The Peng Challenge Thread: Still 100% Advertising Free!

Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Speedy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Noba:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Speedy:

Something must be wrong with me I went to Telstra Dome today and actually barracked for Geelong.

Well I'm glad to see you know class when you see it. :rolleyes: Mind you, it's the lowest class you're likely to see around for a long time - unless it's Carlton... Backing losers must be in your genes, or sumfink.

Why don't you hop onto the MIGHTY WEST COAST EAGLES bandwagon before it's too late? It's ok, we take all types of recalcitrants.

Noba. </font>

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to Joe Shaw for posting the 9th, and obviously best, podcast to his website. The only negative thing I can see here is that now that he has hit his apex, there is but one direction this can head now. On the plus side, this is Peng Challenge Thread stuff we're talking about, so it's not like it has far to fall before smacking into the pavement.

Steve

[ September 04, 2006, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: Battlefront.com ]

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

The only negative thing I can see here is that now that he has hit his apex, there is but one direction this can head now.

Cheer up, Steve. Joe was, as the saying goes, "Born to lose." He's only fulfilling his destiny.

Michael </font>

Originally posted by Noba:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mace:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Noba:

Why don't you hop onto the MIGHTY WEST COAST EAGLES bandwagon before it's too late? It's ok, we take all types of recalcitrants.

OMFG! You've left yourself so wide open there's almost no joy in responding, but since I'm a pr*ck........

....."That's obvious from your membership".

PS tsk, tsk, what's this blatant use of a smiley in our own MBT? </font>

Originally posted by Flammenwerfer:

Listening to a few of those Peng Podcasts, reminded me of those inane panel discussions you here at a sci-fi convention where the assistant to second crew director is babling on about his life-altering experiences on the set of Buckaroo Bonzai or something.. Sheesh.

A FEW of them eh ... another devoted fan.

Of course it IS Pillenwerfer so it's not like it was a challenge or anything. He probably listens to static and thinks it's the sea.

Joe

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

[serious]Good work Joe and others on the podcasts. As crazy as you guys are, I'd rather listen to these things than the 6 o'clock news. By comparison, the Cesspool is a haven. Heavy emphasis on the "by comparison", of course[/serious]

Steve

The 6 o'clock news! That's LOCAL ... by Gawd you'll compare us to National news or nothing ... Or Fox News ... pretty much the same thing.

Joe

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

... address is in the profile.

Joe, if I mail you a noose, do you promise to hang yourself with it as soon as you get it? I know you would prefer to tie it yourself but knots are too complicated a skill for you to have mastered yet.

Michael </font>

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Congrats to Joe Shaw for posting the 9th, and obviously best, podcast to his website. The only negative thing I can see here is that now that he has hit his apex, there is but one direction this can head now. On the plus side, this is Peng Challenge Thread stuff we're talking about, so it's not like it has far to fall before smacking into the pavement.

Steve

There is one more peak left for Joe to climb, and that would be getting Charles on a podcast.

Go to it, Joe !!

(Of course if he fails in this last quest, well, we would think that's normal. We are used to Joe's failures).

Noba.

Originally posted by Noba:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

SNIP

....technically I wasn't barracking for Geelong but for a mate who was playing his first AFL game. It's just that my mate was playing for Geelong.

SNIP

Now that is a good and loyal thing to do...

How did he go ?

Noba. </font>

I'd just like to take this moment to say that my strategy of getting Papa Kahn and dalem angry at each other, leaving me open to victimize the weak (Seanachai), worked beautifully.

Lars, Master of Sword of Rome!

In yo face! In yo face! Woot! Woot! Woot!

Originally posted by Speedy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Nidan1:

what does "barracking" mean?

is it like "cheering" or "rooting" or "supporting" a team? Can't you guys speak English?

Cheering and supporting yes.

The rooting happens somewhat later if you're lucky. </font>

Boo , I think what we are dealing with here is some sort of sexual reference to the word "root", perhaps they really mean "to rut", but you know that the Aussies are fixated on their danglies, so you never know what they are referring to.

Usually its drinking, or sex, or footy, not always in that order.

Originally posted by Nidan1:

Boo , I think what we are dealing with here is some sort of sexual reference to the word "root", perhaps they really mean "to rut", but you know that the Aussies are fixated on their danglies, so you never know what they are referring to.

Usually its drinking, or sex, or footy, not always in that order.

Nidan1 I believe you may BOTH be right on this.

It is entirely possible that you are correct in suggesting a sexual connotation to the usage and Boo Radley may as well when he stated, in part,

... like a pig rooting through trash ...
While I would certainly never suggest that Australian women are trash or aren't attractive (we have firm, solid, well rounded, smooth and unblemished ... where was I ... right, evidence to the contrary) I'm quite certain that the mating habits and tactics of Australian MEN would most closely resemble that of pigs snorting through a trash heap.

But to remain focused on the initial question of "barracking" I believe I provided the most scholarly definition with my early link that suggested a link between whatever activity was performed and a military barracks.

Joe

Originally posted by Lars:

Now, now, Joe, they are Aussies.

I believe the obvious answer is it refers to the "Disciplinary Barracks", ala Leavenworth.

Hmm, would explain the "rooting" thing too...

It is a mystery all right, you could be correct.

Did you, however, note the description Speedy provided of the game antics of his "mate"?

Yeah he did pretty well for a 1st game, he had about 10 possessions with a little over half the game on the ground.
Pretty well? More than half the game he spent ON THE GROUND! Well the lads on the team must have been impressed with THAT prima donna performance. Half the game on the ground ... and to think I considered Australian men to be, well, MEN ... stupid, brainless louts but MEN.

No longer, now "Waltzing Matilda" will forever have a different meaning for me ...

molly2_wideweb__470x323,0.jpg

Matilda? Your guess is as good as mine.

Joe