Map and battle size limits?

Hi,

I know this has been asked many times before, and will no doubt be asked again, but what is the latest on maximum battle size and map size? I ask again because as beta testing rushes on it will be become clearer what these limits will be in the first version of CMX2.

Just a friendly request for the latest, best guess smile.gif .

(With Real Time I look forward to playing some very fast, tense smaller games but using WEGO will still enjoy some games that are as big as my system and CMX2 can cope with smile.gif )

All good fun,

All the best,

Kip.

You might want to read the new Shock Force website in greater deatail; from the "Features" section:

"Map sizes as tiny as 224mx224m up to a massive 16 square kilometers

Play large scale battles or small platoon sized firefights"

No word on what kind of computer will take to get a decent framerate on a "large scale" battle on a 4kmx4km map tho. . .

Cheers,

YD

We are not generally supporting map sizes that you guys are used to from CMx1 days. We've made that clear several times already, but of course it bears repeating. Generally maps will be 1500m in any one dimension. Remember that CM:SF is not a tank heavy game, so thinking in tank terms is incorrect. An Abrams would need 5k x 5k maps to fully exercise its range AND have some amount of room for maneuver. That is way outside of the range of technical abilities of today's computers. At least with the sort of highly detailed enviornments we have.

Steve - February 10, 2007

Yeah, 4k x 4k is huge. But unless it's pretty much devoid of terrain features, I don't think most people would be able to run it at a reasonable framerate. Everything in CMx2 adds significant polygons, unlike CMx1 where quite a lot of stuff was just 2D billboards. Trees, for example, are now fully 3D. Buildings aren't just four sides and a roof, but have 3D details such as individual windows, doors, balconies, and facade details. Etc., etc.

Steve

Hi,

Thanks to Steve and all for getting back to me…

I thought I had read the new website quite carefully but obviously not ;) .

Anyway… 4km x 4km is good, very good, big enough for a real battle smile.gif .

I am very relieved that such big maps are in as although PCs are not advancing at the rate they did in the ‘90s in a couple of years time PCs will no doubt be able to handle way bigger maps/battles than currently.

In fact by the time an Eastern Front version is released in a couple of years time, and I keep my fingers crossed that there will be an Eastern Front version; battles on the scale of CMBB should nearly be possible. A very good thing indeed smile.gif .

Thanks,

All the best,

Kip.

A super-duper size featureless map would come in handy for trying out max Abrams vs T72 engagement ranges, or perhaps Strykers versus long-range ATGMs. This sorta reminds me of the inclusion of the SturmTiger in CMBB - it'll be great fun to try out a couple times but I can't imagine it's going to be a regular feature of gameplay after the novelty has worn off. CMx1 has shown us a big map doesn't necessarily mean deep LOS, and an infantry-heavy game rather obliges the opponents to come within rifle range at some point.

Big battles sucks.

From what I have seen in my CM-time, most (not all!!) designers of big scenarios mix up quantity with quality. After a few turns everything is just a big mess! I won't even dare to imagine what kind of 'fun' it will be to command a battalion in real time mode!!!!

Just my 5 cents.

Remember 1:1 representation? A nine man squad that used to be represented by three men in CMx1 will appear triple that size. That means an on-map representation of 1/3rd of a Battalion in CMSF should appear about CMx1 Battalion size on-screen! That doen't sound too shabby. It'll be interesting to see how many 1:1 squads we'll be able to squeeze into a single small room in CMSF ;)