Video Tutorial for CMSF Editor

Webwing

Video file, with audio. DivX 6.0 codec.

Basic Mission - Rapidshare

Basic Mission - Bestsharing

Create a basic mission.

File size: 32M

Duration: around 15 min.

A video tutorial that shows everything you need to design your first mission.

It’s meant for people that find the editor intimidating but would like to design a mission nonetheless.

The mission shown in the tutorial takes less than 10 min to design. Although basic all the elements you need to design bigger and more complex scenarios are there. You’ll have a better understanding of the workflow:

</font>

• Create the terrain and elevations</font>
  • Add units and set them up on the map</font>
  • Customize the quality of the troops.</font>
  • Create objectives</font>
  • Set up deployment areas.</font>
  • Program the AI to advance to the objective.</font>
  • and... can't remember what else, I need some sleep. tongue.gif</font>

If you already use the editor this is not for you. It’s very basic stuff. I only cover the bare minimum to have a basic mission into the game.

I did this late at night and had a few problems with video memory during recording. There is the danger that you will fall asleep as you watch it. Use it at your own risk. ;)

-

[ November 28, 2007, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: Webwing ]

Originally posted by Spindry69:

Awesome, downloading now. Now I really don't have any excuses to try the editor.

Thanks. Exactly. No excuses anymore! ;)

Originally posted by MarkEzra:

What an OUTSTANDING action step, Web!!! The CM Community is richer for your presence.

Thanks MarkEzra! I'd say exactly the same about you.

Had a good reaction for the videos in TOW but I didn't think there was the need for this kind of tutorial here. But I guess reading the instructions is one thing but seeing it in action is another.

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

Nice job.

Thank you.

Originally posted by tmhippo:

Hey fellow war gamers

I just tried to down load the basic mission file and it could not be found. Can someone send me the file tmhippo7@msn.com

Thanks Rodney

I just checked it and it seems to be working fine. By the way it's not a mission file but a video file, 34 Megs so can't really just email it to you.

But let me know if you still have trouble downloading it.

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

Book marked for use at home, thanks!

(sammy davis jr voice = on) ...and I mean that.

(sammy davis jr voice = off)

Let me know what you think.

Originally posted by JohnO:

Hey Webwing, great job. I like it.

JohnO

You do?? Not sure there is something there for you... Anyway, thanks.

Although I have to say that the mission itself turned out pretty good. I think it will put Hummertime to shame. It will be a new classic. George Mc's days of glory are over!!!! smile.gif;)

-

markl and aka_tom_w,

Hope you guys find it useful.

--

zwobot,

I was thinking about one for each area: Units, Maps and AI.

Let's wait for 1.05 first.

Also I need more experience. No point just showing people what the fields and buttons are for. You have all that in the manual, and there is a lot of info in the manual showing what everything is for. I would want to show it in use, practical tips and stuff. And the workflow, some common mistakes, etc.

If there is genuine interest in this I'll be glad to do it in the future.

But there's a lot of people here with more experience than me that will be able to help you out as well.

Originally posted by thewood:

Did you also do the TOW tutorials? Those were cool too.

Yep. Thanks.

TOW's editor is far more complex due to the scripting involved. Things can get very abstract for people with no previous coding experience. That was the reason for the first TOW tutorial.

It took me 6 tutorials just to scratch the surface. And that is just the mission itself. No terrain/map.

Here everything is in one slick elegant package. Less than 10 min you can have, terrain, forces, AI, everything set up. Of course, in 10 minutes everything has to be kept to a minimum. But still quite impressive piece of software.

--

[ November 29, 2007, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Webwing ]