Move to LOS command

I don't know if my idea is original. I know that there's a lot of posts about the lack of a Hull Down command, and if I understand well it will be difficult to see it implemented in CMSF.

But there is a similar command that can be much simpler to realize: move to LOS. You select a unit, then you select a terrain feature, a point on a hill, or something else; the selected unit will advance in hunt mode (cautiously) until the selected point is in LOS. LOS to a point is a much simpler concept that Hull Down from a point, and is a very useful feature: very often I want some unit or forward observer go ahead and spot for artillery, but the only manner to have it done is to keep the unit selected all the time in target mode, and to stop its movement when the target is finally in sight.

CMSF is great! Battlefront keep up the great work.

Yesterday I was another time in need of a similar command: I wanted a Bradley in position behind a building to cover a crossroad with its gun. With the move and the revers command it's difficult to find the right position, and you waste some precious time...

I think you can use waypoints to achieve this.

plot a series of waypoints. Then click on a given waypoint. You can I believe then use the "target" command from the waypoint to sort out if you have LOS.

Then once you have the waypoint to where you want to go, you can delete the surplus ones that don't an the vehicle will move there.

Currently at the basic level you can actually "target" something without being in the location (something I'm suggesting should be removed) but I think at the higher levels of difficulty you can use this waypoint approach to check LOS on things like buildings, etc. (but not specific enemy units like vehicles, etc.).

Originally posted by gibsonm:

I think you can use waypoints to achieve this.

plot a series of waypoints. Then click on a given waypoint. You can I believe then use the "target" command from the waypoint to sort out if you have LOS.

Then once you have the waypoint to where you want to go, you can delete the surplus ones that don't an the vehicle will move there.

Currently at the basic level you can actually "target" something without being in the location (something I'm suggesting should be removed) but I think at the higher levels of difficulty you can use this waypoint approach to check LOS on things like buildings, etc. (but not specific enemy units like vehicles, etc.).

Not any more you can't - if you try and target from a waypoint, it draws the target line from where the unit currently is (with the effect that you can't order a unit to move in to LoS and start shooting at a target, since you can't actually issue the target command until the unit is in LoS - although you can use cover arcs obviously). You can also use the face command from the waypoint to the target direction, and see how that waypoint line interacts with the terrain - might be enough to give you a hint about whether you have LoS or not.

You can sort of achieve this now anyway (even without the waypoint idea).

From your original location if you use the target command it will change colour when your LOS is blocked. If you move your unit to where the colour change happens this will take you to where that obstacle to LOS was.

Now in the simple case of a single rise between you and the target, such a move will likely put you in LOS.

If there are multiple ridges, you may need to move to the first point and then "target" again to see if the subsequent rises also block LOS.

Yes, obviously what I say is that a simpler way to have it done would be very useful and smart. Now I'm doing as you say, gibsonm, and is some situations it's very boring.

Spotters on a hill: I give the command "slow", what I want is to spot a building; they go a little further than needed, now they are very vulnerable and visible: in a couple of seconds they are killed.

What I need is a simple way to achieve that, a command to have a unit just halt when in sight of a spot.

Originally posted by CptWasp:

Spotters on a hill: I give the command "slow", what I want is to spot a building; they go a little further than needed, now they are very vulnerable and visible: in a couple of seconds they are killed.

Sounds terribly familiar!

Best regards,

Thomm

backspace

pg17 under Command keys

How is it even possible to delete an entire string of waypoints? That one is new to me. I honestly want to know this.

yes it works for real time also, since you have a pause button. It's the same number of key strokes if you had a seperate command, IMHO

[ April 14, 2008, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: Huntarr ]

Why do you say it's only 1 click? There isn't a single function in the game that's one click. You can't even alt+F4 out of the game without it staying in windows memory. What I showed you was only 4 clicks. Any LOS command is still going to use a min of 3 clicks.

I'm just trying to help you out with what does work, now.

Originally posted by Huntarr:

How is it even possible to delete an entire string of waypoints? That one is new to me. I honestly want to know this.

The red buttons in the GUI, one with the ball and one with the arrows. I don't know what their difference is, both seem to do the exact same thing - cancel all waypoints.

Why do you say it's only 1 click? There isn't a single function in the game that's one click.

I'm just trying to help you out with what does work, now.

And we're trying to request a new feature. If you don't handicap yourself with the tabbed commands, you'd have plenty of commands with just one click away...

Originally posted by Exel:

[QB]The red buttons in the GUI, one with the ball and one with the arrows. I don't know what their difference is, both seem to do the exact same thing - cancel all waypoints.

Duh! Thank you. I only play WEGO so don't use em. I lobbied for their use to be restorted but found out why they are not allowed in WEGO.

Your welcome Wiggum. 2ebxzm0.jpg

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Exel:

[QB]The red buttons in the GUI, one with the ball and one with the arrows. I don't know what their difference is, both seem to do the exact same thing - cancel all waypoints.

Duh! Thank you. I only play WEGO so don't use em. I lobbied for their use to be restorted but found out why they are not allowed in WEGO.</font>

Sorry for not being clear. They were mainly intended for RT since EVADE does not function for WEGO and the PAUSE does not PAUSE you in WEGO playback nor does the cancel all waypoints CANCEL waypoints during WEGO playback. That is what I was referring to. At one time it was "planned" to use Instant Command functions during WEGO playback but BFC switched it off. It was mentioned in Aug 07.

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=002753

[ April 14, 2008, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Huntarr ]

Originally posted by Martyr:

Wouldn't "move to LOS" tend to produce Turret Down rather than Hull Down positions?

Yes it would, what you really need is a move to LOF command or even both (why not! ;) ).

Because of the different way LOF and LOS are treated, I find it is easy to get visual LOS to a point, because the unit mass is used to calculate the spotting, and the target line equals the LOS height line, so there are visual cues to where you should be.

The hard bit, which is impossible to control in any meaningful way, and hard to get feedback about, is getting all your guns in a position that they can all fire at the enemy.