Camera controls driving me insane!

So far one enormous sore thumb sticks out to me. The camera controls. I'm not referring to the actual camera interface, which I'm sure I'll get down once I'm used to it, but how it "moves". The arrow keys for instance, seem to take a second to respond and then slowly "speed up" and gain inertia which seems to make it take longer to "stop" the camera. This is incredibly annoying. Please for the love of god, in the next patch, make it so the camera reacts instantly to the arrow keys and STOPS right away when you switch arrow key directions.

Keyboard is designed for more delicate placement, not for general camera maneuver. Once you get the hang of it you'll find that you want to use the keyboard to shortcut issuing Commands and use the mouse for camera, targeting, and other things in the 3D area.

It takes some getting used to, we fully acknowledge, but ask the testers... once they learned it they realized we did the right thing. And getting testers to come forth with a statement like that is really rare, since they generally hate not having something to gripe about. Hey, they are wargamers first and testers second after all :D

Steve

Be aware that you can also hold the left and right mouse buttons while moving the mouse and you will find you can get much more precise control. I couldnt get used to the keyboard camera controls either and then one night I remembered to try the mouse and mouse button system and now its much easier and reponsive for me than it ever was before.

Thats not to say we won't try and make it better though in future patches.

Madmatt

I don't like the feel of the keyboard controls at any level, even for fine tuning.

However, I am learning to love moving the camera with the mouse!

For me, one irksome thing is that the camera speed is too slow at higher elevations and tow fast at the lower elevations, with mouse or keyboard. I would think it should be the opposite.