One neat detail I noticed regarding casualties

We'll never add a complete medic component for several reasons, the primary one being playability. Taking care of wounded is a complex process that almost constitutes its own "game". Personally, I understand why people think they want it, and I also believe some would be happy with it, but overall I think it would not be popular with the bulk of players due to the extra complexity. Since the other reason to not do a full on simulation of evacuating wounded is a sizable development effort.. it's just not going to happen. Months of programming would be needed to do his right and that's a major investment for something that most people would probably complain about :D

Steve

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the subject of casualties, I'd like to know more about how the game tracks their status. We all know that buddy aid can make the difference between a casualty being dead and being merely wounded but I'd like to know when this is determined. Does the game monitor casualty status in real time? In other words, does a casualty have a certain chance of being dead when he is injured, and then a chance every few minutes after this of dying of his wounds? Does buddy aid "stabilize" a casualty, effectively removing any further chance of him dying? Is a casualty affected by further damage? For example, could a nearby airstrike result in a casualty being wounded a second time and subsequently dying?

Whilst some of these questions may seem like morbid curiosity, I think we need answers to them, as it could have an impact on how we play the game in future. For instance, in mission 2 of the Campaign, you have to search a facility and then destroy it with artillery and air power. If several of my men are casualties inside the building I'd like to know how my actions will affect their eventual outcome.

On the subject of casualties, I'd like to know more about how the game tracks their status. We all know that buddy aid can make the difference between a casualty being dead and being merely wounded but I'd like to know when this is determined. Does the game monitor casualty status in real time? In other words, does a casualty have a certain chance of being dead when he is injured, and then a chance every few minutes after this of dying of his wounds? Does buddy aid "stabilize" a casualty, effectively removing any further chance of him dying? Is a casualty affected by further damage? For example, could a nearby airstrike result in a casualty being wounded a second time and subsequently dying?

Whilst some of these questions may seem like morbid curiosity, I think we need answers to them, as it could have an impact on how we play the game in future. For instance, in mission 2 of the Campaign, you have to search a facility and then destroy it with artillery and air power. If several of my men are casualties inside the building I'd like to know how my actions will affect their eventual outcome.

I'd like to know about this also. It seems to me that the KIA count is a proportion of guys left on the ground when the mission ends. Maybe if you 'healed' all your guys you won't get any KIA?

I know since I've started paying attention and doing this, my KIA has dropped to about 1/5th of my WIA. Before it was 1/3rd to 1/2.

I'd like to know about this also. It seems to me that the KIA count is a proportion of guys left on the ground when the mission ends. Maybe if you 'healed' all your guys you won't get any KIA?

I know since I've started paying attention and doing this, my KIA has dropped to about 1/5th of my WIA. Before it was 1/3rd to 1/2.

Originally posted by c3k:

Hmm,

Is ther ANY value in trying to evacuate red casualties (as opposed to the lightly wounded yellow casualties)?

If there is value, can they be moved?

I'm imagining how planning for casualty evac could change an attack.

Thanks,

Ken

As I understand it, this is how medevac is treated in the game:

"Red" casualties are medevac cases. They are so messed up that they are either dead or in danger of dying unless someone gives them buddy aid. If buddy aid is given, their survival chances are increased and they disappear from the map, which abstractly simulates their medical evacuation. Just imagine they have been thrown in the back of a vehicle, placed at a casualty collection point, or taken to the rear by some invisible stretcher bearers, depending on the circumstances of the battle and what makes most sense to you.

"Yellow" casualties are not medevac cases and do not contribute to the end-of-game casualty figures. They are considered lightly wounded, with reduced combat effectiveness, and contribute a reduction in your side's "Condition" rating.

A condition of 100% means everyone who is not a "red" casualty is healthy and fighting-fit. As men tire, become panicked, or take light wounds, this rating drops and may result in a victory point award to your opponent for reducing your unit's combat effectiveness. N.B. it is entirely possible for a side to have taken several "red" casualties but still have a condition of 100%, because only the condition of the "survivors" is considered.

Hmm,

Is ther ANY value in trying to evacuate red casualties (as opposed to the lightly wounded yellow casualties)?

Thanks,

Ken

"Red" casualties are medevac cases. They are so messed up that they are either dead or in danger of dying unless someone gives them buddy aid. If buddy aid is given, their survival chances are increased and they disappear from the map, which abstractly simulates their medical evacuation. Just imagine they have been thrown in the back of a vehicle, placed at a casualty collection point, or taken to the rear by some invisible stretcher bearers, depending on the circumstances of the battle and what makes most sense to you.

"Yellow" casualties are not medevac cases and do not contribute to the end-of-game casualty figures. They are considered lightly wounded, with reduced combat effectiveness, and contribute a reduction in your side's "Condition" rating.

A condition of 100% means everyone who is not a "red" casualty is healthy and fighting-fit. As men tire, become panicked, or take light wounds, this rating drops and may result in a victory point award to your opponent for reducing your unit's combat effectiveness. N.B. it is entirely possible for a side to have taken several "red" casualties but still have a condition of 100%, because only the condition of the "survivors" is considered.

Hmm,

Thanks,

Ken