My Review

Jim Cobb

Originally posted by Jim Cobb:

The game offers two styles of play, real-time and WEGO, and shows the strengths and limitations of both. WEGO allows players to plot their orders and then watch and replay the action as their orders unfold in thirty second intervals. Players who like to study situations and consider their moves carefully will enjoy WEGO

That's not true... we doesn't have WeGO in CMSF at all. Only a vanilla version of realtime-auto pause.

To get WeGO, you need good TacAI that makes your troops act more realistically when they spot some targets or become under fire.

This game is fully realtime oriented... don't even speak of WeGO, if you want to sound like a serious reviewer, WeGO it's only the name of the menu that they placed in their realtime with auto-pause option... all the maths of the TacAI are done in real time... without any stop for 100% dedicated CPU calculations.

Originally posted by Cid250:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jim Cobb:

The game offers two styles of play, real-time and WEGO, and shows the strengths and limitations of both. WEGO allows players to plot their orders and then watch and replay the action as their orders unfold in thirty second intervals. Players who like to study situations and consider their moves carefully will enjoy WEGO

That's not true... we doesn't have WeGO in CMSF at all. Only a vanilla version of realtime-auto pause.

To get WeGO, you need good TacAI that makes your troops act more realistically when they spot some targets or become under fire.

This game is fully realtime oriented... don't even speak of WeGO, if you want to sound like a serious reviewer, WeGO it's only the name of the menu that they placed in their realtime with auto-pause option... all the maths of the TacAI are done in real time... without any stop for 100% dedicated CPU calculations. </font>

30 second intervals?

Since when?

I play WEGO exclusively and I run my own version of the blue bar.

I plot my moves, then turn off the sound, point the camera off map and hit go. The computer does it's thing, then I watch the replay. I had to resort to doing this because my old rig couldn't run the Hammertime Scenario with out my tanks jumping around the screen like crickets.

Originally posted by Cid250:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jim Cobb:

This game is fully realtime oriented... don't even speak of WeGO, if you want to sound like a serious reviewer, WeGO it's only the name of the menu that they placed in their realtime with auto-pause option... all the maths of the TacAI are done in real time... without any stop for 100% dedicated CPU calculations. </font>

Oh yeah...sure but what does HE know?

About the Author

Jim Cobb has been playing board wargames since 1961 and computer wargames since 1982. He has been writing incessantly since 1993 to keep his mind off the drivel he deals with as a bureaucrat. He has published in Wargamers Monthly, Computer Gaming World, Computer Games Magazine, Computer Games Online, CombatSim, Armchair General, Subsim, Strategyzone Online and Gaming Chronicle.

"Walls crumble and buildings collapse when the correct amount of high explosive is applied, although ground is not cratered."

Ground is cratered...depending what hit the building.

A fair review. I thought.

Mord.

Underneath the building?

Playing around with all the air support in the 'Warlords in a Barrel' user-gen scenario, using 'heavy' fire missions, I've seen quite a few leveled buildings surrounded by crater... but with the building wreckage at its original level (as if on a dirt pedestal, basically). Never saw building wreckage pushed downwards -into- a crater.

"Combat Mission Shock Force is a deep, complex and taxing game. Players who don’t want to invest time and effort into play may not enjoy it. However, gamers who want to have insight into the kind of operations the US appears to be doomed to undertake in the foreseeable future will be rewarded for waiting for the patches. This game goes beyond the gung-ho products of other franchises. The strengths and weaknesses of the “Western Way of War” in the modern era are shown here clearly. Finding the right mix of force, distance, and time challenges players to make truly tactical decisions. The rewards of success are visceral and watching a plan unfold with all the graphical nuances leaves players holding the breath. Failure is almost a personal loss. Any serious gamer should suffer through the not insignificant bugs—or wait for the patches—and get this game."

Sounded like a fair review to me

smile.gif

No one here has come right out and said it, so I will, for the time being one much loved feature of the CMx1 was TCP/IP WEGO.

TCP/IP WEGO is missing from CMSF, but, you can still play WEGO via hotseat or via PBEM or against the computer AI and it IS WEGO.

BUT there no network live action TCP/IP WEGO and by now I am sure they, (the good folks at BFC) KNOW ALL ABOUT IT.

smile.gif

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

No one here has come right out and said it, so I will, for the time being one much loved feature of the CMx1 was TCP/IP WEGO.

TCP/IP WEGO is missing from CMSF you can still play via hotseat or via PBEM or against the computer AI and it IS WEGO.

BUT there no network live action TCP/IP WEGO and by now I am sure (the good folks at BFC) KNOW ALL ABOUT IT.

smile.gif

I liked it. I like TCP/IP real time more. It would not bother me if it came back, though.

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

"Combat Mission Shock Force is a deep, complex and taxing game. Players who don’t want to invest time and effort into play may not enjoy it. However, gamers who want to have insight into the kind of operations the US appears to be doomed to undertake in the foreseeable future will be rewarded for waiting for the patches. This game goes beyond the gung-ho products of other franchises. The strengths and weaknesses of the “Western Way of War” in the modern era are shown here clearly. Finding the right mix of force, distance, and time challenges players to make truly tactical decisions. The rewards of success are visceral and watching a plan unfold with all the graphical nuances leaves players holding the breath. Failure is almost a personal loss. Any serious gamer should suffer through the not insignificant bugs—or wait for the patches—and get this game."

Sounded like a fair review to me

smile.gif

Darn, that paragraph reads even better to me now than when I wrote it.

CMSF was difficult to review. So tiring that I'm giving myself a break before doing the next.

Originally posted by reel-why:

The real reason I play WEGO is so I can watch all that cool stuff happen again.

A truer statement was never spoken...me too. It's half the reason a 30 minute game usually lasts four hours for me...and I am fine with it!

I like RT for testing stuff though...speeds that part of the process up.

And Jim's last paragraph was great. Nice wind up to the review.

Mord.