The Peng Challenge Thread as a self serving CMSF Module

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the heat mainly. We wore the Individual Body Armor every time we went out the gate, and within 15 minutes, you could feel the sweat running down your rib cage. Sometimes, we would drink, on a 4 hour mission, 8-12 1/2 liter bottles of water per soldier in my truck, and we wouldn't have to piss once because we just sweat it all out.

I remember looking at the face of a father, an Iraqi man, that was driving his family in some kind of blue van. He was driving like a bat out of hell towards the back of our convoy, and he ignored our signals to stop, must not of noticed us. We were reluctant to let Iraqi civilians too close to our convoys because of suicide bombers. I remember the look on his face as I pointed my M-4 at his windshield, and the squeal of his brakes as he slid to a stop about 75 meters behind my truck, about 5 meters from where we would of opened fire.

We didn't really get the stand up fights like Nidan1 is talking about. Just IED's going off with no bad guys in sight, or an AK mag emptied at your truck from behind a berm at night while you are going 50 MPH. It could get pretty frustrating.

One thing that always struck me as surreal was being out on a mission, in Iraq, with IED's going off, and donkey's being hit by semi trucks and thrown onto the hood of your HMMWV, and an hour later, I would be back in camp, showered, on the internet chatting with my wife or reading the MBT.

[ March 07, 2007, 04:05 AM: Message edited by: NG cavscout ]

Originally posted by NG cavscout: One thing that always struck me as surreal was being out on a mission, in Iraq, with IED's going off, and donkey's being hit by semi trucks and thrown onto the hood of your HMMWV, and an hour later, I would be back in camp, showered, on the internet chatting with my wife or reading the MBT.
That amazes me about the current situation. I know it was over 40 years ago for me, but the technology has advanced so much that you guys could experience what you describe. We were completely isolated in a totally alien environment, I suspect the guys in Korea and WWII felt the same way. The only contact we had with home was through the mail, which took days to send and receive, that and Armed Forces Radio. Most of the time we were in places with no civilization at all. I don't know how I would react to your experiences NG cavscout , it would be very strange for me....but I guess if you are surrounded by the technology you get used to it, even if you are halfway around the world.

Originally posted by Nidan1:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by NG cavscout: One thing that always struck me as surreal was being out on a mission, in Iraq, with IED's going off, and donkey's being hit by semi trucks and thrown onto the hood of your HMMWV, and an hour later, I would be back in camp, showered, on the internet chatting with my wife or reading the MBT.

That amazes me about the current situation. I know it was over 40 years ago for me, but the technology has advanced so much that you guys could experience what you describe. We were completely isolated in a totally alien environment, I suspect the guys in Korea and WWII felt the same way. The only contact we had with home was through the mail, which took days to send and receive, that and Armed Forces Radio. Most of the time we were in places with no civilization at all. I don't know how I would react to your experiences NG cavscout , it would be very strange for me....but I guess if you are surrounded by the technology you get used to it, even if you are halfway around the world. </font>

When we got to the village where Bravo was engaged we were forced to cross about 200 yards of open dry rice paddy to get from the island we were on to the next one on Bravo's left side. You have to picture several, I call them islands, of huts and bamboo walls seperated by a "sea" of dry rice paddy, with dykes walling off the sections of paddy which would flood during the rainy season. By all appearances these villages were properous and had large rice crops based on the size of the paddy areas. Coconut, plantain and banana palms stood in groves along side the houses.

As we started crossing the paddy we came under sporadic small arms fire, nothing major just pot shots, probably a rear guard or flank protector, who was now warning his comrades that more Marines were approaching from a new direction. one of the squad grunts, a short gruff lance coporal, I cant remember his name now dammit, all of a sudden dropped right in front of me, he was on his back, but obviously awake and aware and not complaining too much. A bullet had gone under the lip of his helmet on the left side, zipped along the inside edge along the back and exited out the front on the right side. He had a red line along his temple just above the ear, where the bullet had grazed his head. An inch more to the left, bingo a skull shot, an inch or two the right it hits me in the right chest....certainly war is more a game of inches than football. This guy now became a lucky charm, and from this day on everyone in the platoon asked his advice and would want to touch him whenever things got tough. Grunts are a superstitious lot, this guy would live forever because he was touched by the beast, and marked for all to see, he was a human rabbit's foot, and we were lucky to have him.

[ March 07, 2007, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Nidan1 ]

Out of what orifice?
The bottle neck, to be truthful. We'd instructed the woman in the back seat to kick the fifth of Bacardi Silver (80 proof; which we'd just cracked open and was missing very little) under the driver's seat. At this she was inept. The officer spied the Bacardi with his flashlight, and after many radio consultations with "home Base," decided to merely make us pour it out, since little was gone and we had clean records. It so happens that this was all following attendance to a Frank Zappa concert, prior to which my buddy and I had drank a fifth of Bacardi 151. I did the classic Frat trick of purging prior to the concert (killed some shrubberies, I did). However, I merely remember a small man in a white suit playing some wicked tunes, and then the parking, and then the inspection by copdom.

After I poured the Bacardi silver onto the asphalt, the Ociffer told my friend to dispose of the bottle. Weaving to and fro, he took the empty bottle and chucked it by it's neck towards a garbage barrel about 25 feet away. Pure silence, and I could swear I could hear the whistle of the wind as it sailed neck over bottom to rotate through the air and make a direct slam-dunk into the garbage can. The policeman looked carefully at my friend and said "you're lucky that went in."

