Command Queuing

OK, this is a bit subjective. But queuing isn't a good as it really should be for modern combat.

Some things I think are wrong regarding queuing:

The 'face' command behaves oddly and I can't figure out how the current behavior is better in comparison to the old 'rotate' command. For me, the 'face' command should queue onto the end of a movement order by default.

I can't figure out how the order a IFV movement to a waypoint, dismount infantry, and then move on to another waypoint. Is it not possible to properly queue infantry dismounts as part of a string of waypoints? Isn't this a reasonable expectation for mechanized infantry? Currently I have to wait until the IFV reaches the dismount point, manually dismount, then issue the next waypoint. It's frustrating when you end up wasting a whole turn because you couldn't judge how long it would take to drive 300m...

Along with queuing dismounts, can we not set a waypoint, create a 30 second pause at that waypoint, and then continue to another waypoint?

Yes, the order sequencing is one of the weakest design points in the game, and surprising, given the team's attention to detail in general. It should be possible also to copy and paste command sequences so that vehicle formations might be properly organised. ATM the AI is incapable of maintaining vehicle formations.

Valid points! If you want to face a unit after moving you have to leave the 'move mode' (right click), then select the last waypoint and then click the face command. I don't know why they changed that behaviour. It's much more cumbersome.

I don't think that unloading and pausing during a turn is possible (I'd be happy if someone prove me wrong).

Additionally, there should be an option to show all waypoints of all units, not just the one you have selected. Right now it needs a lot of clicking to give your units proper relative positions, like lining them up on a street.

No Metal, there is a way.

Give the IFV a move command to where you want it to go, and give the infantry a move command to where you want it to go. The IFV will move to the spot and thent he infantry will exit the vehicle and move to their spot.

Same behavior as in CMX1 series.

Rune

Originally posted by rune:

Give the IFV a move command to where you want it to go, and give the infantry a move command to where you want it to go. The IFV will move to the spot and thent he infantry will exit the vehicle and move to their spot.

Rune

I think you misunderstood metalbrew. He wants the IFV to move again, not the dismounted infantry. I too wish to be able to do this.

To further illustrate the issue:

In RTS mode you don't really have any problems because with a bit of micro-management you can order queue.

However in WeGo-mode you often loose a whole minute because of the inability to order-queue.

If I want my infantry for example to get a new Javelin from the Stryker I will have to embark them, let them get the Javelin and disembark again. You can't do that in one turn in WeGo mode while the whole process might be done in under a minute in RTS mode.

Loosing a whole minute just to make my infantry embark in the Stryker is not only a loss of effective time, but also quite annoying.

It'd be cool to be able to edit waypoints so that after setting the regular movement waypoints, you could then add special commands to each of them - like dismount infantry at Waypoint #2, hide at Waypoint #3.

It'd save a lot of time, and would be useful for adjusting existing commands after changed situations without having to plot a whole new series of commands every time.

Originally posted by rune:

Rune

Thanks rune, but you misunderstood what I'm asking. I mean I'd like to correct queue my Stryker to drive 300m, dismount the infantry at this spot, then drive 300m to the flank.

Literally, I want to queue my actions, not act in parallel.

There are a few things that really annoy me (especially playing in WEGO):

-Getting stuff from the Stryker for your infantry is quite easy in RT, but wastes a few turns (and thus minutes) in WEGO mode as you can't stack commands.

-The face order is executed before all other orders regardless. So you end up, for example, with a Stryker lining up to face a certain direction and then moving into position neglecting the face command in the end, eventhough you gave the move order first and the face order last.

EDIT: This can actually be prevented by clicking on the last waypoint and then issueing the face order. So it seems to be by design rather than a bug. A bit cumbersome, but still, it seems to work.

[ July 29, 2007, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: Yskonyn ]