Gosh....

Whether you like it or not, I'm expressing my opionion ( or am I taking a crap, I get confused sometimes):

I have played a marathon session and here is the emotional roller coaster:

1st scenario - wow that was awesome, this game rocks, this what I have been waiting for

2nd scenario - WTF, why did that M1 fly past its end waypoint the circle around to get back to it, exposing it big fat ass to a T72. This game sucks, I want to sell it, what was BFC thinking.

3rd scenario - wow that was awesome, this game rocks, this what I have been waiting for

4th scenrio - WTF, why can't stupid Stryker drive down a road straight. Why is it sitting there trading .50 rounds with a T72's 125mm. Why are my stupid guys walking down the middle of the street getting pummelled without seeking cover, why won't those, underpaid, untrained, crappy Syrian regulars retreat or surrender. This game sucks, I want to sell it, what was BFC thinking.

5th Scenario - wow that was awesome, this game rocks, this what I have been waiting for

and so on...

Ilove/hate this game.

I have gone from optimistically anxious, to skeptical, to giddy, to disappointed, to awestruck, to not knowing what to think, to somewhat concerned...in the space of 5 days. One of the things I am most concerned about is that if I go back and look at my complaints about TOW, they are similar to the ones I have for CMSF. It makes me feel guilty about still really liking CMSF.

[ July 31, 2007, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: thewood ]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try this

www.esimgames.com

I think this one is a real wargame though it comes at a price.

Further info

www.steelbeasts.com

I've noticed that some PC game developers lately have ommisioned testing from their development cycle most noticibly in Silent Hunter IV. Bad decision I must say as I believe most PC gamers are the sophisticated type.

can't comment on Shock Force as I don't have it now.

Speaking of Company of Heroes it has all the classics of thE RTS genre, but:

1) It generally looks better than CMSF

2) It runs better than CMSF

I'm still a bit stunned about this release. It does not seem that big quantum leap from CMx1 series. In fact in many areas quite the opposite at the moment!

I'm still a bit stunned about this release. It does not seem that big quantum leap from CMx1 series. In fact in many areas quite the opposite at the moment!

What's the use of the tank interior details? So that one can see them when camera goes through the vehicle? Or are there crew position cameras?

I'll be making a patch announcement soon. I just don't want to say too much too early. When I have a rough fix list and date for release I'll make it a sticky note at the top. Rest assured, we aren't going to do one of those month long "let's get everything into one patch" things. That's not how we do things :D

track

Someone posted the size of the CoH team, and it was... funny! They had more artists on that game than all of our development staff and testers combined. Programmers? It's one of those projects that has so many programmers that they have to give out really specific titles like "Small Button Programmer" and "That Thing That Twists Programmer". Even more, they had "Lead Small Button Programmer" :D I'm serious... that team was MASSIVE. I can take a guess at their budget and it is probably more than we have made off of all CMx1 games combined over 7 years. It had better sell well ;)

Also, one has to remember that CMx2 is probably doing 1000 more things than CoH is in terms of what is going on under the hood. Hit points and what not save a lot of CPU cycles and RAM.

Steve

I'm glad a patch isn't too far off. And I'll definitely keep CMSF on my harddrive and play it occasionally until then. It definitely has it's golden moments. Speaking of CoH, that game (although visually gorgeous) has never really struck a chord with me. Killing a tank in CMSF is much, much more satisfying than in CoH.

As for the team size, uh that's a dangerous argument. Do you know how many programmers they have on the SteelBeasts team? ;)

you've learnt a valuable lesson about the free market system and consumer decision making.
I suspect it will be Battlefront learning valuable lessons about the free market.

Also the idea that WEGO is as good in Combat Mission Sans Fun as in CM1 is laughable. There are several critical features missing, WEGO is just thrown in as an after thought.

Surely there are much more things to keep track on than in generalized RTS game. Not that I like the traditional RTS style gaming anyway (gathering resources, building stuff, manufacturing units).

To me the what I was expecting to find in CMSF was more immersion, but at the moment I'm more blown away with the venerable CMx1 games. To me they feel more like actually a battle raging around you.

I'll hold on and wait for the patches. The artillery part in the new game is very good.

I purchased CoH and it certainly looks good.

All I use it for now is making movies for me to watch. I just start a battle and let it run. Then watch the movie later as I do something else.