We were about 18 years old. Quite a bit different from the Nam.

Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

He's YOUR Serf now instead of being Sir Sir 37mms Serf but HE'S STILL A FREAKING SERF.

You want to take him to Squire ... THEN DO SO! Make your case.

Joe

Dear gods...what did I ingest last night? Christ, I hope I wasn't posting, again. That almost never works out well. I'd get up and find a box knife to open the top of my head, if the thought of it didn't make me feel like the top would come off while the bottom dropped out of the other end...

Dammit, I think I did post. I remember some sort of exchange with the fecking Justicar...did I take on a Squire? Goddamn Joe and his endless pissing on about...something...anything...something?

rolls over in bed

Oh Dear God. I think I crawled into bed with Sturmy.

HEY! TAKE MY UNDERWEAR OFF YOUR HEAD, YOU FECKING BELGIAN BASTARD! DON'T MAKE ME GO ANN COULTER ON YOUR ASS!

Perhaps I could re-phrase that...

Originally posted by Leeo:

a police officer. He eventually made us drain rum onto the asphalt.

Surely he cannot legally do that!!!!

And if he can what kind of a screwed up country do you live in?

You should take up arms against your oppressor.

I am an annoying jester. And I began this Thread as a jest. But I have very much enjoyed the recent posts by Nidan and NG Cavscout.

Because this Thread has become much more to me than simply the means by which I might gain some sort of acceptance in the Combat Mission community by kicking sand at MrPeng.

For one thing, it's been fecking years since kicking sand at Peng has been novel. And because I've been here long enough to put 'gaining acceptance' into a proper perspective.

I have abused a great number of people, Peoples, places, countries, counties, States, States, things, concepts, ideologies, more people, and even some members of the Animal Kingdom.

And I do not plan to stop.

But what I enjoy the most, here, are the True things I am told.

I hate each and every one of you here in a manner so thorough, so intense, and so personal, that if I was not here to explain to you the nature of my hatred, it might be mistaken for love.

Tomorrow night I get to go over and play with my Small Friend Emma. Lately, she's been making me wear the annoying red hat, and three, count them THREE pairs of children's weird throw-away sunglasses. I have to force them onto my face. And even then, I have to wear them in a sort of tiered terrace effect.

I can barely see when I get them all thrust on to my face, so I have to move around very slowly. If I take one or more pairs off to see what the hell is going on, she looks at me and says 'Grandma Steve, please put on all the glasses'.

And when I do, she says 'That's good. You look very funny.'

Her dad walked by me the other day when I was trying to negotiate my way to the bathroom, and said 'Oh, sorry, Sir Elton. I didn't mean to bump in to you.'

Christ, I don't even look like the young Elton John. I look disturbingly like the Elderly Elton John.

Disturbingly.

We were actually based in Kuwait, about 1/2 mile south of the Iraq/Kuwait border, we would do our pre combat inspections in the base, roll out to the marshalling yards, pick up our convoys, and then cross the border into Iraq.

The Kuwaiti border guards liked to screw with us. Sometimes they would say some cars were stolen, or a girl was missing, and hold us up at the border while they searched the trailers of all 30 semis in the convoy and checked all the papers of the drivers. This would add about 2 hours to the mission. If it was just a "sustainment push", which was our bread and butter mission of pushing supplies up to the next base, it was 4 hours each way, with an hour or two at the target base, dropping off the full trucks and picking up empty ones to bring south. So, that was a standard 12-14 hour day, since it took an hour or two to get ready before the mission, and an hour or two to stand down after the mission, assuming no break downs, bombs, hijackings, attacks, or other mishaps during the mission itself. If the Kuwaiti guards wanted to screw with us, it then became about a 17 hour day, with another mission coming up the next day.

The drivers were always twitchy after the border inspections too. They are "Haji's" or "TCN's" (for Third Country Nationals) from all over, the Phillipines, Egypt, the Ukraine, Sudan, India, Pakistan, etc. They didn't like the Kuwaiti's, because they would arrest them for having Maxim pictures up in their trucks, and you don't want to be arrested for moral crimes in a Muslim nation. They could also lose their jobs and get sent home if they pissed off us, or the Kuwaiti's, and sending some Sudanian home to his family after costing him a 600 dollar a month job is pretty much the worst thing you could do to him besides shooting him.

These guys drove these trucks through 140 degree heat, with just 6 1 liter bottles of hot water, no AC, people shooting at them, their US guards screaming at them in a language they don't understand, maybe pointing guns at them, targeted by IED's. When they get to the base where they stay for the night, or the day, they get to sleep in their cabs and usually cook their own food. All for about 600 a month.

One night, in Safwan, an Iraqi border city/town/ruin, some Iraqi bandits tried to hijack a truck, but our QRF was on them before they could get it away, the hijacker pushed the Pakistani driver out of the cab, put an AK 47 round in the back of his head, and jumped in the get away car. The QRF truck couldn't fire them up because there were about 15 Iraqi kids running around the get away car.

It is like the wild west over there.

[ March 08, 2007, 04:35 AM: Message edited by: NG cavscout ]