hit one (in my own scenario) it was a medium sized one, not the Big Mutha that M1A1TankCommander hit. Mine holed out a big crater and for a while I didn't know who got hit because of all the dust. I saw the draded Red Crosses peeking through the dust, so I knew that wasn't good. But it was "cool" from a game standpoint and it really did make me jump, just like Sergei said. Fortunately for me, it ws detonated a little poorly and resulted in a badly damaged Stryker and two casualties in back (the Air Guards).

I've got to agree with M1A1TankCommander. The IDEs going of is one of the things that I like the least in the game if I stop and think about it. I watch the rollcalls of the week's dead (end of a particular show they do that) every so often and I understand that probably 8 out of 10 were killed by an IED. Simply put, IEDs are in CM:SF because they have to be, not because they are cool. Yet when one goes off... well, I'm American afterall. It's in my genes to love things that go BOOM :(

Steve

Originally posted by rudel.dietrich:

I dont really understand the bad karma that surrounds IEDs

To me they are in the exact same class as land mines

They're not in the same class because IED's, for the most part, are command detonated.

You can't just conduct a breach of an IED "field" as it might blow up in your face.

An IED can be emplaced on a very busy street, with thousands of civilians passing by, then be detonated the moment a patrol is near. Different then a minefield which will blow when anything trips it.

Also, the amount of explosives in an IED can be much, much greater then the largest single mine.

My bro used to drive a Buffalo in Iraq that seeks out IEDs along the roads. I saw some videos of them and they are pretty nasty. The simple fact that most of them are triggered by what appears to be civilians makes them much nastier than land mines that are triggered by a mechanical device.

I was amazed by all the gadgets the army uses to detect IED's. I was hoping to play around with some of those in CMSF, but I guess it would be overkill considering that IEDs are a pretty minor part of CMSF. It still puts a big grin on my face every time I find one in the game.

I haven't had much luck at all spotting in-game IEDs, I'm not entirely sure it can be done! BUT I've had better luck spotting the trigger man. You spot a lone 'question mark' all by himself hiding within LOS of a road junction. That's something worth expending some ammunition on! Without the trigger man the IED's just a doorstop.