quick wego question

I am a short on time person, so rather than search and wade through 5000 pages for the answer I was hoping one of you fine gents would give me the answers.

Does it look like WEGO will every be available for TCP?

If it's not going to be, that's a game killer.

Your answer will save me the time of learning this game.

the answer is mostly unknown

I think it is officially a maybe

but it is not a priority for the next patch, v1.03

is it important? Yes I think so,

Will it take a long time to code?

Probably.

Will it be worth the time and effort in direct $ from increased sales? :confused:

I suspect BFC believes that to be unlikely, but I think they are on record somewhere as saying something to the effect of "never say never, as long as someone else picks up the development costs"

(i.e. some military software gaming defense budget somewhere THAT really needs that functionality for training purposes....)

or something like that....

There is a WHOLE TCP/IP wego thread kicking around here somewhere.

[ August 17, 2007, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Originally posted by stikkypixie:

So because the computation is done differently it's a whole new style of playing?

No, WEGO has always been RT. You give orders, your opponent gives orders (human or AI) and with or without calc time, you watch a real time span of events. In true RT, you can do something about the events, in WEGO, you cannot.

Oh, and WEGO has replay.

Originally posted by stikkypixie:

I know we're talking about TCP/IP but you get a lot of comment that WEGO is not supported or only half-hearted supported. It still there.

TBH they should have ditched it alltogether and let everyone get used to, or quit over, it not being in. Now the WEGO nagging will go on forever and steal development time.

I've already converted to real time in SP and find it much better and that it gives me alot more control (replays would be nice, though).

Dunno what the best design for TCP, but I can see the "chess clock" suggestion working; because RT _isn't_ a click fest, and only occassionally are you in need of pausing.

WeGo over TCP/IP can be a real problem to do technically and I can see why, just see how PBEM sizes are. IMO is a waste of development time that BF doesn't have now.

What we need is PAUSABLE (or somekind of chess-like timing) RT. That's a hundread times better than any WeGo, cause it's VARIABLE. Sure, you don't get the cool replays, but that's life.

realistic or not realistic, file size, click fest/ not click fest, et5c etc, i don't care, to each their own.

I like playing tcp and taunting my opponent live.

I REALLY like watching the movies, especially with the great eye candy of the cmsf engine.

I'd hate to miss the replay of blowing up opfors last M1 with my sneaky rpg dudes just because i'm looking at another part of the battle at the time.

"Hey opfor, check out second 23 in the nw corner?

Ya like that, huh? Why don't you send a bradly to come pick up the bodies".

So if that combo's not there, there goes 80% of the fun for me. I've put down several great games because of no wego w/replay.

Does it look like WEGO will every be available for TCP?
it looks like it could be...

from my point of view that is a joke. the game was advisered with WEGO without a "*" to indicate..."but just in SP and the ancient PBEM mode". i mean i still feel tricked.

however it would really be nice if this would be cleared up FAST since i dont want to waste anymore time on a game wich i cant play with buddys as i like in the end.

i mean i dont need any more modules with "more" stuff when you barely can control a company in MP. thats a dead francise without WEGO for me.

and if the WEGO crowd "is" a waste of developement time, than that did it...damn RTS :mad:

We all want a lot of things. Is a matter of priorities and resources. Ok let's the devs steep on and say if it will EVER happen, and if so, WHEN.

I prefer them ironing out bugs and improving other more important things like AI, infantry combat or pathfinding than adding WeGo w/ replay over TCP/IP. And sincerely, I think it will have a bigger impact over most people. Meanwhile adding WeGo w/o replay should't take much effort I think, but if all the point is about the replay, unfortunatly I think it will take more time to implement.

Originally posted by 86smopuim:

realistic or not realistic, file size, click fest/ not click fest, et5c etc, i don't care, to each their own.

I like playing tcp and taunting my opponent live.

I REALLY like watching the movies, especially with the great eye candy of the cmsf engine.

I'd hate to miss the replay of blowing up opfors last M1 with my sneaky rpg dudes just because i'm looking at another part of the battle at the time.

"Hey opfor, check out second 23 in the nw corner?

Ya like that, huh? Why don't you send a bradly to come pick up the bodies".

So if that combo's not there, there goes 80% of the fun for me. I've put down several great games because of no wego w/replay.

I am the same. I loaded up CMSF and found that the inability to fast-forward the boring bits was very frustrating to me.

I also found that the ability to queue up a line of orders so your guys do what you want for the next 60secs was more difficult than in previous games (yeah this is not CMBO blah blah).

So I tried playing in real time. The first two frustrations are eliminated, but a massive one took their place. I am going along when I hear a deadly explosion. I scroll around to find where it was, and find a dead stryker. I have no idea how it happened, who killed it, what the graphics looked like etc. Yes it better simulates chaos of battle but it is not FUN.

The WEGO replay is fun. I believe quite a few people are only grudgingly playing realtime.

Here are my suggestions for a few WEGO enhancements:

* 30 second turns. Modern combat is too fast and the first playthrough too boring, why not have 30 second turns?

* A time faster thing (time-compression?) even 2x would be great if your system handles it so you could skip the boring bits in WEGO.

* Better flexibility in commands, SOPs etc. so your guys can behave in an appropriate manner and help the TacAI along.

XIPE66 wrote: "TBH they should have ditched it alltogether and let everyone get used to, or quit over, it not being in. Now the WEGO nagging will go on forever and steal development time."

KNac wrote: "WeGo over TCP/IP can be a real problem to do technically and I can see why, just see how PBEM sizes are. IMO is a waste of development time that BF doesn't have now.

What we need is PAUSABLE (or some kind of chess-like timing) RT. That's a hundred times better than any WeGo, cause it's VARIABLE. Sure, you don't get the cool replays, but that's life."

Ahh, so now its about stealing development time, and instead your pet football pause is the new priority! You two have quite a lot of balls telling those of us loyal supporters of this game company that our preferred and *supported* style of play is somehow not worth any more support, so that your RT can receive the attention that is, evidently, its due. :mad:

I suggest that you refrain from this kind of commentary in the future. It is fortunate indeed that Steve and company are likely to ignore the likes of you.