Another mod idea

Hey everyone,

Although I'm new to the forum, I've read alot of posts and know there is a lot of talk about mods, particuarly the Marine pack due soon. I just wanted to through something up in the air that I think would have a very wide market.

I think a add-on, (not even a full expansion pack, perhaps a $10 or $15 add on) with a variety of multi-national forces would be excellent. For example British armoured units, Australian motorised or light infantry battalions, candaian mechanised units or Israli Merkeva tanks. To add to this multi-nat air support and arty could be added. This would not involve as much work as a full add on would, as many Canadian, Australian and British pieces of equipment are similar. For example, Australian Mech units use Lav-25 (desginated ASLV-25) guncars and ASLAV-PCs(personel carriers)(I assume the former will be in the marine Pack?), with remote weps systems almost identical to those on strykers.The Aust. Army also uses the M1A1. A few new uniforms, small arms etc. are all that is needed.

Just a thought, any other suggestions?

Will

[ April 29, 2008, 03:30 AM: Message edited by: Will7813 ]

Originally posted by Will7813:

For example British armoured units

If you are new to the forums you may not be aware that BFC are already planning to add British forces to the game in a module to follow the Marines one, if all goes to plan. As for the others, it has been hinted at that there will be yet another module, the nationalities of which have not been fully disclosed. However, some additional European forces such as the Germans and the Dutch would appear to be likely candidates.

Originally posted by Will7813:

For example, Australian Mech units use Lav-25 (desginated ASLV-25) guncars and ASLAV-PCs(personel carriers)

No we don’t. Our Cavalry units do and they are not “mech” as in “Mechanised Infantry”. Similarly the “mech” Battalions don’t use ASLAV at all. That doesn’t include the swag of differences between our LAVs and the USMC ones either.

with remote weps systems almost identical to those on strykers.
No they aren’t.

A few new uniforms, small arms etc. are all that is needed.
Not really. Try a different rank structure. Totally different weapons and performance. Totally different unit structure ...

Its a lot more work than “all that is needed”.

Will

See above.

Originally posted by Thomm:

They'd easily get 10 US$ out of me for just a M60 and a M113 ("Gavin" as I have learned lately tongue.gif )!

Best regards,

Thomm

Except that the M113 was never called a "Gavin" by any one actually serving in the military. :D

Will,

Certainly M1A1TC has created a set of uniforms and if what you are after is guys wearing DPCU then it may well be what you are after, but they are still Americans in every other sense.

Maybe it will suffice for your needs until an ADF sponsored mod (which is what it will require to get the detail right) comes along.

Originally posted by gibsonm:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Will7813:

For example, Australian Mech units use Lav-25 (desginated ASLV-25) guncars and ASLAV-PCs(personel carriers)

No we don’t. Our Cavalry units do and they are not “mech” as in “Mechanised Infantry”. Similarly the “mech” Battalions don’t use ASLAV at all. That doesn’t include the swag of differences between our LAVs and the USMC ones either.

with remote weps systems almost identical to those on strykers.
No they aren’t.

A few new uniforms, small arms etc. are all that is needed.
Not really. Try a different rank structure. Totally different weapons and performance. Totally different unit structure ...

Its a lot more work than “all that is needed”.

Will

See above. </font>

Will,

As it happens they normally operate as a Cav Sqn with a Mech Coy working as part of a Company / Squadron Group. or as part of a BG based around a unit HQ from 1st Bde.

The Cav guys use their own dismounts (RAAC soldiers, not RAInf) and the guys from 5 or 7 RAR will use their M113AS4 (M113A1 until then) when fully fielded. Leg Inf Bns' would use Bushmaster.

CM:SF doesn't model either Bushmaster or M113A1 or AS4, it doesn't even model the US M113 variants (nor do I believe will the upcoming USMC module).

Again in the cause of clarity, the Cav guys do not normally provide lift for the Infantry.

The guys at Al Muthanna as part of OP CATALYST Public Domain information on OP CATALYST consists of:

"The Overwatch Battle Group-West (OBG-W) based in the southern Iraqi province of Dhi Qar comprises approximately 515 personnel and consists of a headquarters, a cavalry squadron, an infantry company, ASLAVs and Bushmaster vehicles. The Battle Group is based at Tallil Air Base and from where it undertakes a security overwatch role for Al Muthanna and Dhi Qar Provinces as part of a larger Coalition Force."

The RAInf guys use the Bushmaster and the RAAC guys use the ASLAV's.

As for the RWS I'm not sure I'd call the difference between the 40mm Mk19 that are on some Strykers and the 0.50" Cal MG's on other Strykers and our type 2 ASLAV's "small".

Then if you want to compare the manning and weapons of a US Squad with an AS Section you will find yet more differences.

As I said if you want to use US equipment and organisations, but have them wear DPCU, then M1A1TC's mod is for you.

If you want a realistic version for use at COAC or for unit trg or to accurately reflect ADF, structure, equipments and manning, you'll have to wait.

[ April 30, 2008, 02:52 AM: Message edited by: gibsonm ]

Man, It seems way I'm waay out of my depth. I should look at sigatures more often. You obviouly have way more expertise than me on the armoured thing and I'm not going to argue anymore on that. I thought It was someone like me, and I thought I was right. I apologise.

T still maintain that it would not be that much of an issue reorgainising rank, numbers, small arms etc. to include multi- national infantry units.

Will

Will, welcome to the forum! Here, as you've discovered, you will meet civilian wargaming fans such as me with a keen interest in but not a fully comprehensive knowledge of matters of modern and contemporary warfare and military history/tactics/OOB's etc etc.

Also, (as you have again already discovered!), you will meet genuine military dudes, either currently or recently serving, who REALLY know their stuff, have a vast amount of experience in their respective branches of their country's army, and are amply capable of putting you right about the tiniest military related detail. Several of them serve as advisors and testers on the game, which helps a lot in it's realism and authenticity.

It's a rich mix here! But - as I hope you have also discovered - CMSF is a fantastic wargame/sim, with a great team behind it, some excellent player-designed scenarios and campaigns, and numerous more modules and add-ons to follow.

So have fun, make the most of it and, as someone, maybe the Buddha (though I can't remember) said, Be careful what you ask for. You might just get it!