Pathfinding

DzrtFox

Hi guys,

I have really been enjoying 1.06 but I'm still seeing a lot of goofiness with regards to unit pathfinding.

I've already mentioned in a previous thread how I can't seem to get my vehicles to follow roads on Al Huqf.

Just now I was playing the new scenario "The Fox". I had a squad on the first floor of a 3-story building. I order them to assault the 2nd floor and what do they do? Haul ass OUTSIDE the building into some brush outside, then turn around, run back inside and go upstairs. Only one of the units that ran outside survived the slaughter before making it back in.

Also on two occasions I ordered infantry squads to move forward through some trees and came back to see them still sitting in the exact same place with no move order.

Is there ever going to be a time when we can expect units to go exactly where they're ordered (under reasonable circumstances) without any extra interference on the part of the computer? This has been an issue since the game came out and seemed to have improved, but the more I play with this new patch the more I see it.

Originally posted by DzrtFox:

Just now I was playing the new scenario "The Fox". I had a squad on the first floor of a 3-story building. I order them to assault the 2nd floor and what do they do? Haul ass OUTSIDE the building into some brush outside, then turn around, run back inside and go upstairs. Only one of the units that ran outside survived the slaughter before making it back in.

This could plausably be a result of the way I constructed the large building in that scenario. I hope not, of course...

edit I see that the problem occured within just one 3 story unit. Ignore what I said...

[ February 10, 2008, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Windle_Poons ]

Originally posted by DzrtFox:

I was playing real-time though, so would a save file help them out if it had already happened?

That's how I do it all the time. As soon as you are spotting something unusual, hit pause and save. See how the situation develops further and submit the save game if it shows the problem clearly. Otherwise, set up an isolated test that reproduces the problem and submit this one.

Sounds like work? Yep, it is, but it is the safest way to get "your" bugs fixed.

Best regards,

Thomm

I had a similarly peculiar path-finding issue trying to blast between adjacent buildings. My unit was on the third floor of a 4-story building and I wanted to attack the 2nd floor of the adjacent 4-story building. I gave a single blast command to them and watched them do their stuff. I, perhaps naively, expected them to go downstairs and blast through the wall horizontally, so that the blast would disorient the enemy (not sure if this is modelled in game, but it should be). What they actually did was:

1) They immediately set explosives on the connecting wall on the 3rd floor.

2) Ignoring the hole in the wall, they walked up to the roof, crossed the roof and then walked down to the 2nd floor.

OK, I should really have been explicit and told them to move down the stairs and then blast horizontally. Still, if they'd been able to go directly through their own blast-hole rather in an entirely different way, I wouldn't have thought it enough to complain about.

In a different scenario (the standard hospital assault one), I had engineers behind the wall, ready to assault. I told them to blast into the building, but instead of moving about 5m to their side to walk around the wall before getting to the building, they set charges in the wall and then casually walked in the front door of the building. This is less of an issue though, since I might have wanted to blast through the wall in different circumstances, so I think I just need to be more explicit in my commands.

After playing many scenarios with 1.06, I find pathfinding to be the last issue that still really needs work. I am happy with most other aspects of the game. It's strange too because it seems like some scenarios the pathfinding is better than others. On some scenarios I hardly notice it at all. Then on some you still can't get vehicles to follow a straight path down a road...

Originally posted by Melnibone:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by thewood:

I still wonder if there is some issue with early map builds. I seem to have more problems with maps that came with the game than ones I build myself.

It seems recently every time I have an idea - you have written it down first :mad: ;) </font>