Prince Harry in Afghanistan

I just heard the news today that Prince Harry, 3rd in line to the throne of England, has been serving on the frontline in Afghanistan for the last 2 and a half months, carrying out a number of duties including acting as a Forward Observer.

Unfortunately it looks like his tour will come to a premature end now as his cover was blown by some American journalist. How dumb can you get!

Anyway, I'd just like to say "Well done Harry, you've made us proud". How likely would it be to see a senior US congressman's or even the President's kids in a war zone?

Now before I get shouted at for being off-topic, can we have the Brits module for CM:SF as soon as possible please?

Patriotic rant over. smile.gif

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

Anyway, I'd just like to say "Well done Harry, you've made us proud". How likely would it be to see a senior US congressman's or even the President's kids in a war zone?

More likely than seeing the sons and daughters of the members of the House of Lords or Members of Parliament in a war zone.

Care to wager?

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

More likely than seeing the sons and daughters of the members of the House of Lords or Members of Parliament in a war zone.

Care to wager?

Er, I think I'll pass on that one. ;)

Anyway, I'm no big monarchist but I admire the kid for wanting to take the same risks as the men he trained with, and no doubt making sure a few arms were twisted to make sure he got his chance to serve.

I said he was a FO. Having read a few more reports it looks like he was a Forward Air Controller, the British equivalent of a JTAC.

Michael Moore if you listened carefully said no enlisted child of congressman was in Iraq.

It was one of those things that really aggravated me because he intentionally ignored any child who was a warrant officer or commissioned officer. Odds are a congressman's child will go to college and if they join the military they will be an officer.

The news embargo was broken, however, after reports of the prince's deployment were leaked by an Australian magazine and a German newspaper, and then reported on a U.S. Web site, the Drudge Report, so get the facts straight before blaming an American.

Hm, its very unlikely that he is a FAC or JTAC as he hasnt done the training. Its not a job they usually give to young Lts. More likely hes just been living in Observation posts and stuff.

At least hes doing something though and seems to be taking his military bit more seriously than his playing at soldiers brother.

Then again, he is the spare!

Originally posted by GSX:

At least hes doing something though and seems to be taking his military bit more seriously than his playing at soldiers brother.

Then again, he is the spare!

Just like his uncle, Prince Andrew, who flew helo’s off either HMS Invincible or HMS Hermes as a decoy for Argentinean exocets during the Falklands War.

Originally posted by GSX:

Hm, its very unlikely that he is a FAC or JTAC as he hasnt done the training. Its not a job they usually give to young Lts. More likely hes just been living in Observation posts and stuff.

McCain's son whereabouts in Iraq and combat role or non-role will not be revealed to the press. Sensibly enough, I think.

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

Anyway, I'm no big monarchist but I admire the kid for wanting to take the same risks as the men he trained with, and no doubt making sure a few arms were twisted to make sure he got his chance to serve.

Well, if you WERE more of a monarchist, you would have realized this is nothing new under the sun. Military service has always been a royal family tradition - peace or war. But I agree, it is definitely worthy of commemoration, in a Pat Tillman kind of way.

From one of our newspapers:

"He's also been personally involved in clashes with Taliban fighters, including a frontline fire-fight with the militants less than 500 metres from enemy positions.

Prince Harry's deployment makes him the first British royal to be sent on active military service in nearly 26 years, when his uncle, Prince Andrew, flew Royal Navy helicopters during the Falklands War with Argentina in 1982."

Originally posted by the Fighting Seabee:

No, tiny_tanker, I think he was supposed to go to Iraq but they wouldn't let him, saying it would be too much of a danger for all the Brits around him.

I think your right now that you mention it, but it was also due to it getting out in the press too. I was working with the Brits at the time and they seemed to welcome the idea of him coming.