I Like The New Camera

Finally downloaded the demo today. After all the talk about the new camera I just started moving the mouse and trying all the buttons etc. For me it fell into place in less than 5 minuets. I like this style of movement after Pacific Storm which is sort of similar.

As for the rest, well I just may have to read the manual.

From a quick look it seems similar, and I still feel at home with the game, even though it will need relearning. Seems to be the same old fiend Just reworked. Wish the old movement keys worked, but oh well.

Back to being slaughtered.

Cheers MarkL

With respect to the camera, I would like some transition zone between rotating mode and translation mode with respect to vertical mouse position at the left and right borders. It would be nice to switch seamlessly between those two modes!

Best regards,

Thomm

The camera is ok when the key lag issue is resolved. However it is not (in my opinion) as easy to use as other 3D games camera. However reading on this board I see that many people really like the current controls.

As far as I can see all "standard" camera movements are in the game it is only how the mouse/keyboard controls them that is the "problem" (for some).

I would like to suggest that the key binding could be expanded to include mouse movements and camera functions. This way players can make a configuration that they are custom to. Hopefully this is as easy as the other hotkey remappings.

well, thats the first "camera" thread i post in and i say that i have no problems with the camera whatsoever.

when i touch the left/right screenedges on the upper part of the screen, the camera rotats on point.

when i touch it left and richt on the lower part of the screen the camera "strafes" left/right.

up and down is forward and backward.

i mean thats EXACTLY as in CMx1...what to complain about that!?

all other controls are optional and new(beside the 1-7/9 buttons).

i cant understand the trouble about the camera either...

Well, one thing that just came to me while playing is the manual does not document correctly the way the camera works;

From the PDF manual, page 16;

W or Up Arrow ........ Move Forward

A or Left Arrow ........ Move Left

D or Right Arrow ...... Move Right

S or Down Arrow ..... Move Back

Actually when I use the W A D S keys you get X and Y axis movement to the camera, fine at first press and then faster larger movement when you hold the keys down for a bit. But, when I use the arrow keys I get tilt and panning of the camera. Not the end of the world, but a little glitch that kind of throws you when you first start to go through the game.

Q........................... Rotate Left

E ........................... Rotate Right

V ........................... Reverse View

R ........................... Raise camera

F ........................... Lower camera

Z ........................... Zoom out

X ........................... Zoom in

C ........................... Wide Angle View

1 - 9 ...................... Preset Camera Positions

OK, those work as per the manual.

But the next part;

Arrow Keys ............. Fine Movement

They result in tilting and panning again, not fine movement.

So yea the keyboard commands are indeed a bit off from what the manual lists.

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

With respect to the camera, I would like some transition zone between rotating mode and translation mode with respect to vertical mouse position at the left and right borders. It would be nice to switch seamlessly between those two modes!

Best regards,

Thomm

The idea has always been to change the cursor to immediately indicate when your in the "strafe" area as opposed to the "rotate" area. Its still on the list of UI changes, we just didnt have time to get it in before.

Madmatt

Generally I have no trouble with the camera, only two specific problems.

1 - I can't get it to move off the map (which makes it hard to see the whole map from up high)

2 - I wish it would keep the selected unit in view when raising the view height.

There may be ways to make this happen, I have not read the manual yet, but then I expect this to be intuitive - just like the old CM1 was.

Originally posted by Swift:

However it is not (in my opinion) as easy to use as other 3D games camera.

It is terrible compared to popular strategy games, or standard 3D software like Google Earth, Maya or 3D Studio. Orbiting camera is the most efficient, and therefore used in all of the above.

If I play a strategy game, I want to view the action from different angles, without loosing the focus on current the area of interest. I don't want to "fly the camera around" like in a flight sim.

However reading on this board I see that many people really like the current controls.

You can get used to everything, I guess. ToW has 3 different camera modes to choose. That would be nice for CMSF.

As I am playing CMSF for about the 3rd time, it suddening dawned on me that, " Hey, this camera is very easy to control with the mouse alone!"

With all the bad mouthing CMSF is receiving, (much of which is warranted for now...) I think you have to appreciate some of things they have done well the first time around, example: Mouse camera control.

*the best is UNIT LOCK view, then getting down near eye level and looking left and right as they advance...so cool!