*MOD* Iraqi Police

Hm. I supported one of the missions that trained one of the first SWAT teams, they were responsible for the Al-Hillah AOR.

Too bad we can't write scripts for them to sporadically fail to show up for a mission, show up missing equipment, betray details of the mission which results in people getting killed, or any number of mishaps.

I dunno about anyone else, but I got tired of scrapping dead IPs out of alleyways and basements.

Originally posted by M1A1TC:

They are Iraqi National Police SWAT units, which replace CMSF Special Forces textures. The other Iraqi Police are regular urban police units, which replace CMSF Combatant textures.

You could for example create a scenario where Iraqi SWAT and regular police units with US Army support fight Iraqi Insurgents (CMSF fighters)

Some of my inspiration photos

_44304335_real-policeafp416.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

18650232-18650234-large.jpg

Wow that one in the middle looks familiar ;) There are some pretty good shots of INP in my OIF 07-09 album

If you need higher res let me know, I can email them to you. There are tiny Iraqi flags in their digi cam, it would be cool if you could work those in.

DSC00295.jpg

Ft. Stewart or Benning? Back then 24th was at Stewart, I was with them when 24th switched from M113s to Bradleys. They switched my Battalion from 2/21 INF to 2/7 INF.

I'm an MP with the Michigan NG now, got back from Baghdad last fall.

Wow, M1A1TC, this is excellent work!

I'm still working -- slowwwwly, owing to RL constraints -- on my monster map of downtown Ramadi. Figure it should be ready around the time the Marines module comes out. These mods will come in handy!

BTW, anyone on this board spend any time in lovely Ramadi? If so, can you tell me where the souk (marketplace) is located relative to the Government Centre? Does the main market street intersect route Michigan (i.e. run north-south)? About how many blocks does it cover?

My best guess is that it's northeast of the GC, the other side of Route Michigan a couple blocks west of the "Gay Palace" high rise. Google and Liveleak/Youtube has provided no joy. Thanks in advance....

M1A1TC,

Fantastic, but I simply must ask (switches to Arabic)...."Technical 2020, where are you?"

That reminds me of something I heard while monitoring the Carson Sheriff's net as radio dispatcher for the campus police during my college days. There were several calls to one patrol car by the squad commander. Around the third, by this time irate, call, the offending unit, which had been searched for and wasn't in its assigned zone, reported in, and with the mike open, you could clearly hear the sounds of a female and rustling of clothes being frantically donned. The coed patrol team was apparently in flagrante getting to know one another better!

LongLeftFlank,

I think my brother spent some time there. Will be talking to him in the next few days and will ask if I remember.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ May 27, 2008, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

LongLeftFlank,

Found some pics of the souk, but don't yet know where it is in relation to what you described.

Slide show

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/audio_video/photo_galleries/article2361856.ece

Ramadi footage 1st of the 506th PIR

Patrol and firefights (BoB in Ramadi)

This is fun and gave me a terrific idea on how to help you.

Meanwhile, the vid's creators become Internet phenoms.

Tried MapQuest, per the vid. I think it's being blocked, seeing as how the troops there apparently use it. Closest I got was level 9.

http://europe.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&country=IQ&addtohistory=&city=ramadi

Good photo series here, maybe help you orient?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/05/world/middleeast/05ramadi.html?fta=y

Some serious field of fire clearance has occurred around the Government Center--8 blocks worth!

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=38831&archive=true

Never say die! This should solve your problem.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iraq/ar-ramadi-map.htm

Zoomable satellite map. Souk, souk, where's the souk?

http://www.maplandia.com/iraq/al-anbar/ar-ramadi/

Clear satellite map (1 meter resolution), complete with scale

http://cryptome.org/ramadi-sat.htm

Regards,

John Kettler

[ May 27, 2008, 02:22 AM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

You can also dive right into Ar Ramadi on unique 3D satellite map by Google Earth. And last but not least you will find Ar Ramadi and Iraq travel services offer including cheap flights, cheap hotels and other accommodation deals at the bottom of this page.
Was my favorite part of one of your links, Kettler.

Oh yeah, there's even a Ramadi business center in the works.

Thanks, John. I've already been through most of these video sites and slideshows and took several hundred stills and screenshots that together with Google Earth have given me a pretty good idea of the street plan and the height and configuration of the buildings. I'm even starting to recognize some of the buildings in UAV footage as they get JDAMed.....

It indeed turns out the Souk is just north of the Fatemat Mosque and west of the "Gay Palace" (that's what the Marines called that building while shooting the crap out of it along with every other building around the GC and MSR Michigan). I found a video last night that shows it pretty clearly.

I'm now trying to get an idea of the layout around the July 17th Street outpost just northwest of the GC. There's a couple of mosques (aka sniper nests) and high rise apartments up that way that saw some pretty heavy action.

It will be a great pleasure. I'm also trying to upgrade my shopfront mod, which is an essential element of the map.

If anyone out there can figure out how to turn one of the bus shelters into a shop stall or at least a colorful awning, you will be my personal hero. So far I have been stumped.

M1A1TC, it looks like your former outfit, 2/69, got pretty busy in Ramadi in 2005-2006.

Combatintman: I remember that incident with the English troops being taken hostage by those terrorists. The Brits didn't put up with that garbage for 1 minute, they showed up with some serious armor and smashed the place up. Making it very clear what was going to happen if they didn't hand those soldiers over right now.

It was so funny watching that on television. I was cheering you lads on all the way, well done! haha smile.gif

LongLeftFlank,

You're welcome! I didn't try to attack the height issue, but I hope I've contributed to the street plan side of things at least. Took some serious digging, but you can do all sorts of things with what I found, to include the good shots of the souk stalls. Shall be most interested to see what comes out of this. Please post screenshots when you have some.

Cool breeze,

It was a slog for a time, but I eventually hit paydirt.

Clavicula_Nox,

That's the trouble with generic captioning. Tends to fall apart when confronted with awkward specifics!

Regards,

John Kettler

• 3 months later...

M1A1TC: I'm sorry to hear that. :( We certainly appreciate the sacrifices our troops make in Afghanistan and Iraq. I'm so glad to see that attacks on our troops have gone down to almost nothing in many areas in Iraq over the last year, so we now have very few losses taking place on average per month. I look forward to them coming back home victorious soon. :)

• 11 years later...