Auto generated AI taunting Thread (new feature request)

Tarquelne

Member # 8422

Now, how about a "trash talk" window where auto-generated barbs from the computer opponent appear? I figure something with an 80's gangsta rapper vibe. You guys want to be on the forefront of wargame design, am I right?

Tom W replies:

Oh Yeah! ROTFL

Thats a good one!

"auto-generated barbs from the computer opponent appear? "

No no, I want to hear them live in real time from the AI and the computer Taunting you and trashing talking its way to AI glory and AI computer victory!!!! LOL!

Oh yes.....

PLEASE let the AI taunt players who are losing badly!! (or just losing)

yes

yes I can see it now

Real live audio files (a good variety of them may be extracted directly from the Peng Threads (lots of Material there!) if I am not mistaken) that speak to the player trash talking and taunting!

Who here would NOT volunteer to record trash talking, taunting sayings for the AI to "speak"/bark to the player when triggered by obvious bone head moves!! (or JUST bad luck).

This is such a GREAT feature I can't believe it has only come up now SO LATE into the development cycle..

This idea has SO much potential it really deserves its very own thread! ...... really,

LOL

One possible example: (please submit more I am sure there are FAR more creative "taunters" out there than myself!)

AI to the player:

"Hey LOSER!... WHAT!?!? :eek: ... you didn't think I would see that column of Strikers on my left flank!? Mu HA Ha ha.... See they are all in flames now, bet you can't guess what smoked them!/brewed them up!?."

(or something)

-tom w

[ January 26, 2006, 09:19 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

I have to say I hate this idea,

Why would you want to pretend the AI was a "real" person, other than because you don't have any real friends to play with, its sad really.

Still as long as you can turn it off, put it in.

When I used to play board games, we used to have a laugh and a joke, but nothing like this, and when I was playing a test or solo game, I didn't jump up and shout at myself....

Peter.

I KNOW there are some folks here who are very talented at taunting and trash talking during online games and seemingly 24/7 in online posts in the various Peng Challenge Threads.

It should not be all that hard to capture some of their "abuse" (or entertaining "patter") and load it into the game for the AI to spew forth for fun and for entertainment.

And of course this idea will never fly, but it won't only be tolerable if the player could toggle it off (of course smile.gif )

:D

-tom w

[ January 26, 2006, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Not so interested in the AI version, but if you could give units short text messages that they would "say" during the movie, that could be good. Your PBEM opponent and you would see a speech bubble or something during the next movie. If you could also have a delay for the message (the same way you can delay movement orders), then you could have one unit say something at the beginning of movie, another after 30 seconds and so on.

If in CMx1 you can hear lines like "Run away! Run away!" at the appropriate moments I can't imagine why other audio stuff couldn't be added on top, hopefully toggleable so you can turn it off if you want. I assume AI-generated stuff would be U.S. only (commanders verbally abusing their subordinates) unless you either do the Iraqi side in heavily accented English or in the native tongue with a rolling tape display with a translation. Then again, a rolling tape display will have to cover up something on the screen. Would you mind missing a corner of the action on-screen to read the line "Look at the infidel running away!"

Tom...compared to your history of great ideas, this

one isn't that good smile.gif .

In my opinion this could hamper the ability to suspend disbelief . It wouldn't feel like a real battle if you had some Peng(no offense Peng) influenced AI telling me to "sod off!" every now and then.

Maybe as an option you could toggle.

//Salkin

Originally posted by Peter Cairns:

Why would you want to pretend the AI was a "real" person, other than because you don't have any real friends to play with, its sad really.

[/QB]

Hey I was surprised too but AI is a real person and she's a woman! I met her at a bar saturday night. She seemed nice--an old fashioned gal---looked like a cross between a Commodore Computer and an Intellivision console.

oh OK

I was just promoting Tarquelne's orignal idea because it sounds like it has potential for GREAT humour in the game

It will never make it into final design of the game because it is a totally unnecesary FRILL, I just wanted to see what new "taunting and trash talking" phrases and sayings folks would come up with on the forum. (for fun)

he he smile.gif

-tom

Tarquelne

Member # 8422

Now, how about a "trash talk" window where auto-generated barbs from the computer opponent appear? I figure something with an 80's gangsta rapper vibe. You guys want to be on the forefront of wargame design, am I right?

Originally posted by Salkin:

Tom...compared to your history of great ideas, this

one isn't that good smile.gif .

In my opinion this could hamper the ability to suspend disbelief . It wouldn't feel like a real battle if you had some Peng(no offense Peng) influenced AI telling me to "sod off!" every now and then.

Maybe as an option you could toggle.

//Salkin

[ January 27, 2006, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

I am just promoting Tarquelne's orignal idea because it sounds like it has potential for GREAT humour in the game

The problem was that you suggested it in connection with the Peng Challenge thread; and - as every casual, objective observer can attest to: "great humour" and "Peng Challenge" are contradicting terms.

Best regards,

Thomm

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

oh OK

I am just promoting Tarquelne's orignal idea because it sounds like it has potential for GREAT humour in the game

It will never make it into final design of the game because it is a totally unnecesary FRILL, I just wanted to see want new "taunting and trash talking" phrases and sayings folks would come up with on the forum.

he he smile.gif

-tom

Tom, I find it interesting that you would further a request for computer-generated trash talking given your penhant for posts that are basically idiotic sycophantic tripe.

Could it be that you really embrace talking not as a form of communication but merely as an end in itself? It would explain your use of long, unnecssary quotes, irritating use of MEANINGLESS BUT GOSH DARN NICE EXCLAMATIONS and general lack of focus in your postings... Perhaps you need to embrace the idea that people occassionally use that age-old work of art, the English Language, for some purpose other than just hearing themselves use it.

About the only thing of less value than another THAT'S GREAT post to this board would be the addition of lame "trash talk" by an inanimate object to a tactical simulation.

Taunts would be fun, but BFC seems sooooo serious about purity of their game - I mean simulation. They seem to be intent on getting a hard-core realistic combat sim out the door with little or no compromises for 'fun'. I sometimes think that maybe it won't be for another 2-3 titles that they'll be able to let their hair down (sorry Matt) and go crazy. I rather expect Space Lobsters to be strewn with taunts, spurting blood, F-bombs, and nudie shots simply because that'll be the ONE title where anything goes! :D

Of course BFC can prove me wrong by putting a 'turbo-fun' button on the menu bar.