It is worth it just for that.

I hate the way the tanks in CoH drive right up to each other to fight it out. No ranged combat at all, so it is not really a proper war game, but fun none the less.

I originally purchased it just because it had no copy protection as that is something I support. It is the activation that is keeping me from purchasing this title at the moment as it is something I do not support. But I may change my mind someday.

Cheers MarkL

Originally posted by average:

I entirely agree DzrtFox's opinion is valid.

Red Devils, well, that is open to serious doubt.

Finally, I forgot, balding and 40 year old, although nothing wrong with going bald or being 40 per se.

Everyone can have their doubts on just an opinion, it's like wiping your ass.. did you get it all or do you need 1 more sheet? A sheet costs you mere 10ths of a cent to waste.. A game like this cost $50 and can't deliver as much as the sheet can, although it gives what the sheet taketh.

The parody of this whole new gaming system is that it can't decide what it wants to be, a RTS or a simulation or a wargame.. at this point in time it's a Bug fest and the ass kissing thread jumpers who damn anyone who makes a slight comment about the shortcomings of the deal, makes kiddie school playground fight pale in comparison.

There are glaring issues, anyone who says there are none, is not playing this game. I mean if they can't even spell the folder names right just what kind of QA went into the testing of the game mechanics prior to release? based on the AI deficiency and path finding posts.. not much. End of story.

Get it fixed or give me back my money and I leave.

I shouldn't have to wait weeks for the fix either, I paid to play the day it released, so if I can't have that, then I have the right to "whine", I PAID for it.

Originally posted by Patrocles:

Maybe he can swap his copy of CMSF with the reviewer at Eurogamer?

"Combat Mission: Shock Force is the ultimate tactical simulation, a flawless, bugless, gorgeous masterpiece that places lucky wargamers right in the middle of a highly credible fictional conflict between modern-day American and Syrian forces."

OMG, did you not read the whole review? The first part was a joke, based on his expectations of BF. Read the whole review, then look at the score (a 5 of 10) I think. In my class room that is a failing score!

Originally posted by Michael Withstand:

Try this

www.esimgames.com

I think this one is a real wargame though it comes at a price.

Shill!

Actually I did find one novel approach at esimgames...

Marketing Junk at esimgames

A release date is yet to be announced. It is eSim Games' intent to deliver a well-rounded product, and therefore a release date will not be announced before the work on SB Pro PE has been finished.

Sorry Steve, I couldn't resist! :D

Originally posted by RedDevil:

I shouldn't have to wait weeks for the fix either, I paid to play the day it released, so if I can't have that, then I have the right to "whine", I PAID for it.

Please, could someone ban this person? Patience is a virtue, but accepting that kind of attiude is already close to masochism.

I don't know how much from his barely 30 posts are nothing else than extremely stupid, destructive whining without showing any will and respect to the efforts already taken.

I don't know who owns Silent Hunter 4 here, but let me tell you that Shock Force is WAY better than SH4 when it came out. Those of you who visit the official SH4 forums (on Ubisoft website) will turn green if they see the amount of bugs that are still present. If you are familiar with the SH4 forums, I am known as "krazyfrenchman", and I know what I am talking about. I was the instigator of the call-in initiative to "convey" Ubisoft in patching the game "one more time" (being the lastly released patch v1.3). And yet, we still have major issues...

Originally posted by Steiner14:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RedDevil:

Please, could someone ban this person? Patience is a virtue, but accepting that kind of attiude is already close to masochism.

I don't know how much from his barely 30 posts are nothing else than extremely stupid, destructive whining without showing any will and respect to the efforts already taken. </font>

Originally posted by Steiner14:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RedDevil:

I don't know how much from his barely 30 posts are nothing else than extremely stupid, destructive whining without showing any will and respect to the efforts already taken. </font>

Originally posted by thewood:

Why are my stupid guys walking down the middle of the street getting pummelled without seeking cover

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Looks like the "hate" part is going to suffer a nosebleed with the v1.02 patch :D

Sweet Lord. Are you referring inclusively to the quoted behavior when you say the 1.02 patch is going to kill the hate?

Because, then, I am SERIOUSLY excited. Awesome.

*crosses fingers* *prepares for shouts of "sweetness!"*