1.05 Gameplay/Bugs Feedback

First, my thanks to BFC for sticking with this title, your dedication cannot be second guessed. That said, there remains quite a bit of ground to cover in my estimation.

In addition to the other items that have already been listed on the forum...

Bugs:

At times, no crawl animation will be displayed when an infantry unit is tasked with moving "slow." The result is the model awkwardly "sliding" across the ground in a fixed pose.

Infantry continue to warp/snap-to positions in WEGO

Vehicles continue to not horizontally align properly with inclines/undulations. This results in a visual glitch whereby the model rapidly moves up and down on its "x" axis as if the game cannot properly orient the vehicle model to the terrain model.

RPG fins continue to protrude from the sides of the launcher tube

M1114 gunner model not positioned properly - arms are not in firing position on the mounted weapon

"Box select" does not work

Cover arcs do not extend off the map edge

Cannot issue a "face" command to a waypoint while plotting points for disembarking troops.

Craters do not "reset" during WEGO playback

KIA infantry do not always appear as such when a saved game is loaded. When the first turn is played out they revert to the correct KIA model.

IED's vs. armored vehicles appear to be grossly underpowered. Example: a bundle of three artillery rounds detonates under a M3A3 and no damage is sustained. Example: a M3A3 drives over two separate artillery round IED's sustaining no damage.

Suggestions:

Dismounting infantry pathfinding needs continued attention. Squads still do not follow established waypoints. Rather, some will dismount right others left and still others from the top hatch of their IFV. As such, they then pause to "regroup" before making another attempt at finding the waypoint.

Please add "use main gun" and "use ATGM" options

Please add the ability to highlight IED's when the associated trigger man is selected. These are very difficult to spot on a map as is.

Questions:

Why does the squad leader dismount through the M3/M2 turret hatch? Wrong animation (dismount vs. bail out)?

How are items "unaquired?"

Is it possible to reduce the tendency to aid the wounded while under direct fire? If one soldier goes down, eventually the balance of the squad will as well given their habit of continuously administering aid.

Modding:

Is there the equivalent of "transparent pink" in CMSF? I would like to mask the contact icons so they do not appear.

[ December 23, 2007, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Peter Panzer ]

The bugs are getting less but one I thought had been crushed resurfaced in a game I was playing today:

Bug: Ordering a squad to move from the upper floor of one building to the upper floor of another building half way across the map sometimes results in the squad walking across thin air to reach the new building, i.e. without first descending to ground level.

Are you sure box select never works? In my experience it works most of the time but if you select are large number of units some of them are sometimes left out.

Originally posted by Peter Panzer:

Hello Steiner:

I cannot get the box select to function as of yet. Shift+Left Click and drag, right?

That's correct - shift+left-click then drag a green box around the units. Works fine for me most of the time, except for very large numbers of units. My only caveat: sometimes if the scenario is large and the frame-rate is low, you have to kind of hold shift+left-click for maybe half a second for it to "take" and then drag.

Some squads don't stay together. Half the men will move to the designated waypoint while the rest stay put. The unit icon hovers over a point midway between the two groups. Nothing can be done to get the second group to move. Even bringing them all back to the original location does not fix this. Some small units, such as HQs, won't move at all.

A couple quick points:

You can not unacquire at the present time.

I have noticed that 1.05 seems to reduce the aid under fire behavior.

I never have trouble with box select but then I don't use it very much.

I know that it is easier to get out of the Bradley turret through the commander's hatch. At least it was for me. Otherwise the turret has to be facing towards the front and you have to squeeze out with your gear getting caught everywhere. I don't know what the SOP is I just used to play around with them but was never a Bradley trooper.

Some squads don't stay together. Half the men will move to the designated waypoint while the rest stay put. The unit icon hovers over a point midway between the two groups. Nothing can be done to get the second group to move. Even bringing them all back to the original location does not fix this. Some small units, such as HQs, won't move at all.
Had this yesterday, and sorted it by splitting the squad. It split into the two groups already created. A move order to get them close and they recombined without problem.

HTH

This one was already in v1.01. Not sure what the official reply is, so I'll bump it here:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=001972#000003

I noticed in v1.05 that if you tell the crew of this "bunker" to dismount during setup phase, they disappear from the map. Once the reinforcement is supposed to arrive, then the tank crew reappears and they can enter the tank and use it normally.

So how is this supposed to work?

If some units don't work as reinforcements, maybe scenario designers shouldn't be allowed to choose these units as reinforcements?

Hello everyone:

Steiner and Sgt. Muhammed:

This was listed in the 1.05 notes:

* "Group box selecting" works better in Elite mode.

Thanks for the additional tips regarding this function, however I cannot get it to work in "Veteran" or "Elite" modes. Something is apparently still not pinned down as of yet. Frankly, this one is pretty small potatoes compared to some of the other items that have been noted. That said, I appreciate your efforts to help.

Sgt. Muhammed, interesting point regarding the nuances of squeezing oneself around the interior of the M2/M3.

I would love to have more information about this, particularly as it relates to the modelling of behavior in the game ("bail out" animation used instead of "dismount?").

Extruding oneself from a turret hatch some nine feet above the ground while under fire seems like a rather harrowing standard practice. The good news is, after ten successful dismounts under this protocol, the squad leader qualifies for his Basic Jump Wings.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in. I really hope these issues get cleared up sooner than later.

I have created a new mission which is on a 4x4 km map. I am getting an out of memory error with this, v1.05, followed by a crash to desktop. Is there a bug with larger user created missions? I thought the max map size was 6x6 km, why can I only create up to a 4x4 km map?

My system:

6850 dual core 3.0 Ghz processor

2 Gb ram

8800 GT 512 MB vid card

Thanks

Originally posted by Pete Wenman:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Some squads don't stay together. Half the men will move to the designated waypoint while the rest stay put. The unit icon hovers over a point midway between the two groups. Nothing can be done to get the second group to move. Even bringing them all back to the original location does not fix this. Some small units, such as HQs, won't move at all.

Had this yesterday, and sorted it by splitting the squad. It split into the two groups already created. A move order to get them close and they recombined without problem.

HTH </font>