Training - Artillery red "x"?

I think it has something to do with the strength of the artillery unit. Just a guess, but I think it matches the data. Mortars have red x's, 155s have two green pluses, Apache have one green plus.

Another thought, maybe it is a combination of the strength/effectiveness of the unit along with the number of tubes in the battery, since both the 155s I've used and the Mortars I've used have options to use 1 or 2 guns when selecting a fire mission.

If you mean a red "X" in the top left hand corner it means "click on this to close the window" (only becomes red when your mouse pointer moves over it).

Are there still a series of green dots under the mortar base plate?

[ July 29, 2007, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: gibsonm ]

Originally posted by gibsonm:

If you mean a red "X" in the top left hand corner it means the mortar (or other indirect fire asset) has run out of ammunition.

I think he's talking about the ones in the middle left of the silhouette pane, directly above the name/type of the unit (for example, directly above "M109A6 Paladin" or "A-10 Thunderbolt").

Originally posted by gibsonm:

If you mean a red "X" in the top left hand corner it means the mortar (or other indirect fire asset) has run out of ammunition.

Are there still a series of green dots under the mortar base plate?

I don't believe the red X means the unit is out of rounds. That X is there before I've ordered a mortar strike.

Dischord,

I'm sorry to say I don't remember what that thing is for!! I assumed it was in the manual and I just forgot what it was, but it isn't in there. The number represents how many physical things are doing the firing (i.e. 1 aircraft, 2 mortars, etc), but that symbol is a head scratcher. This is the problem with having designed something over a year ago. Old age, you know :D

OK, so I consulted the last rev of the Support design doc (8/06 dated). No dice there. I have a vague recollection that Charles wanted to put in something and that's what we wound up with. When we made changes like that I often didn't update my documentation because I figured I'd remember it later. No go on this one!

What I *think* it represents is something that is internally called the Spotter Experience value. Basically, how well suited the current spotter is to using that particular Asset. The symbols are the same ones used to show the relative strengths of stuff in the Reports part of the UI (like the threat chart for armor) with the same relative values. Big red X would mean, for example, that particular unit is not the best fit for calling in that Asset. Not all Spotters are created equal!

I'm pretty sure that's it, so unless I tell you otherwise that's the answer ;) I'd ask Charles but that will take a few days to get a response from him. He's unavailable for a bit.

Thanks!

Steve

[ July 30, 2007, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: Battlefront.com ]

OK, here's another question:

How do I adjust fire?

I've selected the Spotting unit (FSV, FO) and selected Adjust Fire in the planning phase, yet it doesn't allow me to adjust the target cursor at all.

I've tried doing this many times through each stage of the Arty battery firing, from Receiving to Spotting to Firing, but no dice adjusting anything at any point in the firing order...

I RTFM, but it isn't very specific on this subject at all.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

I'm pretty sure that's it, so unless I tell you otherwise that's the answer ;) I'd ask Charles but that will take a few days to get a response from him. He's unavailable for a bit.

Is he being punished for removing the right click menu. I hope it is severe.

Originally posted by MoNuckah:

OK, here's another question:

How do I adjust fire?

I've selected the Spotting unit (FSV, FO) and selected Adjust Fire in the planning phase, yet it doesn't allow me to adjust the target cursor at all.

I've tried doing this many times through each stage of the Arty battery firing, from Receiving to Spotting to Firing, but no dice adjusting anything at any point in the firing order...

I RTFM, but it isn't very specific on this subject at all.

Thanks!

Yes I have noticed this as well, calling for adjust fire produces no response.

With the MGS I've noticed a weird firing pattern for the main cannon. The first round is instant, but then it waits a couple minutes before going to sustained fire. I guess the wait is when they reload the autoloader? However it seems like the firing pattern is repeated for each new target. I would think that once the autoloader was primed switching targets wouldn't require a new reloading period. I'm also surprised that the vehicle operates with only one round ready to fire. I haven't had to engage armor with an MGS yet, but I'm a little scared that it will stop after only one round. Has anybody else seen this behavior?

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Dischord,

I'm sorry to say I don't remember what that thing is for!! I assumed it was in the manual and I just forgot what it was, but it isn't in there. The number represents how many physical things are doing the firing (i.e. 1 aircraft, 2 mortars, etc), but that symbol is a head scratcher. This is the problem with having designed something over a year ago. Old age, you know :D

OK, so I consulted the last rev of the Support design doc (8/06 dated). No dice there. I have a vague recollection that Charles wanted to put in something and that's what we wound up with. When we made changes like that I often didn't update my documentation because I figured I'd remember it later. No go on this one!

What I *think* it represents is something that is internally called the Spotter Experience value. Basically, how well suited the current spotter is to using that particular Asset. The symbols are the same ones used to show the relative strengths of stuff in the Reports part of the UI (like the threat chart for armor) with the same relative values. Big red X would mean, for example, that particular unit is not the best fit for calling in that Asset. Not all Spotters are created equal!

Thanks!

Steve

Ok 13 days and a wakeup. Any word on this?

It seems that the indicator is counter intuitive to what is being stated. If you select for example a PFC of an M1 or Stryker then would show a green + and a long delay for a fire mission. When you select an FO or JTAC for that same support element the indicator shows a red X and a short delay.

I know this sounds minor and technical, but it goes along way in distracting us from some of the major issues going on. smile.gif Give us some thing shiny to look at or “pay no attention to the man behind the curtain” Think of it a feint maneuver.