Was it a dream?

J Ruddy

OK I think I'm on crack.

Did I see a feature where you could limit the FOV to the commander instead of Borg like free style scrolling?

Did this mean any commander on the field? ie - any tank commander or any infantry platoon commander etc...?

If so, when in 'play' mode as said commander could you issue new orders to the units under you?

Or am I thinking of another game/universe?

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

We are planning on putting in some sort of Iron Man mode which would enforce certain rules such as camera location. However, we haven't nailed down the specifics yet. Much easier to do that after the game is pretty much done so that we know what will work and what won't BEFORE we go coding stuff.

Steve

So your pursuit of Iron Man play will not involve Iron Man Coding Challenges. hmph, typical. :mad:

With varied buildings, road sign doodads and the like, I like the prospects of a successful Iron Man option.

If they can code up a Realistic Iron Man FOW option it will be almost shear terror to play the game in RealTime.

so are you asking yourself "Why would anyone want to play Iron Man in Real Time??"

simple for the challenge and the adrenalin rush I guess...

I might only do it once, but it would sure be fun against the computer AI because then no one else would see how embarrasingly poorly I play. (I say that "embarrasing" part because I have no clue how to either attack with US forces or defend with Syrian forces using all the new modern day high tech equipment in CM:SF "But I am willing to learn".)

-tom w

I wouldn't mind Iron man at all if you could switch between commanders. Say 10 ft above the head of the commander in the case of a vehicle or commander eye view for a grunt? If a parameter could select the Iron Man level such as company commander only, platoon commander or section leader, then I could tab between platoon commander's eye view for example, that might be pretty slick.

Or I could be eating the spotted muchrooms that grow out back again... :D

So as this Iron Man commander, can we go into first person mode and command from the ground?

I'd like to lead the assault group with my SAW firing on the run as I jump up and down frantically to avoid the bullets of Syrian sniper zombies in the rooftops!

W00T!

Oh and if Battlefront could code in some sort of Titanium bullet-deflecting shield for my Iron Man commander, that would be like totally sweet!

;)

Ivan Drago,

If you're going to lead your assault group, SAW in hand gunning and running, can I defend, please? As the defender, you see, I'd love to have you put both the commander, you, and your most powerful firearm on point--where I can kill them quickly and easily.

It's rather like that scene in THE DIRTY DOZEN where the new CO is trying to find tough fighters for wet work, and invites prospects to come at him with a knife. The ones who charge in for an overhead stabbing attack don't worry him at all, and they wind up flipped and disarmed in seconds.

The one that worries him is the one who comes in low, keeps the knife tucked up near the body and slashes with it viciously in lightning quick upward strikes. Your approach would be analogous to the overhead stab method, and I'd love it.

The scary ones for me would be the ones who exposed minimal manpower at any given instant and overwatched that manpower with heavy firepower such as that SAW you'd like to gun and run with.

BTW, the Marines concluded in their Fallujah lessons learned report that the SAW should not only never lead in MOUT, but shouldn't even be in the assault team for room clearing. Too easy to lose a critical support weapon in a room fight!

Regards,

John Kettler

[ December 27, 2006, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Originally posted by Ivan Drago:

So as this Iron Man commander, can we go into first person mode and command from the ground?

I'd like to lead the assault group with my SAW firing on the run as I jump up and down frantically to avoid the bullets of Syrian sniper zombies in the rooftops!

W00T!

Oh and if Battlefront could code in some sort of Titanium bullet-deflecting shield for my Iron Man commander, that would be like totally sweet!

;)

I realize that you're mocking this, but for what its worth I'd really, really, really like to see a first person capability in the game. I realize its a totally different can of worms from a tactical wargame, but CMSF already looks far better in its alpha/pre-alpha form than most of the FPSes I play.

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Ivan Drago,

If you're going to lead your assault group, SAW in hand gunning and running, can I defend, please? As the defender, you see, I'd love to have you put both the commander, you, and your most powerful firearm on point--where I can kill them quickly and easily.

Pshaw, dude, pshaw I say!

You'd never get past my l33t strafing skillz!

And even if I do run out of SAW rounds, that's what the RPG I'm also going to be carrying (along with a half-dozen other weapons) is for!

One time I leapt from a 2nd story window, and while spinning in mid-air sent a rocket right down some poor sucker's gullet!

Don't mess with me dude, i 0wN in cOunter$trike!p

tongue.gif

Originally posted by John Kettler:

(snip)

It's rather like that scene in THE DIRTY DOZEN where the new CO is trying to find tough fighters for wet work, and invites prospects to come at him with a knife. The ones who charge in for an overhead stabbing attack don't worry him at all, and they wind up flipped and disarmed in seconds.

The one that worries him is the one who comes in low, keeps the knife tucked up near the body and slashes with it viciously in lightning quick upward strikes. Your approach would be analogous to the overhead stab method, and I'd love it.

(snip)

John, not to nitpick, but in The Dirty Dozen the hero Major Reisman (Lee Marvin) uses the improbably named giant Posey (Clint Walker) to demonstrate fighting a man armed with a knife. If you recall, Reisman starts shoving Posey and taunting him to stick the knife in him, finally enraging Posey enough to make the clumsy attack you mention. I don't recall any of the others attacking Reisman with a knife and using the tactics you mention. I do remember Franko (John Cassavetes) offering to stick a knife in Reisman to "help the war effort". Certainly none of the Germans used a knife. Was this a Dirty Dozen sequel you were thinking of? :confused: :confused: