Battlefront: I offer you free proofreading

Seriously. I've been a loyal customer for a very long time. It is painful to me that you spent so many years and so much effort on this great new game, yet the manual is riddled with grammatical errors and typos. For example, the last line of the manual: "You will likely regret forgetting this, do don't."

However, I love you guys. Therefore, I am offering to proofread the next manual for you guys for FREE. I am serious. Please take me up on it.

Originally posted by BDW:

Seriously. I've been a loyal customer for a very long time. It is painful to me that you spent so many years and so much effort on this great new game, yet the manual is riddled with grammatical errors and typos. For example, the last line of the manual: "You will likely regret forgetting this, do don't."

However, I love you guys. Therefore, I am offering to proofread the next manual for you guys for FREE. I am serious. Please take me up on it.

member # 30 !!! are you 100 years old smile.gif seriously though thats good going.

Thanks for the offer, guys! I have to say though that if you see typos in the manual it's usually not because we're lacking people that are willing to help. It's usually because we're lacking the time that you would have for something like, say, editing and publishing a book. There is always the balance of keeping the manual up to date for example, which means that we cannot "lock down" the text until the game game is reasonably done which in turn means that we cannot really proofread.

This will be especially evident to people who read the retail manual (actually, maybe you have that?), which differs significantly from the v1.01 manual, and I don't mean only because it's 120 pages shorter, it also contains some outdated information which changed between the time it went to print and when the game was finished (if this applies to you, make sure you check the PDF version which is also included in the retail release; it's on the CD.)

There is no good way around it (which is why most games use readme's). In this specific care here it was even made worse by the fact that CMSF is going to appear in something like a dozen languages in the next days and weeks, so we also had to juggle translations on the schedule.

Cheap excuses? Perhaps, but I'm trying to point out that the process of editing and proofreading is inherently different and that, in my view at least, since you're not buying a Novel with a CD but a game with a game play handbook, a different standard should be allowed.

This isn't to mean that the manual should be "riddled with typos". But then I think that you were exaggerating a bit, were you?

Anyway, you offered it, so I'll take you up on it - proofread the existing manual and email me the "bugs", and we'll put out a v1.02 as PDF for download!

Martin

OK - I think that between all of us who posted here, we should be able to correct all the typos. It really doesn't take that long, even if BF is changing the content quickly - just shoot it out to a few of us in the community and you should be able to get quality proofreading fast and free!

In any case, I've started on this guys. I'm actually proofreading the friggin' manual instead of playing the game! Now how is that for loyalty?!?!

[ July 28, 2007, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: BDW ]

Hi Moon - still proofreading this badboy. I'll shoot it over to you tommorrow, hopefully.

I'm taking some extra time to fix some of the writing style problems. Mainly passive voice stuff. When I am done with this proofread you guys are going to have a SWEET manual. I am actually learning a lot about the game by forcing myself to proofread this entire thing. It is actually a really good manual!!

• 5 weeks later...