Is anyone enjoying TCP/IP?

Once more I bring this back because I cant figure what's going on with either my PC/connection or CMSF net code. The last time I joined a game I had a 180ms ping to the host and it took minutes for my units to carry out simple orders like move or target. It was a medium sized scenario. I have a DSL connection but no matter who is the host I always have huge lag problems. Anyone with better experiences?

OK, here's how you fix this:

1. The host MUST wait for the guest to finish setting up before hitting the ready button.

2. The host should take at least a minute before hitting the ready button to let the two sides sync up.

3. I have a crash bug when the guest targets artillery in setup, so I don't do it.

This is a bug, I've spammed the tech forum with it, but I have worked around it with the above steps.

Originally posted by thelmia:

OK, here's how you fix this:

1. The host MUST wait for the guest to finish setting up before hitting the ready button.

2. The host should take at least a minute before hitting the ready button to let the two sides sync up.

3. I have a crash bug when the guest targets artillery in setup, so I don't do it.

This is a bug, I've spammed the tech forum with it, but I have worked around it with the above steps.

Thanks for the help but I'm pretty sure I tried that already. Clicked ready really quick as guest and it was above a minute before the host was ready. Same results :(

I think BFC said there is no problem with their multiplayer testing but seems like people still cant play smoothly. Unfortunately for some of us, head to head is the only way to really enjoy the game.

[ September 27, 2007, 05:26 AM: Message edited by: Ali-Baba ]

I tried these tips in a very small scenario (Al Huqf) and was then able to play without any problem, and I found it really fun!

There is still something weird happening when dismounting units during the setup phase (a part of the unit being stucked in the vehicle, the other floating without any goal like zombies).

I haven't tried to play large scenarios yet, so I can't tell if it always works.

Have the guest take their time before hitting ready? I think it's a sync issue, and just taking a long time in setup may help. Map size seems to be the biggest variable. On big maps, wait longer. I've even seen people 'catch up' and orders losing their delay.

This is a problem for a lot of people. It's a pity that it's not been mentioned very often.

There was no mentioning of TCP testing for any of the patches. I doubt 1.04 will be different. Guess TCPers are a minority. But how long can you play with the AI?? Its only purpose is to train for the real thing, vs a human opponent. I refuse to play PBEM now that CMSF is RT. Hope they make it work sooner or later :rolleyes:

Considering the size of pbem files, WEGO in TCP/IP would not be very different from pbem. (How many time to upload a 10 Mo or more file?).

That is something curious: it seems that the amount of data exchanged in RT is less considerable...(but I may be absolutely WRONG)

If that patch does not improve the TCP situation, bump this thread and request extensive beta testing of v1.05 in TCP.
Sure we'll do it!

No, the amount of data is the same but is shared as it goes contrary to WeGo, when you must transfer a minute worth of data instantatlly.

Considering you have a broadband connection it's not a big problem to tranfer that data, the game must be unplayable on analogic modem though.

Originally posted by JSB:

Considering the size of pbem files, WEGO in TCP/IP would not be very different from pbem. (How many time to upload a 10 Mo or more file?).

That is something curious: it seems that the amount of data exchanged in RT is less considerable...(but I may be absolutely WRONG)

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> If that patch does not improve the TCP situation, bump this thread and request extensive beta testing of v1.05 in TCP.

Sure we'll do it! </font>

But uploading 10 Mo of data (for example), corresponding to 1 minute of game, takes much more than one minute with my 512 kb/s connection. It would theorically make RT impossible.

Perhaps all the calculations don't need to be transmitted, but are done simultaneously on both computers...

I can`t understand why people allways compare TCP/IP and PBEM. It`s totally different. Nobody plays a PBEM Game in 2-3 hours, that´s just not practical.

If there is no WEGO for TCP/IP the only real option to play this game in multiplayer is to have a PBEM Game over weeks and months, and I did that in the past for CMBO and CMBB, that´s not fun.

Waiting hours (or days) for the next e-mail is not fun, but waiting minutes for the next video won't be funny either (for me at least). ;)

[ October 01, 2007, 03:41 AM: Message edited by: JSB ]

Originally posted by KNac:

some kind of auto-pause w/ RT has been suggested allready, but that's not the same as WeGo.

Personally I'm fine with pausable RT youc an pretty much replicate WeGo that way. let's hope soemthing is done for 1.05 in that department.

Something like that would be ok.