My Grunts simply are too slow

Taki

Played the Second Scenario with Patch 1.03 and im a bit upset.

My Grunts simply take to long to get into a House to clear it. I run a Stryker besite the House with a Squad and tell them to Disembark and Clear the House. The Simply take way too long. They take up to 2 Minutes to get to the Disembark Waypoint and then into the House. Its disturbing the good Feel Play of CMSF. All the Infantry Commands they do are taking too long. US Tactic is built around Speed and Quikness but this kinda BS is anoying me.

WIll this be fixed?

well, if yo watch it closely, they often overshoot entrances or the styker ramp and than bunch up a bit.

this takes time.

also the ToW like "regrouping" at each waypoint is a threat.

in tow everyone whined about and here they take it...dont know why.

(dont come with, "its realistic"! a squad can march 30 meters in 3x10meter parts without regrouping every 10 meters.)

well, onthe other hand there is much its still much to be tweaked so hopefully this will get sorted out too...

I hate infantry in this game on the whole and movement is my primary gripe. I hate the "regroup at every waypoint" BS. The developers complain that we expect too much of the movement routines by not plotting detailed routes but I don't always want or need my guys to stop after every leg of a move, especially if under fire. I may tell them to take a certain route because of cover or ease of movement but that doesn't mean I want them to hang out there.

Another thing I have trouble with is the turn rate for your soldiers. It should be basically instantanious. It does not take several seconds for a person to turn from side to side.

Pace is one of the things they got perfectly in CMSF imo
acually, as it may be hard to get out of my post befor, i think that too.

but thats just right when they "ARE moving", becouse there are soooo many little breaks und pile up´s that the real movement is pretty disconnected.

I think it's the spinning and the one- to three-second break that takes place before every action (weapon up, enemy in line of sight at 20m... do you wait three seconds to fire? ... I doubt it), however small, that is the primary contributor to the infantry-slow perception for me.

Pandur, exactly -- lots of breaks, tweaks and pile-ups.

acually, as it may be hard to get out of my post befor, i think that too.

but thats just right when they "ARE moving", becouse there are soooo many little breaks und pile up´s that the real movement is pretty disconnected.

Thats the Point. THey take up to many Brakes turns and other things. Especially when they are under Fire they simply take to long. They get shot, lay around in the Open, turn around liying and get shot. There should be more Dynamic like taking Cover behind a Stryker, Wall Housewall spread out, take cover... tahts the Problem with it. They are way too static.

Yes couldnt agree more with all the points made by you all. I think is one of the serious problems with infantry model (current infantry combat for me is the most annoying thing in the game, more than any bug combined and is what ruins the most my fun) together with some odd pathing and TacAI behabiour.

Troops should be much more reactive to the enviorement and act faster, and in more realistic way, tehre is too much "stay in the open and get slaughted in seconds" around right now.

I have had this problem too. My examples:

I drive a Stryker next to a house (about 30m from it) and disembark a squad. There is an enemy squad on the top of that building and they begin to fire at my squad. What happens? When the squad gets out of the Stryker, they first bunch up behind the vehicle. Luckily the Stryker was in between the squads. After that the squad regroups, and while doing that they don't fire. So, it took something like 10 seconds to respond to enemy fire from 30m away! In reality (at least this is what I learned in FDF) they should _instantly_ fire back. Then if no commands are given, just stay there and fight it out, maybe looking for better cover. The absolutely stupidest thing they could do is to first try to set up some formation!

For the same reason hunt is not usable. When a squad comes under enemy fire what is the first thing they do? Try to get into cover? No. Try to instantly fire back? No. They set up a formation, and a couple of guys usually gets killed in that process.

Also, I think that the other soldiers wont fire before the formation is set up. I mean the ones who are already in their place in the formation. Might be that I just remember incorrectly, as I haven't played the game in a week or so.

The fix I would suggest is that the basic behavior should be fire back immediately from where you are. Then seek cover. Or maybe depending on the situation first seek cover, then fire back. But do not set up a bunched up formation in the middle of an open street!

I am sure this one will be looked at, because there has been so many complaints about this. I would think this is 1.05 material. At least I hope so...

Got that Problem with a Stryker driving to a Door Exit to let the People in the back out. They should run straight to the Door and take Cover on stryker or the Housewall but they setup for almost 30sec or more outsite the Stryker and get killed. That should be definatly be fixed. MOre Dynamic Infantry behaviour. Big challenge wich has come up with the 1:1 Rep.

Originally posted by Lindan:

Steve undoubtedly has a lot of other things to do besides answering forum questions.

Unfortunately, the trend seems to be that Steve gives rather generous feedback in threads involving the more philosophical aspects of CM:SF design. Whether this is unintentional or on purpose, I do not know.

Short answers or updates in the more technical threads would certainly be welcome!

As always, no offence meant.

Best regards,

Thomm