Instant replay in RealTime mode >> Opinions?

LRC

An issue with RealTime mode, is that it is easy to miss action happening on the other side of the map. A "Pause+30seconds Instant replay" would definitely help (this would be a passive Replay without possibility to change events/orders of the past 30 seconds).

Any opinion about the need and/or use of this type of capability ?

In the same line of thought, an "out of sight action" warning message would be useful.

Yeah Adam, you're right about that, and that reminds me of another one to put in your list.

If they can't do replay, at minimum they should somehow give players some kind of cue when something critical happens. You know, crew members yelling "****! RPG!" or "Missile! Missile! Missile!" or "Medevac, we've got a gunshot injury!" Should be easy enough to program, it's just more .wav files tied to simple game cues. Because as it is, stuff happens and you have no friggen' idea what, and even though most of your command is left alive all you have for feedback is an enemy marker somewhere. It would increase immersion too.

Once replay is in the RT mode, WEGO is history.

Even Steve has mentioned that this is the one thing he misses when playing RT.

It's actually the only one to be missed from WEGO.

But is probably not easy to do, if at all possible!

A real shame since it would enhance the experience enormously.

The sound cues that Bigduke6 mentioned are an interesting idea IMO.

--

Originally posted by Bigduke6:

Yeah Adam, you're right about that, and that reminds me of another one to put in your list.

If they can't do replay, at minimum they should somehow give players some kind of cue when something critical happens. You know, crew members yelling "****! RPG!" or "Missile! Missile! Missile!" or "Medevac, we've got a gunshot injury!" Should be easy enough to program, it's just more .wav files tied to simple game cues. Because as it is, stuff happens and you have no friggen' idea what, and even though most of your command is left alive all you have for feedback is an enemy marker somewhere. It would increase immersion too.

I like that idea, so now the next question is, when that happens it should take you to that location automatically. Or hell how about a big fat red arrow pointing at that location and it is flashing

A clickable event list somewhere in the UI would be very useful - think Close Combat.

Pretty often I'll find the little red bodies of my troops and not have any idea how it happened - especially in the larger scenarios where I have to watch two locations which are not close to eachother. It would be nice to be able to jump to the site of a casualty quickly, even if you couldn't rewind.

Originally posted by JohnO:

molotov_billy, not to argue but why have another clickfest issue when all you may need is a big fat red arrow pointing at that location and it is flashing for about, lets say, two to three minutes then it goes away.

a picture of Las Vegas comes to mind! :D

--

Originally posted by JohnO:

molotov_billy, not to argue but why have another clickfest issue when all you may need is a big fat red arrow pointing at that location and it is flashing for about, lets say, two to three minutes then it goes away.

I'm sure there are trade-offs in either system. The only reason I mention it is because I've seen it in a couple of games and it seems to work really well. It can be used for a number of things - reinforcements arriving, notifiers for when support assets beging firing, when a unit runs out of ammo, etc.

The red arrow thing may work just as well, or better. It's just a matter of putting it in a testing it out, tweaking until it's right. The only negative I can think of off the top of my head is that you'd have to be looking in the direction of the event to see it.

Don't get me wrong I still say that there should be an announcement either sound, which I prefer, or large enough words to alert you and the game will automatically take you to the issue with an arrow flashing or not flashing, showing the location, especially when there is smoke and night time battles. Just an idea.

Originally posted by Webwing:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JohnO:

a picture of Las Vegas comes to mind! :D

-- </font>

We would love to have a running 30 second, or even 20 second, replay ability. It is definitely on our list. The problem is I/O with the harddrive causes a major slowdown. At the moment we think the only way to achieve a playback is to have two machines running, one of which is a "recorder". It could, in theory, record the whole game if there was enough harddrive space. Since this would involve a significant amount of programming, and would be used by only a few people, we have decided to shelve the idea for awhile and come back to it.

Steve

I could not agree more.

This is not unreasonable request with respect to the desire for more user feedback from the game in an easy way to understand, (audio or something flashing or blinking or something) in RealTime play.

A good point to be sure.

i really ask myself why noone playes WeGo when he wants a replay.

easy as throwing stones, no resouces must be wasted to get it in.

and how should that realtime replay work in multiplayer, wich is the important part here i guess!? 2 players replaying something at different times in mid of their realtime battle!?

weird...

id say better get TCPip WeGo in ;)

thanks

Steve,

No need to I/O to the hard drive. Just a dump file in the RAM would do the the job. A 5seconds sampling would limit load on CPU and file size. On top of that, basic abstracted data (x:y:orientation of unit, visible or icon info, firing, moving, hiding info) would take very little space.

A possible comprimise would be to give the player options for a reduced time WEGO, say 30 seconds instead of a minute. You still don't have the instant control of RT but alot of people prefer RT because 60 seconds is too long to leave troops unattended in the modern battlefield.

Only problem is the extra turn button clicking could get monotonous.